School Installation Art

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Samothrace, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Apr 15, 2009

So I have my end of year eval today and my principal asked if I could start thinking of a large group project to do next year, or display project that can become part of the building for years to come

i'm on a cart..so that will definately influence things. It doesn't even have to be one large project, but a group of smaller ones framed together. I think she is trying to build up a more positive school atmosphere as it is one of the rougher buildings in our district ( a 6th grader was removed in handcuffs for attacking her mom at school)....

I'd love to be able to do tiles, but my kiln was unhooked..womp womp.

Any thoughts?

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 15, 2009

I had this in mind for a few months. It requires some casting in relief. So, I was thinking of making molds of hand prints with plaster and casting stepping stones. I don't think I'd want the hands inset but rather reversed so that it is the actual hands showing and not the imprint.

Then set them into a small courtyard with a sculpture garden and benches. Something that can build over time and become a tradition.

Wow, the symbolism just hit me. Walking on the hands of past students.

Never mind, you can't have this idea. ;)

I also see these as a bit larger and set as wall panels. All it'd take is three or four molds per year to provide variety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a separate note, I like doing murals with students. Let them plan it, get it approved, let them paint it, you act as art director and add in some painting to unify the artwork if it needs it.

4. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 15, 2009

We have two beautiful pieces of art that are permanent in my school. We have a fantastic mural done by a previous art teacher, as well as a tile piece done with an artist in resident. Each kid did a tile that completed an entire image.

I don't know how they did the tile project seen as we have NO KILN or Clay the artist must have done all the work on their own. If it were me, I would probably do a mural of sorts relating to the IMPORTANCE of art. You got to sell yourself somewhere (especially with your unsupportive school community at times).