School (office) Politics: Do you get involved?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mldouglas, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Mar 12, 2008

I just wanted to get some opinions on something that happened to a friend of mine. I talked to her the other day and she had a bad day with a an autism class that started out with the teacher over the plans not there. My friend also had some issues with things in the room and something about some kids not getting serviced. She was talking with some other teacher's and they were encouraging her to report this teacher to the principal. My friend did tell the teacher in the note she left that she would be talking with the principal the next day. So here is my question, when you have a situation that you feel is unprofessional on the part of the regular classroom teacher do you tell or just let it roll off your back? I don't like to get involved in teachers talking badly about other teachers because I don't know the entire situation. Any thoughts or opinions on this subject!!

Mldouglas

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2008

If it involves the students and them not getting the best education, then I would definitely report the teacher. If these students aren't getting serviced like they should be, then it is your friends duty to report it and make sure the principal knows.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2008

That's a tough one. As a substitute in a classroom, it is difficult sometimes to tell exactly what is happening. For example, for the past several weeks, some of the students who usually come to my room for math, reading and writing often remained in their regular classroom during this time (due to an arrangement made between the regular ed teacher and myself). To anyone else, it may appear that I wasn't providing programming for my students, but that wasn't the case. As a substitute in a classroom I would be careful; you don't want to jeopardize future work by reporting something that may not be accurate. On the other hand, if the substitute is in the classroom frequently and knows for a fact that students are not being serviced, a discussion with administration is warranted.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 12, 2008

I think if she was only in that classroom for one day, she really doesn't have enough information about services to really lodge any type of complaint. She should inform the principal in writing that the teacher she was subbing for left no lesson plans. To me that is really the only reportable offense that she can really verify unless she been in the room long term. She should not report the teacher because others tell her to - that surely is playing with fire.

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 12, 2008

I stick with the MYOB rule.

Mind Your Own Business

As a substitute, I am not there to supervise or evaluate the regular classroom teacher.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 12, 2008

I strongly agree with the above MYOB rule. Even though kids achievements are all of our business, the sub is not there to point out what is wrong in the classroom.

8. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Mar 12, 2008

I wouldn't step into that one- not enough information.

9. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Mar 12, 2008

I agree with everything everyone has said

I totally agree with everything that has been said. I talked to my friend and she did not call the principal. Being a sub we are only in that room or building for the day and we have no idea what is going on with the teacher and other staff members. The staff members who were encouraging my friend may have some kind of grudge against this woman for some unknown reason. I am very much a mind my own business person when I am in there.

Mldouglas

10. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Mar 13, 2008

I also vote for MYOB! I'm glad your friend decided not to call!

11. Tealsmith

Tealsmith Rookie

Mar 14, 2008

Definfitely MYOB.