School Psychologist jobs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lionvirion, Jun 21, 2014.

1. lionvirion

lionvirion Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

Does anyone know how hard it is in your area to get this job? My husband just graduated and is searching for his first school psych position. Just looking for some hope or encouragement that he will find something before school starts. We're in NY. But he's applying in CT too and we're becoming willing to move pretty far away if that means he'll have a job. Can you tell me where you live and how hard it is to secure this job?

3. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

I live on Long Island. I'm a teacher, but my best friend is a school psychologist. She landed a job in a special ed school after her masters, but only because our friend's mother is a principal there. Then she had to move to Chicago because her husband was accepted to an MBA program at Northwestern, and she worked there for a couple of years. She said that it wasn't easy for her to land the job, but her husband's program actually has job placement programs in place for the spouses of the people in this MBA program, which helped her with her job search.

They just moved back to NY this year, and she landed a job as a school psychologist leave replacement this spring. She is currently looking because her position ended, but is finding it difficult, even with a couple of years experience under her belt. I should add that my friend is awesome, she went to Emory for undergrad, always had great grades, and is just wonderful.

I'm looking for teaching jobs, and I haven't seen very many school psychologist jobs posted at all. If you think about it, there is typically only one psychologist in a school, if that (mine splits her time between two elementary schools in the district).

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 21, 2014

If you're looking on Long Island, I'd advise looking elsewhere. I have three friends who went into school psychology; none of them are working in education.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2014

It's hard to get a job for that here, mostly because those positions are being cut and there are so few per district, like missD was saying. One of the districts I was working in had only 3 school psychs for 23 schools!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2014

Check NC. My district was large (compared to most districts in other states) and it seems like there were always new ones. And I taught in a fairly small district by NC standards.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2014

That's probably about our ratio as well, waterfall, although my school district is much, much larger. On average, the psychologist usually spends half a day per week at each school they service.

8. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 23, 2014

There always seems to be demand for qualified applicants in NJ. My wife is a school psychologist and has seen some awful people get job offers.

9. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

In my area of SE TX, school psych jobs are pretty easy to get due to the high demand. They are not easily filled positions and many, many districts. If you guys lived down here I'm sure your hubby would get a job in no time.

10. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 4, 2014

Teaching jobs are fairly easy to get, if your willing to move. School Psychologist jobs are even easier to get, but again you have to be willing to move. Many states hire the school psych jobs and then lease them out to the schools. If you keep applying you will find something, but again you might have to move and live in a place you don't necessarily like.