School lunch?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Koriemo, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Dec 3, 2014

What is school lunch like at your school? Do they have any "healthy" or "fresh" options? In high schools or middle schools, do you have any restaurants or fast food places bring in food? Do you ever eat in the cafeteria?

I've been weary of eating in our cafeteria, but lately with so much going on in my life, I started to go there for break/lunch. It's actually pretty good! They have a nice sandwich/salad bar. But each day of the week, a different restaurant brings in food. Chinese, pizza hut, Jimmy Johns, Chik-fil-a... it seems like many students eat that every day!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2014

Lunch is terrible at my school. I regularly see students eating a pile of nachos (tortillas with a scoop of greasy ground beef smothered in fake cheese goop) with a side of tater tots. That's an actual lunch, not some a la carte option or anything.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 3, 2014

Staff and students get free lunch at my school and some of the meals are quite tasty but not exactly healthy (or as healthy as I like to eat). I try to refrain from eating too many things but will have salad or soup now and then. I don't actually eat lunch on most days anyway so I'm not terribly upset if they don't have anything I like (like on fish day...gag!!!).

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 3, 2014

My old school used to have great food, because there was an actual cook who, ya know, cooked food.

Now, there is a microwaver and unwrapper. Anything that can be served in a pouch, pocket or plastic bag is the norm. They buy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches premade, for cryin' in the night.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 3, 2014

Our lunches aren't half bad, actually. Some days are better than others, of course.

Many of our teachers eat cafeteria-made lunch on a daily basis!

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 3, 2014

Our lunches look roughly like baby food, and I can only assume they taste similar. I'd rather go without than eat it. Teachers have to pay a dollar more than kids do for the same amount of food.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 3, 2014

That's what irritates me, gr3. My daughters are in 3rd and 8th. The older pays more, for the exact same lunch-except that most days, the jr. high goes last so they are lucky to get half the chicken nuggets everyone else does, and a piece of bread. I wish I was joking.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 3, 2014

I'd rather but lunch out of the vending machine than to buy my lunch.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2014

I'm surprised so many places still have unhealthy lunches- I thought new regulations made that impossible. The food my school serves is very healthy, but certainly doesn't look good! They try to make "good" (tasting) things that kids would normally like, but they have to make them healthy, and it just turns out terribly. For example, about once a week they have these "nachos" with some sort of whole grain chip and vegan cheese that has ground up vegetables in it. The kids don't eat 90% of what they serve, and I don't blame them. I would never buy a cafeteria lunch for any reason. If I forget my lunch, I go out and get something. If for some reason that wasn't possible, I'd just wait until I got home to eat before wasting money on inedible cafeteria food.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 3, 2014

Our school has 100 % of the students receive free lunch, and lunch is not available to buy for staff.
    Today's lunch was corndog, salad, juice, milk, chexmix and a banana. Not nutritious or tasty in my opinion, although I'm only judging from looks.
    They can buy a cup of noodles for a dollar (the profit goes for student funds).

Staff have to bring their own food, we don't any snack machines, or anything to buy and we can't leave for lunch. Which is fine with me, I'd bring my own lunch anyways.

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2014

The school lunch is usually pretty bad and not healthy. The kids have no choice - whatever the lunch workers put on their tray that day, they have to eat. Most of our kids get free lunch, so they take the food but few actually eat it unless it is pizza day. Many will drink the free milk since they're thirsty and getting water is hard at my school - we don't have any water fountains.

Most kids bring their own food, usually candy, chips, and snacks which they eat all day long in classes. We having vending machines for student use and sell them snacks during lunch time.

I would never eat the school lunch and I try to never go into the cafeteria because it is a zoo.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 4, 2014

That reminds me of my when I was in HS - if you didn't have the 10:30 lunch, you were pretty much guaranteed to get no food at the last lunch of the day - 12:15. Either that, or you'd be eating a hot pretzel with a fruit juice & crushed ice concoction that they called a slushie.

When I was student teaching, one of the teachers said in the teacher's lounge one day, "You know, my kids come back everyday from lunch complaining about it. I think I will try it today to experience what they are experiencing."

