School shooter fled into class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms.irene, Oct 23, 2019.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2019

This happened at a school about 20 minutes from ours: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/22/us/santa-rosa-school-shooting.html

I had a nightmare last night about being shot at school -- in the dream, I wasn't a teacher, but a student. Clearly though, this is weighing on my mind. The fact that the armed shooter was in the classroom with the teacher is just horrifying. We get barely any training on what to do and how to respond to an active shooter situation. Last year, when we did a lockdown drill, this was one of the questions asked by teachers -- what do we do if there is the possibility the shooter is in our classes? We didn't get a clear answer. I am just thankful that this situation was defused and it looks like the victim is going to survive.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2019

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 23, 2019

Stuff like this makes my husband want me to get my concealed carry permit, which would be easy as he is an instructor.

At the same time, I have reason to believe at least half our staff is carrying at least some of the time (ruralish school). Which doesn't change the fact if it were my classroom.

Tired Teacher and a2z like this.
  5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 24, 2019

I got my CCL a couple years ago, but in my state, we're not allowed to carry in A LOT of places including schools, so it doesn't help me. I've never actually carried anywhere

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Oct 25, 2019

Weird..a friend and I were just talking about this issue yesterday. I have always felt safe at school. I always felt drills scared the kids the way they are done here. About 3 yrs ago was the 1st time, I felt unsafe. There was a kid who had extreme sociopathic tendencies who loved guns and had his own. His parents had zero control. He was hanging around the playground and an overwhelming feeling came over me at the time that we could all be mowed down out there. I never thought much about it after that.
    Fast forward to last night, we were in a packed auditorium when 3 teens ( 2 of which have spent time in juvey for violent crimes) and do not have any form of a conscience and another follower type boy were strolling back and forth. That same feeling came over me and I left. ( I was tired and kind of bored too.)
    Kids have been caught in our school with guns in the past. Most kids own guns or have access to them. Open carry or concealed is prohibited in schools here (other than if police drop by). So teachers wouldn't be allowed to carry here. Just the kids would have guns.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2019

And that is the scary part!

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Oct 25, 2019

Yep! It is funny because most of my life, I have felt safe in places most people would not go near. Then last night, it felt like a premonition, but nothing happened. Thank goodness!

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2019

What feels like premonition is often experience putting all of what you see in front of you, all the little pieces, into a very plausible outcome. Even if nothing happened this time, your brain is recognizing the potential for danger and making you aware of the potential. Just because you were safe where you were at that point in time doesn't negate the very real threat of danger. Your brain saw the potential for danger and you responded very sensibly. Well done.

Tired Teacher, Backroads and Obadiah like this.
  10. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Oct 26, 2019

Agreed. The brain notices more than we consciously remember or attend to. When we feel uncomfortable, even if we can't quite place a finger on it, something has alerted us. Concerning criminal situations, we're not battling the Joker or the Riddler who purposefully drop clues that practically give themselves away. We're dealing with the hidden and unseen. We need to vigilantly investigate our premonitions.

In line with that, we must eliminate the opposite reaction, where a teacher appropriately reports or takes action that turns out to have been unneeded, and the office or other teachers play down that teacher's actions. This causes teachers to hesitate prior to taking action. Hesitation wastes valuable time in responding to a real emergency. I realize that "crying wolf" can cause others to ignore our next cry, and I realize that the sky might really not be falling, but we're not playing Chicken Little when we respond to the only possible source of information that a tragedy might be imminent. When we're not sure if the threat is imminent or immanent, erring on the side of caution far exceeds allowing an event to take place. I can never forget one of the first major school shootings, when teachers reported hearing the gunfire and assumed it was just firecrackers. It wasn't.

11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Oct 26, 2019

Vickilyn, very true. I'd never seen the sociopathic ones together until then. The way they strolled and smirked gave me the creeps. I tried to blow it off in my head by thinking I was tired and bored. I never told anyone my thoughts that night. It was the next day and my friend asked me if I had noticed the trio . She had the hairs on her neck stand up and actually tried to do something to get them removed. They were unaccompanied minors. She was told that they were allowed to be there due to their age. The way things work here is they tie your hands until something really happens. ( Like they need to be caught with weapons for anything to be done.) Then they'd probably blame you for "not informing suspicious behavior earlier" if something bad happened.

12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Oct 26, 2019

Obadiah, That is right on! I don't even know what I could do to address this concern because it looks like a dangerous bond has been formed w/ these 3 teens. However, the concern was brought to admin and they were allowed to stay unaccompanied. I think by age 15, they are allowed to stay and they all 3 are 15.
    Our admin is the type who really is off put by any form of emotions. My friend and I are kind of opposite in the sense that she is much more emotional than I am. Maybe if I brought up the concern , he might listen because I can get the "emotions" separated from the conversation. If there was some rule about unaccompanied minors at events, these kids would never show up because their parent (s) are kind of AWOL. I can't see admin changing the rule though. We will see.