School lunch

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Learnin, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Learnin

Learnin Guest

Oct 6, 2005

I'm just curious what other teachers in other areas do for lunch and what kind of duty they are required to do. We have a 30 min. lunch, eat with our students, are not allowed to leave campus, and have been told by the principal that the cafeteria is geared for the students. Therefore, we pay a lot for a little and the quality has been hit or miss this year. Some days I start with duty at 7 am, our conference time is filled with meetings, and it is 3:00 before I get a break. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching, but I moved here from another state and we received comp days for duty, and a 45 min. lunch to ourselves. I just want to see how it is out there for everybody else.

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 6, 2005

At my school we get 45 minutes duty free lunch.
    Now if we want we can volunteer to help with lunch duty but you don't get paid. Instead you can leave at 3:00 when the kids do. The rest of the teachers have to stay another 30 minutes till we can leave.

In my old school the teachers are doing lunch duty but are getting paid for it.

4. Learnin

Learnin Guest

Oct 6, 2005

Thanks for responding. These are the kinds of questions I get crazy looks for asking at my school. But our contract says "duty as assigned." It seems odd to me. I hope I get more responses.

5. MR ARMS PKTEACH

MR ARMS PKTEACH Rookie

Oct 6, 2005

I eat lunch with the kids and get a half hour break after lunch every OTHER day. I have no planning time during the day except for the "break" EVERY OTHER day.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2005

We don't get any comp time. we rotate duties every week.....am recess, lunchroom, lunch recess, oh, and we sometimes have two duties because we have am bus or pm bus duty.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2005

I should add that lunchroom duty is 25 minutes, and lunch recess is 25 minutes, am recess is 20 minutes and the bus duty is 15 minutes each

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 6, 2005

I'm moving this to another forum...should get lots of responses...school food is big on our minds at the moment! :D

9. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Oct 6, 2005

at our school we have a duty free lunch (30 mins) and two 15 minute before or after school duties during the week. We also have a minimum of a 40 minute block of prep. (the duty free lunch and prep is state mandated)

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2005

Our contract guarantees us a 40-minute uninterrupted lunch, some teachers supervise the students for the first 20 minutes while the kids eat, or 15 minutes at the ned. The kids have 1 hour for lunch, and if you don't have duty you have 1 hour as well (paid lay assistants cover the rest of the supervision). 60 minutes /week of supervision is part of our job, so there is no extra compensation. We can do whatever we want with our time at lunch--many go out for at least part of the time.

11. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Oct 7, 2005

We get 25 minutes of lunch time. We can leave the building, but when your 25 minutes are over the kids will be waiting for you in the hallway! Sometimes it is barely enough time to go to the bathroom (first chance of the day!) and to warm up your lunch and eat it! I am jealous of those of you who get more than 30 minutes for lunch! :)

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 7, 2005

Where I student taught the teachers get a 30min. duty-free lunch. The kids also have 30 mins, but eat for about 15 and have recess for about 15. The paraprofessionals cover the cafeteria and playground duties. A.M. recess is 15 minutes and some paras cover that as well which gives the teachers a 15 min break, but the teachers also rotate and have playground duty during that time once a week.

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 7, 2005

In my old building, the middle school (6-8) was on the top floor and the elementary was on the bottom floor. Middle school teachers got 23 minutes for lunch. Two teachers who supervised it got an additional full period for their lunch, plus their prep. (!!!)

Downstairs, the elementary teachers took turns supervising their halls, stairwells, bus, recess, lunch, etc, but got to leave forty-five minutes earlier than we did.

Go figure.

23 minutes for lunch meant that we had to choose whether to go to the bathroom (a million miles away) or hold it a few hours more so we could see and talk to ADULTS for a few minutes.

The high school in this same consolidation? They get a full hour, duty free, every day.

Our union? A joke.

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2005

I have no union..........I'm a slave! :p I never have time to use the bathroom. And even though we do those duties, we never get to leave early, ever!

15. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Oct 7, 2005

The teachers at our school have a half hour to eat our lunch, but we have to eat it with the kids. We are also responsible for our morning and afternoon recesses. Every other day we have supervision for lunch recess as well. My break/prep time is during the kids' specials. The specials schedules aren't very equally divided at our school though, so some teachers have lots of breaks during the day, and some only have 1.

16. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Oct 7, 2005

We take turns every three weeks with lunch and recess duty. When you're on duty, you have to sit with the children (at their table) and eat! If you're not on duty, you still sit in the cafeteria, just at a separate teacher table. I love my kids, but I would also love a chance to have a "kid-free" lunch to just relax.

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 7, 2005

We have a 30 min. duty free lunch, and do 1 25min. recess duty each week. We also have afternoon bus duty at the end of every day. We may leave the campus for lunch, but have to sign out so our secretary knows where we are (in case of emergency). In the state of Arkansas, teachers must have a certain number of minutes for planning periods each day. We also have a limit on how much duty we can do each week.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 7, 2005

We get 40 minutes of duty-free lunch, and one morning recess duty per week. My principal is great and once a quarter every teacher gets to go out to lunch with another teacher for an hour and he covers the classes for the extra 20 minutes. This is my week to go out!

19. jcg

jcg Cohort

Oct 7, 2005

We have duty free lunch for 45 minutes, but by the time you get them through the line, it ends up at about 40. We only have bus duty 3 times a year. Compared to you guys I have it easy! I just brought this up to a colleague. At a previoous school we had a duty 3 weeks in a row and then one off-- am recess, lunchroom duty, lunch recess.

20. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Oct 7, 2005

We get 30 minutes of duty-free lunch a day, 75 min of plan time a day, and do 3 days of bus duty(morn. and afternoon) every 6 weeks.

21. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 8, 2005

At the school I am student teaching at the teachers have 15-20 minutes where they eat lunch and supervise their students. Then the students have a half hour recess. (they have the 15 minute am recess, but get thirty minutes at lunch and no more breaks until they go home--5th grade at SOME APS schools. As far as I know student "recess" is duty free unless the teacher is assigned to supervise. I haven't talked to my CT yet, but thank-you Learnin for reminding me I need to.

Last semester at another school, during recesses and lunch the teachers ate in the lounge, unless they had duty or detention.