School-Related Insomnia

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teachfrog

teachfrog Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I have been reading in the tub since I was a kid. More than one book in my vast collection has been waterlogged :)

As for insomnia, I don't have that problem, but I do consistently dream about my school (and it's a new job, I've never taught in this school before!)

My room was supposed to be painted last week and the painter from the district didn't show up. Last night I dreamt I took matters into my own hands and started painting my room myself. The principal walked in and freaked out! Then random people started coming in and taking my furniture out of the room and rearranging it to how THEY thought it should look. Weird! :D

2. teacherchick22

teacherchick22 New Member

Aug 5, 2007

Thanks! I loved this. I will be on the lookout for a caddy!

3. teacherchick22

teacherchick22 New Member

Aug 5, 2007

4. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

Teacher dreams are way too weird. In the last one I had, I walked in late and unprepared on the first day. The room was full of parents and my administrators but no kids!:eek:

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 5, 2007

My thing is waking up through out the night... either wake up, go to sleep, rinse repeat OR just wake up and can't go back to sleep.

It is really bad if I go to bed and wake up 30 mins. later... that means it is going to be a rough night! LOL

What is also bad, Tylenol PM, unisom, walmart brand of sleep aid, doesn't help at times. I've also heard melatonin helps. It is a natural thing your body makes and if you don't make enough you can take a supplement. Sometimes it doesn't work either.

Maybe a rubber mallet upside the head would knock me out and keep me out! LOL

6. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

Ambien CR can be habit-forming by those who use it nightly. That is the very reason my doctor told me not to take it every night. She told me to choose 3-4 days a week to take it on. That was the condition for prescribing the medicine to me. :p It works very, very well.

I can not stress enough to make sure you have 8 hours to devote to sleeping or you WILL be groggy for several extra hours. With 8 hours of sleep I am fine. I jump out of bed waiting for the birds to start singing. :p

7. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 5, 2007

I was ASLEEP. Fast asleep, the glass of wine worked wonders. Then... the phone rang! ARGGGGGG!!!! Now I'm wide awake.

8. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

This is the earliest that I'm even attempting to go to sleep in a very... long.... time. usually I get so wrapped up in stuff, I get on a roll with preparing and then I come on here... and then I know it's a lost cause! I get addicted!!! If I don't break this cycle, September will be brutal :eek:
    So here I am. Signing off and pledging NOT to come back on till tomorrow morning! :yawn:
    Wish me luck!

9. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Try Valerian Root....it's herbal. I'm drinking a glass of wine tonight!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2007

Last night, I never got to sleep until 6 a.m. I slept until 10 then had to get up. Ugh

11. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

Teacher dreams....Started already. Class seemed all clean and neat and then tons of crumpled up papers from last year spilled out of a cabinet in front of an administrator, I'd missed the day before school principal meeting, I was late getting to class and the kids were already there, and when I walked into the class, there were a few kids actually climbing the wall... Hopefully these scenes stay in dream world:unsure:

Yesterday was up early, went for a nap around 2pm and woke up at midnight, got into PJs and slept the rest of the night. Guess I caught up on my sleep, huh? All without meds, wine, and rubber mallets upside my head:lol:

Thanks for sharing - this was a good topic.

12. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 7, 2007

Me too!!!! I was on the message boards until 3am and then just tossed and turned until like 6 or 7.

13. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

I HATE when that happens!!!:eek:

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

Yeah. It really hit me the next day at 4:30 pm so I took a nap, then was groggy. Stayed up until 1 am and slept in this morning until 10:30. What a life!

15. Mrs.G

Mrs.G Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I am new to this site, and couldn't believe how many other teachers out there are suffering from the same lack of sleep as me!! Last night, in an attempt at returning to my normal schedule, I went to bed early only to find myself awake at midnight reading. However, I got myself out of bed early this morning and am going to push myself until I collapse tonight. Hopefully each day I'll be able to wake up closer to the time I do during the school year, which is 5am!!

16. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

I've heard that one of the worst things you can do when you've lost sleep is to take a nap to make up for it. Also, it's supposed to be good to keep to a consisent bedtime and waking up time. It's probably all good advice, and I don't know about you, but I have a hard time following it!:lol:

17. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 7, 2007

During the school year I have no problems falling asleep at all! I usually am fast asleep by 10 pm and sometimes as early as 8pm. I am so exhausted when I get home from school that I probably couldn't stay up past 10pm if my life depended on it!

Sooo...the reason why I probably have insomnia during the summer is because I am not exhausted at night....because all I do is sit on my butt all day on these message boards!:lol:

18. hbdb

hbdb Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

All the time! I start having school dreams in July and have sever insomnia on the night before school. Maybe I'll try a beer or theraflu:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.