School on Military Base

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Shannon1980, May 27, 2008.

1. Shannon1980

Shannon1980 Rookie

May 27, 2008

I just got offered a position with a school district (public) but, the actual school will be on a military base...I was wondering if any of you have ever done this? Maybe what to expect? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 27, 2008

*Be prepared the first couple of times to be stopped (unless you get a tag the first day).
    *A lot of students coming in and out of your class, some only staying for a few days, weeks.
    *Be prepared for students to display some emotional behaviors when dads/moms are on training missions/away.

4. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

May 27, 2008

I don't have any experience teaching on base, but my fiance is in the military and I've considered what it would be like to teach on base. I think it would be very difficult, emotionally, but I think you could do a lot for those kids.

Sorry I'm no real help, but good luck to you if you take it. You'll have to keep us posted. :)

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 27, 2008

Shannon1980, it will be my first year of teaching as well as my first year of teaching on a military base this upcoming school year. I would definitely agree with smalltowngal about preparing yourself for how the students you start the school year will definitely not be there when you end the school year. I'm sure it will seem like a revolving door at times. :( I'm also sure that it will be as if all your parents are single parents either because of tdys or deployments. I would also suggest learning some of the military lingo so there is less of a communication barrier with the parents.

6. time2teach

time2teach Companion

May 27, 2008

Sticker or not on your car, you should be stopped daily at the gate and your ID checked. Ours is checked everytime we go onto the base. Expect new kids to come in throughout the year, and others to leave just like in any school. A structured classroom will help them alot, since one or both of their parents could be deployed or going to a training. It will give them a sense of security.

7. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

May 27, 2008

I don't think you will have many discipline problems on a military base. My sister and her husband are military and they say the parents are held accountable for their children's actions so the students act appropriately or else. I think a military base would be a great place to teach. Best of luck.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 27, 2008

Expect A LOT of parent particpation and typically really great kids (somewhat biased since I was a military kid:)) and if the school is on base ask what the procedure is when the base is on alert or goes into alert status. Many times the base closes down and no goes in or out. Due to the fact many students are coming and going, the office staff usually does a great job easing students into your class. Also, these kids know how to be the "new kids" so it is not as tramatic as it might be in a "regular" school. I do agree with everyone about deployments - it is really hard when your mom or dad is gone. You should pay special attention when units are deployed but also when units come home. Parents coming home can be almost as upsetting to the household as when they leave. Also, be prepared for some students to act out if when other students parents return while their parent is still deployed.

Overall, I think you will love working with a military school and the parents.