School Site or Grade Level?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by katrinkakat, Mar 25, 2008.

1. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2008

Which is more important? Working at a school site that you love, or teaching at a grade level that you want? I teach Kindergarten and am tentatively placed in 6th grade here at a school I love. The staff list will probably change before the end of the year but it got me thinking. I have put in a transfer request for K-2nd grade at "any site" in case I wind up with 6th. I know I will face a delimma when it comes to choosing grade level vs. school site. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
    Katie

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2008

Are you sure you will not enjoy 6th grade? :D I moved from kinder to fifth and I love it!!!

That would be a tough decision to make though. I guess I would go with grade level, but that's just my opinion. I'm optimistic and would assume that the new school would have great teachers working there too.

4. wig

wig Devotee

Mar 25, 2008

I taught K-4 for 15/16 years with the first five and last five in 1st. I reluctantly moved to six and although I have had the opportunity to move back to primaries, I would not dream of it. You may like it more than you think.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 25, 2008

An excellent principal makes all the difference in the world. You are always in control of how you teach your content--you are not in control of who you work with, or the support of your principal.

6. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Mar 25, 2008

In my opinion a supportive administration and a helpful and friendly teaching staff is priceless.If you love the school I would stay.

7. tomfoolery

tomfoolery Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

I began my teacher certification program wanting to teach sixth grade math. As I went through student teaching (10 weeks third grade, 10 weeks sixth grade math), summer school (incoming third grade, remedial reading), and long term sub assignments (third and fourth grades) I did a 180 and wanted to teach third grade. When I was hired for second grade I took the job and decided to trust my principal in finding the right fit. Granted, second and third grade are not nearly as different as kindergarten to sixth but maybe it's the right fit in your administrator's eye??

That said, I'm not sure I would have been as willing to teach third grade at one of the other elementary schools in the district because I don't think it would be a good fit...

Hopefully I haven't thrown you into fits...

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008

Having taught at a horrible school, and a fantastic school, I would say school site. They have moved me around a bit at the fantastic school. I know next year will be a leap as well, but I would totally prefer that to the horrible school.

In fact, I always thought I would be teaching MS language arts, but I have never taught above 4th grade! (except ST)

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2008

Thank you very much for all your input. I love the staff and principal at my site. I'm leaning towards staying at this point. :)

10. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Mar 26, 2008

I have to agree with Peachyness. I taught 2nd last year and didn't care for it. Now I am at the high school and love it!! My district is all screwed up and the site really sucks but the kids make it worth it all. I just remember that I got into teaching to be with the kids and if I'm with kids I don't like, they will know it and make my life miserable. But loving my kids makes it so much easier to get up every morning.

11. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2008

That makes sense, teacheratheart. I love my little Kinders. They make me smile everyday.