School Spirit

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Nov 7, 2015.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 7, 2015

Would you say your site has a lot of school pride/spirit? Do teachers and kids wear a special shirt on Fridays?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2015

We have a tremendous level of school spirit. Our students, and staff, are each assigned to a "Colour House" and earn points for their House by participating in school events and by being a good citizen. We have Spirit Days at least once a month and have Spirit Assemblies bi-monthly where we celebrate achievements. Our school mascot is a Gator--our students are "Gators" and the staff are "Edu-Gators". Pride in our school community is evident throughout the school and something we work hard to cultivate and maintain.

Some of our staff and students have school Spirit-wear; we sold shirts and hoodies near the end of last year to see what the interest level was and we'll be putting in another order sometime before Christmas.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 7, 2015

Every year, our administrative team designs a new school shirt and buys one for the entire staff. The PTA sells them for students. We also have 6th grade shirts every year, and another shirt for field day. On Fridays, we are allowed to wear any school shirt, along with jeans.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 7, 2015

One thing that's always fun for me to see... most of my students are new to my school (20/23 this year and last year, 24/28 the year before that, 26/27 the year before that). For the first quarter, they all wear their old school shirts on Fridays. By the end of the first quarter, most of them have started wearing our school shirts.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2015

Oh, forgot to say that all staff have been given school polo shirts; we wear them on the first day of school and for community events (Open House, etc.).

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 7, 2015

We - teachers - usually wear union shirts or school shirts on Fridays. Although, if I'm being totally honest, it has less to do with school spirit than it does with being able to wear jeans and a t-shirt when we wear the school or union shirts.

Students wear school apparel anytime they want, not on a particular day.

8. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Nov 7, 2015

We have school shirts, but no, I don't think that there's a lot of school pride. Most kids probably don't know what our mascot is and we have very few school-wide gatherings or assemblies.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2015

If it was dictated what I had o wear o school, I wouldn't be feeling too much spirit. I hate golf shirts and imprinted tees.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 7, 2015

A lot of the women at work ordered v-necks with our school name blinged out. They're really cute.

czacza likes this.
  11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2015

Now that I'd wear! LOL

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 7, 2015

My school doesn't required anybody to wear a school shirt, but we're allowed to wear jeans on Friday if we do wear a school shirt, so just about every teacher does.

bella84 likes this.
  13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2015

We can wear jeans whenever we want. About once a month we all wear jeans on a Friday and pitch in $5 toward a predetermined charity. We wear union shirts during job actions.
    Our student council organizes 'fun Fridays' such as mismatch day, sports jersey day, etc and we'll participate in those.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 7, 2015

We have spirit days on Fridays. I'm in a small town and more than half of my students will be at the Friday night football game. We go to at least one high school pep rally a season and have send offs when a team or organization is leaving for state contests.

15. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 7, 2015

Ok this might sound a bit silly but your school sounds a bit like Hogwarts. 10 points for Gryffindor ☺️

MrsC likes this.
  16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2015

I think that as well! The kids really get into it and there is loud cheering when the winning team is announced at every assembly.

I should also mention, when talking about school spirit, that our mascot was chosen by the students (though a vote) when the school opened.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 8, 2015

I'd say some kids have more spirit than others but it's hard to get kids to participate in things. They do well with our school clubs assemblies we hold once a season. Every club or team does a skit or cheer and teachers vote on a winner. They try to have themed days but it's hard to get kids to participate.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 8, 2015

Many of us have school spirit, but our school is going through several big transitions right now. Morale and spirit are on an uptick!

19. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2015

This is similar to my experience. We have shirts for the school and various programs. A good amount of kids wear them on Fridays but that does not translate to school spirit.

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2015

We had shirts that were given to us... I didn't not like it. It was tie dye & not even school colors. I wore it because we were asked to as the teachers as a group.

When I subbed I knew jean day was Friday so I would either where the school colors or a character shirt for younger kids!

There was also a teacher who went to a college who was the rival of the team I liked. We had a lot if fun when they played each other as well!!!

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 8, 2015

Not really. We have a student leadership team that tries to coordinate Spirit activities, but only a few students ever really do it. On Fridays some teachers wear the school T-shirts, but that's probably more of an excuse to go casual on Friday.

I'll probably wear school colors more when they give us 'staff polos'. The T-shirts were just a bit too casual imo.

22. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2015

This is exactly what I was going to say. We can technically wear jeans whenever we want, but I would never wear a t-shirt to school unless it was a school t-shirt. Almost everyone wears a school shirt on Fridays, but this is more about dressing down than school spirit. I think of "school spirit" as more of a high school thing connected to sports.

23. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2015

Me too. My first school had the school colors/jeans on Friday rule. I went to the Lauren outlet and bought a pile of blue and orange stuff I could tolerate wearing. Admin gave me the stink eye, but a royal blue and white striped Oxford over an orange tank fit the rules (and looked a lot more professional).

24. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Nov 9, 2015

My school has no school spirit (teachers or students). When there is a Spirit Day, a good number of students dress up, but only because non-uniform days are very popular. There is very little connectivity between classes.