School is thinking about having transitional k and k class.

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by minnie, Sep 3, 2012.

1. minnie

minnie Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

I am the only kindergarten teacher at my school (its a small school). They are thinking about doing a transitional K (tk) and K combo class with me as the teacher.

Obviously, I'm a little nervous. I'm not sure how to teach kids that young together. The tk would leave after lunch and then I would have the k's all day. How do you have an organized routine with brand new four year olds at the beginning of the year. I know that the k's would be ok because it would be their second year with me, but I don't know what the tk's would be like. I'll have the k's who will be able to color, cut and paste, hold a pencil, sit still for a certain amount of time. Then, at the same time (for half of the day), I'll have the tk's who won't be able to do any of those things.

How do you have two totally different levels in the same class? I won't be able to teach the k's and expect the tk's to be on task, they're too young.

I also posted this in the kindergarten forum:

I am the only kindergarten teacher at my school (its a small school). They are thinking about doing a transitional K (tk) and K combo class with me as the teacher.

Obviously, I'm a little nervous. I'm not sure how to teach kids that young together. The tk would leave after lunch and then I would have the k's all day. How do you have an organized routine with brand new four year olds at the beginning of the year. I know that the k's would be ok because it would be their second year with me, but I don't know what the tk's would be like. I'll have the k's who will be able to color, cut and paste, hold a pencil, sit still for a certain amount of time. Then, at the same time (for half of the day), I'll have the tk's who won't be able to do any of those things, not yet anyway.

How do you have two totally different levels in the same class? I won't be able to teach the k's and expect the tk's to be on task, they're too young to be that independent while I'm with the k's.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  3. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2012

I have been teaching a combo TK/K class for 3 weeks now. It's not as difficult as you would think. I solved the problem by exposing all the students to the K curriculum, but only having the K kids responsible for the K work to show they understand. So, we start off with morning work, K kids get 5 pages, TK kids 3. Then songs and stories I pick and choose from both curriculum. Then when I model the language arts work, both students listen, but only the K students have to do the work. The same with math. Science, social studies and art I do with all the students together, the same lesson. I have 5 language arts centers and 5 math centers. After they are done with their L.A. work, they go to their language center, and the same with math. The TK students have more center time, because they have less work, but that's how it should be because they are learning more socialization skills. Hope that helps a little. The funny thing is they are now saying they want one full TK class, at another site, so I may loose my TK kids after all. Good luck to you !

4. christine89

christine89 Companion

Sep 4, 2012

The centers and exposing them to K curriculum is interesting. Do you monitor the centers while they are in them or do you have an aide?

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2012

Yes I am very close by helping them solve problems as they do their center work. No, I do not have any assistants.

6. minnie

minnie Habitué

Sep 6, 2012

That helps a lot! Thank you!

How were the tk's? Did you have a hard time getting them to sit for a lesson? Sitting at a table? Did you mix them up with the k's?

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2012

No because they are all only 1 month shy of being eligible for Kindergarten. It's not like they are traditional preschoolers. Last year I had these aged students in my K class, so to me it is the same. I just don't require the work of the TK's since they will be in a 2 year program and will have to do the K work next year. :)
    No hard time getting them to sit for lessons or do their work. Like I said they are only 30 days younger :)