School social media account

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherWhoRuns, Sep 17, 2017.

1. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Sep 17, 2017

My principal recently started an Instagram account for the school and wants us to tag any photos we take at school.

I'm not sure how to handle this. I don't particularly want my IG handle out there. It would force me to decline people who want to friend me. Is the best option to set up another account with my real name so it looks like I am participating?

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 17, 2017

Simple solution to this one: Don't take any photos at school that you plan to post to Instagram.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 17, 2017

Wow! What a nightmare for HR. Most schools go out of their way to get you to avoid social media like the plague, since you don't have control of what is seen or who is doing the looking. I see this as a legal nightmare because of confidentiality and liability issues. If you don't have permission to photograph every single person who walks through the school doors, this could present legal issues. I would take a stand and simply state exactly what you have stated here. No, I wouldn't set up an account with your real name.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 17, 2017

A simple solution that I have used is to email any pictures from my school account to my principal to let HIM post as he sees fit.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2017

This is what I do.

7. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Sep 17, 2017

I don't ever post pics at school, so my issue is not the question of right or wrong in that case. I think what I'm struggling with is whether or not to publicly follow the account she set up for the school and have my info out there.

I do wish she'd floated the idea first. I have never mentioned where I work- not the school or even the district- on any social media post. My personal stuff is locked down. I'm not nuts about the possibility of showing up on an open post.

8. JimG

JimG Comrade

Sep 17, 2017

So don't follow it.

Caesar753 likes this.
  9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 17, 2017

Is the IG account going to be private only to subscribers? If it's public, there's no need to subscribe to it.

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 17, 2017

We are all encouraged to be active on twitter. I don't post student photos with faces visible. Students all sign photo releases but I am just really in favor of student privacy.

I have a school only twitter (which also happens to be my only social media). Create a school specific instagram or do as others said and email to principal. Personally if I were you, I wouldn't create a second Instagram, because you could make a mistake and post the wrong thing in the wrong spot.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 17, 2017

I'm one of the we masters in our building. I maintain part of the school's main site, the Facebook page, and the Twitter account. I tried an Instagram for my classroom, but it was too much of a hassle keeping it separate from my personal,one.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2017

Yeah, I think you're overthinking this. Just don't follow it.