School posted my position at job fair...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Feb 8, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 8, 2009

On my school's website it doesn't say they are looking for a biology teacher (which I am)...but the private school job fair was today...and my bf ran in the building to get a list of schools that were hiring, and for what...
    well...
    my school is hiring for biology

-sigh-

I am so depressed. The other Biology teachers aren't leaving (and are very good teachers)...and since I was on that 'intensive assistance' contract...i'm guessing they don't want me back...

there are absolutely no schools hiring for my position...and the ones that are seem to be way way way too far (as in 3 hours away...moving not an option right now.)

I don't know what to do...I feel like it would be pointless to try and prove myself if they are already looking for a replacement....and if I wait to send resumes to schools...then any job I could qualify for will be already taken. I'm supposed to have my formal meeting 3/31/09.

advice? everyone has been so great the past few months...

:thanks:

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 8, 2009

What a way to find out that you're not returning next year! Let's see what the principal says the reason is on 3/31. Hopefully, yours doesn't say to you what mine did to me about not being a good fit, which is the broadest, most cop-out reason I've ever heard. I guess it's time to pass out those resumes.

Good luck! :)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2009

Why wait until March 31? Go to the principal TOMORROW and ask about the posting for a bio teacher at the fair.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2009

I was going to suggest the same thing, czacza. Ask the principal why the position was posted. You need to know so you can do what you have to do to make sure you have a job next year. :hugs: st. I'm so sorry.

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 8, 2009

i've started looking at some other schools...man this sucks

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 8, 2009

I'm sorry you are going through this too. My position is still posted since early December and as far as I know, the principal at the private school is teaching my former class. They have a director and principal and it's a small class so they're probably doing fine but it's weird seeing your position posted.

Is there any chance they need an extra teacher at your school before you jump to conclusions?

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 8, 2009

It's a private school...so I'm not sure about enrollment numbers...and I don't want to assume the worst...but how can I not considering things have been rocky since the first day back in january...
    I just don't know how to approach this w/o crying...

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2009

Talk to your principal.....perhaps some is leaving and you don't know about it or perhaps enrollement will be up for next year and they are looking for another teacher.

Also, many schools interview for anticipated openings. Meaning they do inital interivews, collect resumes etc.. incase someone decideds to leave. This way they are read to hire someone new. I have interviewed for MANY of those jobs!!

Keep you head up, get your resume out there and talk to your principal ASAP!

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 8, 2009

Many schools will post "anticipated vacancies". Nearly every year we post those in all the major content areas because jobs have to be posted 30 days before hiring can begin. I we post them as "anticipated" then if we need a position, then we have already posted for the amount of time indicated and can hire quicker in last-minute situations.

11. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 8, 2009

thanks everyone...trying to think positive...

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2009

I'm sorry, ST. Hopefully, like other posters have said they're just looking for anticipated vacancies.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 8, 2009

I agree with going to the P and asking. If it is your position, you could ask if you can at least reapply and interview for the job before they make a final decision. if they agree to that you can plead your case for what you have learned and what you plan to do differently. Also, you can point out that you are more familiar with the curriculum and know your weaknesses. Look up professional development opportunities that play to your weaknesses and let the interview team know that you plan to attend and will use your new skills to improve from last year. Most principals would be impressed that you took the initiative to compile all that information and form a plan and might be willing to renew you if you show them that you are willing to work hard and do what is necessary.

14. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 8, 2009

Has anyone ever been successful in reapplying?

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 8, 2009

Ditto everyone who is telling you to talk with your P. Just the him/her what you told us about how you found out and politely ask why they are interviewing for another biology. I totally understand why you are afraid they are letting you go, but keep in mind the other possibilities as well. They might just be hiring to replace another teacher that is moving to a different class load or adding a section of biology or have an "anticipated" vacancy (which does NOT mean you are on your way out.) Good luck and I'll keep you in my thoughts.

16. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Feb 8, 2009

I know that our school has to post positions for cluster teachers, even if no one is going anywhere. its just a formality.

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2009

At my school, if you're hired after June, they HAVE to give you a letter basically saying your contract is up. However, usually everyone stays in the same job as long as enrollment is ok and the teacher did a good job. My job DID go out in district email last year because of that. It didn't mean at all that they didn't want me to stay-it was just a formality that they had to do. So in my case it was fine.

I would talk to them as soon as you can, because it might be something like my situation. If it isn't, they should be letting you know as soon as possible so you can try to find another job.

18. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 8, 2009

thanks to everyone for the advice... i have a migraine from thinking about all of this

19. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 9, 2009

I went in today not really nervous...just in pain from headache. I talked to him about the posting, and he told me that science is the hardest subject to fill...so they wanted a pool of applicants. He said that he doesn't fill people's positions from under them...and he would have been very upfront with me about my contract if they didn't want to renew it.
    He said not to worry. Well...that is some good news...but I am still going to work my butt off x 100 to make sure I get to stay!
    Thanks for all the support. He even thanked me for coming to him and asking, instead of letting it sit and me be worried.

20. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2009

Yay! That's great! I know from experience that going and asking is a lot better than worrying because soon all you are doing is worrying.

21. smalltowngal

Feb 9, 2009

Great news!

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 9, 2009

So great that you went right in and talked to him.

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2009

I'm glad you went and asked him so you can now stop worrying about that. I hope everything works out for you!

24. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Feb 9, 2009

:hugs: i'm sorry to hear that. i'm sure you'll find something. what about working somewhere like Sullivan Learning Center?

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 9, 2009

Fantastic! Keep working really hard to prove yourself. The best thing you can do is continue asking for help and working to improve your teaching. Big sigh of relief and have a drink on me.

26. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 9, 2009

thanks everyone :)

27. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Feb 9, 2009

Are there any female bio teachers? Maybe someone is pregnant and they are looking for a qualified Long term sub. That's a really hard job to fill!

28. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 9, 2009

Nope...just me,a guy,and one non-pregnant female...those 2 aren't leaving

29. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Feb 9, 2009

What a great relief for you! I think that is a particularly common practice among school districts, especially for hard-to-fill positions such as science. As you said, none of you are planning to leave next year, but in the Ps mindest, he is probably thinking it is best to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2009

I'm so glad to hear the good news.

And I really LIKE your principal!!!

31. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 9, 2009

he's seems ok ;)

I'm so lucky to be in a school that wants to help the teachers so much. I want to stay!!

32. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2009

Gee, you'd think they'd let you know first. I'm so sorry!

33. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 9, 2009

:celebrate: YAY!

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2009

Now, don't you feel better?
    :)

35. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 10, 2009

yes...but still wondering what they are thinking about me this semester

36. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2009

I know that feeling! I've been on a pdp (professional development plan) since last year... I have one observation left until they let me know my fate! My principal should be coming in either today or Friday to do the last observation.... I'm really really nervous! I have worked my butt off for this for the last year!

37. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 10, 2009

good luck!!!!

38. smalltowngal

Feb 10, 2009

Good luck teaching!!!

st-you have worked hard, and let them know the changes that you are making to become a better teacher. Good luck!

39. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 10, 2009

yahooie! great news~:hugs:

40. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 10, 2009

thanks again for the support!