The lunch that day was Grilled Cheese, "Fresh Fruit", "Salad" and Milk or Water.

The Grilled Cheese sandwich was ice cold in the center - as if it hadn't even unfrozen - and the rest of the sandwich was just cold, as if it had never warmed up. The Fresh Fruit was a choice of a cup of five grapes, a bag of sugared-up apples, or a cup of fruit in that sugary juice/sauce stuff. The salad was a few wilted leaves of lettuce (Seriously, maybe 3-4 small pieces of lettuce).

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 4, 2014

Kids don't have options at my school, and they don't bring in food from restaurants. They may do so at the high school, but I don't know.

Our main dish varies. Yesterday was spaghetti, today was cheese pizza, and tomorrow is mini corn dogs. There is always a salad bar, and 2 or 3 fruit options (some fresh, some canned). They usually have a cooked vegetable option, as well.

It fairly good. Most teachers do not eat hot lunch, but I usually do once or twice a week. It's just so much easier than packing a lunch. Plus, the way that our school is vented, you can smell the food in my room in the morning, and it smells so good. ;)

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 4, 2014

I would starve before eating our school lunch! It's barely food. I wouldn't give most of it to my dog, it's that questionable.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2014

We don't have a lunch line. PTO offers school lunch thru several local restaurants o the offerings are quite good. Depending on the day it varies from bagels, wraps, sushi, pizza, yogurt smoothies, burgers, pasta, Chinese food..

17. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 5, 2014

That sounds delicious.

The closest we ever got was in elementary school, they'd order Dominos pizza once a month. They stopped doing that around fourth grade, though.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 5, 2014

LOL yeah my dog might turn his nose up at that food. He enjoys some filet mignon now and then :lol:

19. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2014

When I first came to this school 6 years ago the food was pretty good. The district cooked it's own food. I ate in the cafeteria most days. Then 3 years ago the director who was in charge for over 40 years passed away and we got a director that was used to pre packaged food just heat and serve. It's disgusting! We even started breakfast in the classroom last Spring and most of it is pre packaged garbage that I wouldn't feed my worst enemy. I have only eaten in the cafeteria 4 times since the beginning of the year.

20. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Dec 5, 2014

How many students attend your school?

21. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Dec 5, 2014

IMO, lunch is embarrassing at my school. I feel like a hypocrite if I have to talk to my students about eating well and taking care of yourself through a healthy diet.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2014

We've got a similar situation at my school. I used to eat in the cafeteria when I first started working here, because the food was made from scratch and so, so good. Now, though, it's all processed, microwaved garbage. I haven't eaten school food in years because of this. I would rather go without than eat that stuff. I'm not even a very picky eater, and I don't mind junk food at times, but the stuff here is just nasty and gross. No thanks!

23. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 5, 2014

I'm assuming you don't have very many students who receive free/reduced lunch?

24. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Dec 5, 2014

Interesting to read the other posts. The Title 1, 100% free lunch school I used to work at had awful lunches... the cheapest food you can buy. Lots of bread and beige-colored items, weird looking meat, neon orange cheese. But they *did* have a salad bar (as if kids even touched it). We also had free breakfast/snack provided, which was always sugary junk food, but it at least tasted better than lunch.

My current charter school is the complete opposite. Lunch is catered in by a company that has local and organic produce -- I'm LOL-ing just typing that. The parents are required to send at least 2 snacks, and usually it's something like organic granola bars, fruit/veggies, or other "health food" items.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2014

About 650

26. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Dec 5, 2014

Dang!!! That is awesome, how do they make that happen?

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2014

We have some, not many....we are a high SES district
    great PTO RUNS IT ALL.

28. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2014

It's funny - our school lunch was much better before all of the healthy lunch reforms. We had an amazing salad bar. We had taco bar day. We had the BEST man-n-cheese. We had veggies and fresh fruit every day.

Now everything comes out of a can. Everything is prepackaged for portion control. Our ladies try, but with the budget and the guidelines, it's hard.

(But the baked chicken is still really, really good).

We also found out that we can no longer sell junk food at our carnival at the end of the year. Sheesh. It's one day out of the year! Let the kids have popcorn and hot dogs and slushies!