School-Related Insomnia

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2007

Do you ever not fall asleep at night for at least 1-3 hours because your mind is inundated with setting up your classroom, preparing materials, etc.? That's been me the last few weeks. I feel like I am awake most of the night, though some nights I am not. It normally goes away after school starts, but still, that's 16 days away and I don't need 16 nights without proper sleep.

I tried going to bed very early the other night... it still took 2 hours to fall asleep. I tried going to bed late and posted here to get "tired"... that wasn't intelligent (though I helped people out!! :lol: ). When I fell asleep another night, I closed my eyes and tried to block every thought out of my mind for quite some time. That was the hardest night. Nothing helped me to come up with a solution.

I really need help here. Is there something I can do? Who has been through this?

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

DO you see the people who are still on here? I am going through the same thing! It is like I don't want the day to end because I have MORE TO DO! Last night I got up after trying for about 40 minutes. I am just NOT tired! I think it has to do with the fact that I know I can sleep in!:woot:

4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

This happens to me all the time. I am thinking about what parents owe tuition, which staff member will cover the 2's classroom while that teacher goes on break tomorrow, and on and on and on.

I, too, try to block it all out... forget about it all. But I usually wind up getting up and doing work, then forwarding it to my work email so I don't forget the next day.

So sorry... no advice. But know that you aren't the only one...lol:rolleyes: .

5. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I have episodes of insomnia and if I'm on day 3 or 4 and can't fall asleep by 11, I take Lunesta 2mg. I get up at 5:30 and feel a bit groggy, but it quickly passes. I try to relax but there is so much to worry about!

6. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

Well...I guess I fall into that category since it is 3:16 AM and I CAN'T sleep! I think I am going to have to take sleeping pills next week to try to get me on a schedule for working people.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 4, 2007

Seriously! I can't stop thinking about everything I NEED to be doing but I CAN'T do any of it! It's driving me nuts!

8. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

You notice everyone above 'cept sleepy Kasey is "GREEN"???

At least some of us are onteh west coast.

Can I give my dh your emails so he believes I am NOT the only one?

9. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

This seems to be my life story! Last night I tried to get back on schedule and went to bed at 9:30. The only problem was that after 2 hours of tossing and turning I decided that I couldn't sleep. So, I got up, watched some tv, played on here for about an hour - and tried again. Still no success!! I kept playing this game and didn't get to sleep until 3am! Then, I got up at 6:30, went to the school until 4pm, came home - and was asleep by 4:30. I woke up at 10 and look at me now - I'm gonna be awake all night!

What a vicious cycle. This is not good!

10. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

JoJo where do you teach? I grew up on the north shore of O'ahu!

11. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

It's been pretty bad for me lately too. It's 1:40 am on the west coast right now and I'm not even close to being tired. One thing for sure is that I am going to take a sleeping pill the day before school starts. Last year I didn't and I paid the price! I didn't want to take one because I kept telling myself that I was going to fall asleep soon. Once it got past 2:00am, I didn't want to take one because it says that you should only take it when you can get at least 6 hours of sleep. Needless to say, I never fell asleep!:eek:

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

I have the opposite problem most nights... I can't help falling asleep early, then I get up super early in the morning.

My dh has been prescribed anti-anxiety medicine because he does the same thing many of yall mentioned (not being able to fall asleep thinking about things). When he takes it, it really helps him relax a bit.

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 4, 2007

In my younger days I was always stressing about school (even when I was a student!). Now it sometimes happens,but not too often.

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 4, 2007

I hate nights like that because you feel like you've been teaching all night long! LOL! I haven't gotten anti-anxiety meds yet, but I'm not above taking a little Excedrin PM when I know I'm stressed out. I also take a nice long bath before I go to bed.

15. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

I get all jazzed up thinking about school, beginning the week before we start. I totally agree with you, bandnerdtx. A long hot bath and something to relax. I have a colleague who uses an OTC called Simply Sleep. Her doctor told her to use it as it is totally non-addictive and will not make you groggy in the morning.

I sit in the recliner in front of the tv in the dark. Puts me right to sleep but I have to admit, not a restful sleep but better than none at all. Or I lie in bed and visualize, idyllic days of summer, super successful mornings with my class, what i will do when I get up, step by step, whatever it takes.

Sleep tight, everybody!:D

16. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 4, 2007

OMG...I could not fall asleep last night. I guess it was b/c I got our master schedule in the mail yesterday and our room assignments. It says I have a room, but it is "subject to change". So I still don't know if I will be roving or not. My mind is going a mile a minute!

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2007

I slept extremely well last night! Maybe because I didn't have to get up and set up the classroom!

I am jazzed up about school all the time. I close my eyes and start to see floating whiteboards, books, kids' faces... it's almost disturbing, but also to the point where it's funny!!

18. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

What do think about pulling an all nighter and then we'll all be exhausted by 9:30 pm the NEXT night! :eek: Remember college?

I'm interested in the Exedrin PM and other meds....hmmmmm.....

19. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Hmm...I'm actually going to the doctor Monday to see about anxiety medication or sleeping pills. I can't sleep and I've had a lot going on and am constantly worried about something or another. I hope I can get something good that'll work for me.

20. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

THANK YOU!!! Thank You! Thank you!!!:D :thanks:

I no longer feel like an idiot! I used to have trouble sleeping before school started when I was a student (even in college) but it is worse than ever as a teacher! It started when I was student teaching and was bad last year but seems worse this year, my second year of teaching. I have a tranquilizer the doctor gave me but I only take about 1/2 the dose because I don't like the groggy feeling the next morning. I thought I was a neurotic nut because I'd never experienced this when I was in the business world. Is it because even though we have 10 or so weeks off, we all seem to gear up for the coming year most of the summer either taking classes, reading professional materials, etc?

21. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

I am a total "mind racer" too. Mind just goes a million miles an hour planning for the next day, so I get up, I eat, I am addicted to online Scrabble...... lol, we are all in the same boat :)

22. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

If I know I'm going to have one of those nights, I take Tylenol Simply Sleep. I'm not sure if teachers have a pattern of becoming anxious, or if anxious people have a pattern of becoming teachers, but there sure is some kind of a pattern here!

23. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

I have alot of trouble falling asleep most nights...even when I'm getting excited about or ready for school. One thing my doctor mentioned was to make sure not to watch tv or be on the computer for at least 1/2 an hour before going to bed. The light that the screens put out stimulates your brain and does not help it to "shut down" for the night. Reading a book, chatting with my boyfriend, and watching my fish swim around in the fish tank...some things that have really helped me to fall asleep a little easier! :)

24. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

Tonight I think I should be able to get to sleep normally, since I was up at 7am to go shopping for the Tax Free Holiday in FL. I too have had a lot of trouble getting to sleep lately. Someone had mentioned a hot bath. Not a bad idea.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2007

The same thing happens to me. Sometimes it works for me to write down the things I'm thinking about. For some reason it feels like I can remove all those swirly thoughts from my head by writing them down (sort of like a Pensieve, I guess!) and it helps me get to sleep, knowing that tomorrow I can pick up right where I left off.

26. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

I've been sleeping every other night for the last week or so. I'll be up til the sun comes up one night and then finally be able to sleep the next, but then up again after that. But on the bright side - I'm finding excellent ideas reading posts all night. I am really glad to see that I'm not the only one losing sleep and that I'm not the only one dealing with anxiety issues. I had some minor anxiety issues in college, but it has really increased since I started teaching. I've become a major control freak and get extremely panicked when I don't know what's going on & I can organize things my way.

27. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Boy if our parents could read these posts I don't know if they'd feel thrilled that their teachers cared so much:) , or freaked that their entrusting their children to us!!!:eek:

Whatever the case may be, I appreciate your candidness, I truly need dh to read these, he just doesn't get it, ......"You've been doing this for years, why are you obsessing?:confused: "

based on the typos I had in this post initially, it is time for bed.....

28. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Aug 4, 2007

POSSIBLE REMEDY

I sure don't want to sound like a lush, especially since I'm not much of a drinker!, but I've heard & read many times that a glass of wine or a beer before bed will aid in quick & sound sleep. And I believe red wine has other benefits, as well. Seems like it would be better than turning to pharmaceuticals. Less side effects, too.

29. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Oh, good, it's not me. :eek:hmy: When I get any kind of project going, I can't let go of it. I play it over and over and over in my head. Makes restful sleep a little challenging. I have totally planned and decorated a classroom that I have not seen, "met" kids I've never seen, talked with teachers who don't know me yet. Until I see the curriculum and what materials are available, I can't really plan any lessons. Fortunately, that will happen Monday. Unfortunately, I'll probably stress over it late at night when I need to be creating a "fall" schedule. :help:

Of course, when middle age and menopause took hold, the sleeplessnes got worse. I can't sleep if the room is the least bit hot. And, to make matters worse, my hooby snores like a freight train.

I've got a week now before I have to return to the real world and it's looking pretty grim for the sandman. I can't take the groginess of prescription sleep aids, I cannot take anything with diphenhydromene in it (Benedryl...which is what all the OTC stuff is...check the packages), and I must be very careful of any type of caffeine after 4-5PM. My favorite "sleep aid" is Actifed, but it's embarrassing to purchase it cuz it's pretty well controlled OTC here in Missouri cuz of all of the meth labs around. It's the only thing that makes me sleep, if I don't take it too often. Then, it has pretty much the same effect as Benedryl...hyperspeed for two or three days! :eek:

I know what's sensible. No TV, stay off the computer, get some exercise late in the day, don't eat too much too late, do more yoga, and read. Do I do these things? No, I continue to invest in torture. :yawn:

30. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 4, 2007

Right before school starts (well, three weeks before school starts!) and the first couple of weeks after school begins, I tend to do this too. My brain just won't shut off at night. I go to bed when dh does, but if I can't sleep after thirty minutes, I get up to work on school stuff or read a book. Thankfully, after school gets in session and the routine is back, I don't have the spinning brain syndrome very often.

31. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

Here's my solution. I've tried the herbal stuff and the over the counter medicines...they don't work for me. I've tried Ambien CR for the past week. It works like a charm. A few pointers though.

1. Use it only 3-4 times a week or every other day. It can be habit forming from using it EVERY day. Choose your days wisely. I choose Sunday night, Monday night, and Wednesday nights.

2. You NEED 8 hours of sleep or you'll feel groggy. I tried it with 7 hours...not a pretty sight.

3. Have everything done that needs to be done before taking this. Take it, and then go read a chapter of a book in bed. It kicks in within 15-20 minutes for me.

32. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

I have this problem as well!!

I have this problem on several levels. I am not a regular classroom teacher yet. I work as a substitute and at Sylvan Learning Center. I am working right now during the day at Sylvan. I sometimes have trouble getting to sleep because I am doing one of several things, I am thinking about the possibility of getting a job interview, thinking about work the next day, or thinking about something in the teaching book I have just read. I also have this problem during the school year. I have found that if I know the night before about a sub job that I will wonder about the class and worry about oversleeping so it takes longer to get to sleep. If I have trouble sleeping I do one of two things I either drink a wine cooler or I take an aspirin.

Mldouglas

33. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 5, 2007

OOh!!! Where and how can I play online scrabble?

34. lainaks

lainaks New Member

Aug 5, 2007

I have the same problem!

I have been having horrible insomnia lately. I wake up so many times in the middle of the night and I stay awake for hours. I know my stress is because this is my first year of teaching and I am still finishing up my student teaching. (This is our last week.) There is just so much to do! I get up in the middle of the night and write down the things that are bothering me, that need to get done, and that seems to help some what. I need to get so many things copied for the beginning of the year but the principal doesnt know if I am going to be first or second grade yet so that is frustrating! I cant copy DOL or any spelling without knowing what grade I am! She said she will know this week so hopefully that will help relive some stress!

If anyone has any ways to deal with this I would love to hear it!

Good luck to all of you dealing with insomnia!

35. teacherchick22

teacherchick22 New Member

Aug 5, 2007

Sleepless in Georgia!

:hugs:
    I had to jump in with all you sleepless teachers. My mind has been going crazy :huh: I think the only people who understand this are teachers. I imagine the parents are sleeping VERY well...knowing they are about to trade ownership in a few days! Wine, pills, counting sheep...we are going to be some wide eyed people when we meet the 2007-2008 gang. Thanks for all the info. I am in good company. Just means we care :love: Sleep tight...it is getting to be morning time. I see a nap coming.:lol:

36. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

What is Ambien CR and how is it different from Tylenol's Simply Sleep (other than SS is not addictive, or so I've been told ).

37. apostle2

apostle2 Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

Sleepless in NC

:woot: :eek: :help: :yawn:
    I am in the same boat. Stayed up until 5:00 this morning surfing the internet for technology ideas to use in my clasrrom. UUUGGGHHH.

38. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Ambien CR is a controlled release sleep aid that is offered by prescription only. It is a different chemical compound than any of the other OTC aids, which are almost always (at least in my experience) comprised of diphenhydromene (Benedryl). If you've ever taken Benedryl, it probably knocks you out (unless you're like me and my son who get very hyper from it!)

Ambien is probably like Lunesta. You've probably seen the commercials with the little butterfly. They say it's not addictive in the classic sense, but I'm betting that you can become pretty dependent on this stuff. I would talk to my doctor or my pharmacist about the different types of sleep aids.

I take Actifed which is an antihistamine (like Benedryl) but is a different compound than diphenhydromene (Benedryl) and usually knocks me out, if I don't take it too often. Otherwise, I eventually get the jitters and "restless leg syndrome" stuff and really can't sleep. So I can only take it occasionally and during allergy season (which is now).

39. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 5, 2007

Sometimes I get into this kind of pattern :| Here is what I do:
    1) get up and make a list of what needs to be done (this helps because I know I won't forget about it the next day) 2) Take a warm bath 3) I use lavender vanilla linen spray from Bath & Body Works 4) Read a relaxing book (not professional).
    Honestly, it is a little indulgent, but now I do the above every night :rolleyes: I usually allow 45 minutes for the bath and time to read (I even read in the bath with a tray that my husband bought for me :wub: )

40. teacherchick22

teacherchick22 New Member

Aug 5, 2007

Reading in the Tub!

Thanks so much for this idea!:) I am going to try it out (with a book.) Where did you get the reading tray for the tub? That just made me laugh out loud! The things we do to quiet our racing brains.:D Thanks for your advice. I am going to try your routine.:angel:

41. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 5, 2007

Bath Caddy
    This isn't the exact one I have, but it is close. They have a lot more of them out at Christmas for gifts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.