School E-Mail

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tasha, Jul 2, 2008.

?

Can you check your school e-mail from home?

1. No

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. Yes, and I check it often

77 vote(s)
    82.8%
  3. Yes, and I check it occasionally

13 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. Yes, but I never check it from home

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

As a former computer programmer, that story is absolutely horrifying, Sarge. In fact, it's so bad that if I were a parent with a child at the school I would probably demand the policy be changed. You definitely made the right decision to get the tech guy to remove your account:up:

And, incidentally INTeacher, you're right that it could have been a spam filter (I didn't send from a yahoo addy, but spam filters can be notoriously capricious). Just given the general difficulty of actually finding out a teacher's email address, though, I suspect not many parents ever email them -- so as I mention, I'd hardly be surprised if a lot of teachers didn't check their email very frequently.

2. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2008

I used get Email right after a due date when I put in a "0" for the child (I always allowed students make up missing work) asking if the child could make up the work :confused: the kids never tell the parents anything :mad:

3. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

Up until this year the district I worked for would allow you to keep your email open all day. In my new district it shuts you out after 20 minutes so I would also miss emails like this. I had to put in all of my parent correspondence at the beginning of the year that I would only be checking my email at ___________ times, so things like this needed to called into the office or sent in a note with the child. Luckily most parents followed the request and I didn't have any issues with this.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2008

I check mine all the time, both at school and at home. My AtoZ notices go to my school email, so I check it frequently at home. I am an admitted email junkie:D

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 3, 2008

During the summer I check it a couple times a week (from home). right now it is my only e-mail address so I use it all the time. During the school year I don't check it from home quite so often but at least once on the weekends and over long breaks as well.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 3, 2008

I check mine everyday. It's linked to my cell phone so I know when I get email.

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 3, 2008

Just checked it a few minutes ago.:D

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 3, 2008

Smart idea, I answered some email last fall from home and it was a mistake. I sure won't do it this year.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 3, 2008

All our personal email accounts are blocked, in fact, there's a lot of stuff blocked. It's really fine w/me, they say they can read all your personal email if you use the district's server.