School Garden, Green School

Discussion in 'General Education' started by shoreline02, Dec 17, 2016.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Dec 17, 2016

Hello! I am completing a grant to start our first school garden and outdoor learning area.
    I am struggling as to what type of picnic tables to get for our outdoor learning area.
    I worry that the traditional wood tables will rot and fall apart to easily. I need to create a supply list with links from Homedepot or Lowes but I'm not sure what type of table to look for.

What material do you think would work best for an outdoor learning area? Other ideas are welcome too!

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Dec 18, 2016

Perhaps recycled plastic tables are available. Wood needs a lot of upkeep and can develop rough spots making writing on paper difficult. However, my school kept wood tables under a pavilion which helped protect them somewhat.

shoreline02 likes this.
  4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 19, 2016

If thinking about starting a school garden, a big factor should be aesthetic. I've read a lot about how school gardens are started with enthusiasm, but often died down after a few years. So you want it to be a place of aesthetics. In that regard, (wood) tables probably would be more appealing than those iron-looking ones. I think you just need to realize that the wood will eventually degrade, and account for that. If you're really concerned about that, then I guess getting some storable/portable lawn chairs or beach chairs? But then, it isn't going to look too appealing.