School Rankings

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mathemagician, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 21, 2012

I don't know what it's like in other states, but a magazine NJ Monthly here in NJ posts HS rankings every two years.

They are here:

https://www.box.com/s/7c300516930c32f71a8e

I frequent another forum, and people take these rankings as though they are the gospel. On the other hand, I noticed one district in the top 10 in 2010 feel down to the 60s this year.

What value do you place in these types of rankings? Is it all based on pleasing the readership? Where approximately does your district lie in your state's rankings?

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 21, 2012

Ehh, this is like the US News and World Report ranking of colleges and universities. They count for something, but I would hardly say they provide the definitive list of best and worst. The factors in the ranking equations should be analyzed before one gives any credence to such lists.

Not sure if Maine ranks high schools, but my university was recently ranked in a list of party schools. The local media have been jumping on that one. Silliness. Every school is a "party school" if you look in the right place or ask the right questions.

4. SeñoritaM

SeñoritaM Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

As a fellow Mainer, I know exactly what you're talking about :lol: I don't buy it. Like you said, any school can be considered a "party school" depending on who you ask

As for Maine High School rankings, I was curious and googled it... Coincidentally, I found the US News rankings you had referred to (plus a website called "school digger" :p

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/maine
    http://www.schooldigger.com/go/ME/schoolrank.aspx?pagetype=top10

The HS I graduated from is in the top 10 on both sites :D So that makes me happy. The HS in the district where I teach (at the MS) is not even ranked on the US news one :lol: (Personally I think it's a pretty good district, but I guess I'm biased :p)

On that school digger site it's ranked in the top 20, so that makes me feel better XD (the MS I teach at is ranked in the 50's though hahaha not sure how to feel about that. :p Overall, the district I teach at is ranked in the 30s in the district-rankings).

So, to answer Mathemagician's question, I don't really put much value on it, but seeing a school I went to (or taught at) high up on a list like that would make me happy, because even if it doesn't really mean much, it must mean something, right?

5. Math

Math Cohort

Aug 21, 2012

Not even close to the top.

6. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 21, 2012

The "Philadelphia Inquirer" usually runs an annual "Report Card on the Schools" feature every fall. It doesn't really "rank" schools or districts, but lists state test scores, expenditure per student, etc. for Southeastern Pennsylvania, nearby New Jersey, and northern Delaware schools.

We're usually on "double-secret probation" with the state.
    :whistle:

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2012

SO TRUE!

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

Not long ago, a major news magazine published its annual school rankings report. There were some pretty serious errors in its data collection and analysis. Based on that, I think that those sorts of reports are pretty shady and not credible.

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=158842

9. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

Wow, just looked up my school I graduated from. Apparently, there were 0 full-time teachers the year after I graduated. While it is a small school, I don't think all of the teachers just up and left for a year. My sister was going to school that year, so I'm pretty sure there were teachers. :)

I don't know if I would trust all of the numbers.

10. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 22, 2012

Thanks for looking those up. I took a gander (although I would never expect my HS to be on a top anything list!) and the variability in those lists proves just how tenuous anything ranked can be.

11. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 22, 2012

There are lies, there are damned lies, and then there are statistics!