school fundraisers

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ashley57, May 28, 2007.

1. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

May 28, 2007

We have an auction, carnival, popcorn, sno cones, and all that, but the big one at my school is our annual Jog-a-thon.

I'm sure you know how it works...the kids collect pledges (either by mile or as a lump sum), then they run (before school from 7:00-7:30 and during their PE time). All that to say that our kids set a new record this year...

$42,000! Forty-two thousand! My class (18 kiddos) raised $1,700.

so, does your school have any big fundraisers?

if so, what do they do with the funds?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 28, 2007

Wow! What a success! What is the school going to do with all that money?

We do several small fundraisers throughout the year--magazines, plants, on-going pizza lunches, etc. I like the idea of the jog-a-thon; I'll be raising that as a suggestion next year.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 28, 2007

The ONLY fundraiser we do is the annual yearbook ad drive. Aside from some charitable ones everything else comes from tuition.

This year we had a one day fundraiser for the school we've "adopted" after hurricane Katrina. The cafeteria sold no sweets; the kids were asked to donate their desert money instead. (Although they could bring in whatever they wanted to eat. It wasn't the sweets as much as the money that was targeted.) 2 teachers walked around each lunch period with those water-cooler water bottles- we raised a lot of money.

At Christmas time we took on a local shelter for teen unwed mothers. The kids chose an "ornament" on which was written a specific item. The ornaments were labeled so the kids knew the price range they needed. The younger kids were steered towards things like baby wipes and ointment; (Mine was a winter coat for one of the moms.) We got such a response that we invited several other shelters to come and pick stuff up when first one was done.

5. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

May 28, 2007

we did gifts for a few foster homes too. every grade adopted a child. it's always so encouraging right before christmas :)

our jog-a-thon has been going on for close to 20 years, so every year it gets bigger and bigger. Last year, they bought plants/mulch, reading counts quizzes, ink cartridges (for our laser printers), poster paper for the poster maker, etc...and every teacher received $500 to spend on their rooms. They're previously purchsed picnic tables for every room, a new LCD school sign, covered court for PE. The year before we got half of that. It's a great thing- the kids LOVE it and it does big things for our school :)

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 28, 2007

In elementary school we had a read-a-thon similar to the jog-a-thon. People signed up to sponsor a certain number of books read or a lum sum. We read the books and kept a log for a month and then collected the money. Now yearbooks are a big fundraiser and at different times the PTA sells candy that is delivered to the kids in the classroom.

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 29, 2007

If a school is with a PTA organization,in Florida, with membership dues etc... There are strict guidelines to the number of fundraisers such as 2 allowed targeted and 2 general fund raisers. any fundraiser is when you raise over a thous. dollars...

8. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

May 29, 2007

hmm...does that include PTA sponsored fundraisers?

it seems like my school (in florida) is constantly fundraising...though PTA runs almost all of it.

9. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

May 30, 2007

Our PTO uses fundraisers to provide transportation for field trips. We are in a rural area so not all kids are exposed to many cultural events. Each class can spend up to $300 for bus fare each year. The PTO usually sponsors a whole school cultural arts program, sometimes performers or author visits. We had a huge fundraiser for new playground equipment. The PTO has purchased band instruments, the Ellison die cut equipment. a poster maker machine and individual learning grants by teachers.

10. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

May 30, 2007

We had a spaghetti dinner, quilt raffle, and dessert auction to raise money to send our math team to Alabama for the national competition. We raised about $8000 in 3 hours. For those of you that have never heard of a dessert auction (I hadn't till we moved here), people donated baked goods and an auctioneer auctions them off. WE had cakes going for $200+!

11. KDS

KDS Companion

May 30, 2007

When i was teaching HS Theatre...we did a show at Christmas time...i dont think i ever did a Christmas PLAY...and the admission was a new, unwrapped children's toy...the school was on assembly schedule and the kids who had brought toys got a ticket and got out of class...i think i topped out at almost 900 toys one year...

my goal was always 1000...but it still was cool...i never wanted to charge $...i just wanted to do the Toys for Tots thing...

12. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

May 30, 2007

We do a black tie auction, which is actually pretty ritzy. We charge for the tickets, and then all proceeds benefit the school. Items range from hand-knitted baby hats to season passes to pro. sports teams or round-trip-airline tickets anywhere in the world.

It's usually the families who walk away with the big items. I bought a potted plant. ;)

13. Tricia1

Tricia1 New Member

Jun 19, 2007

duct tape fundraiser

I am an 8th grade math teacher. Last year my school had a
    fundraiser for the American Red Cross. Students were
    allowed to duct tape some of their teachers to the gym
    wall. Each student bought a piece of tape for $1.00 and
    stuck it across me until I was stuck to the wall. The
    principal then thought it would be funny to put a piece of
    tape across my mouth, bringing in cheers from all the
    students. He then asked me how I felt. I said "MMMMMMMMM!"
    Everyone laughed. It was fun, but a little nerve-racking until they
    finally untaped me.

14. MissyLibby1

MissyLibby1 New Member

Aug 9, 2007

Internet mall fundraising

This worked the best and it did not cost anything to get started. We got free ads from the paper and a story on our fund raising during the News. The only thing that cost was the flyer's and business cards that we handed out. This is the site that we used Free Fast and Easy Com. There must be more like it. They set a site up like a mall and you send people there to buy things and split the profit. We print handouts and business cards as well a newsletters to get the word about the fundraising out. The things for sale were normal items that are used around the house that everyone buys anyway. The thing we learned was how to let everyone know we were not selling candy or magazines but useful items.