school info

Discussion in 'General Education' started by smithmt, Nov 12, 2008.

1. smithmt

smithmt New Member

Nov 12, 2008

Hey everyone,
    I post to THe Teachers Corner, and I have been active there for a long while, but I have an issue that I need more information and am looking everywhere for more help.
    So my issue; my wife and I are possibly going to be moving to Jacksonville FL. There is a position in Drama open at Forrest HS. Yes THE Nathan B Forrest HS of recent news coverage of a HS that is named after a Klansman in fact the Klan's first grand wizard. They replaced 90 some-odd staff members last year, and 80 some-odd teachers in the school. All of this is like waving red flags, but I've worked in hard places since I got my certification. I had questions (which are below) what do you all think?

* Is this a new position, or to replace a void left by a previous teacher?
    * Are you, by chance, a theatre teacher? or would you be my supervisor/colleague?
    * If you are leaving, why are you leaving, or why did the previous teacher leave?
    * If you are also a theatre teacher, would this position be an acting-focused teacher (director) or a technical-focused (design) position
    * How is the principal on disciplinary measures?
    * Does she consistently support the teacher?
    * How supportive is the district in the performing arts?
    * What kind of annual budget does the school give to the performing arts?
    * It there a performing arts center, or auditorium attached to the school?
    * How are the students?
    * Are they just apathetic, or they dangerous?
    * Is there a Drama Club?

Is anybody from FL (or even Duval County) and know about Forrest that can help me?

3. Prof. Mat

Prof. Mat Rookie

Nov 17, 2008

what does smith have to do with you?

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2008

While I can imagine that if I were going to move to a school that has been in the news, I'd want to ask current faculty members about what is going on, the problem here is that how do we know that you're not a reporter?

5. smithmt

smithmt New Member

Nov 18, 2008

That's Fair

That's fair, Should be Sleeping, (I know that feeling) Like I said, I post regularly on The Teacher's Corner and posted this exact message there (search for all posts by smithmt) but I don't know... I think I might avoid the whole situation and see if I can teach something else that needs to be filled until next fall. As far as my handle, it's my last name and two initials. Matthew T. Smith (feel free to Google my name there are of hundreds of us.) Anyway, I've tried to contact the person listed as the teacher in "Fine arts" as well as Band, but have not received anything in reply... which they may have a policy against talking to outsiders because of the media attention, but oh well. If I get an interview, I will ask the principal these questions. It doesn't mean that I have to accept the job, so...

thanks everyone