School dress code.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by emmalyne, Jun 1, 2013.

1. emmalyne

emmalyne Rookie

Jun 1, 2013

I am so annoyed so forgive me if I rant.

Today, I had a female student of mine come to class in short shorts and a tank top. Considering that its 90 degrees outside and we have no AC, I didnt mind because I dont blame her. I would wear the exact same thing if I had to sit in a room for 2 hours at a time. Anyway, I had the teacher next door come over to borrow something and she noticed what my student was wearing. She even took it upon herself to write a referral and told me to "hand it in to the AP and just avoid the drama". After she left, I ripped up the refferal.
    Why is the female body SUCH a taboo subject? Girls shouldnt wear this because then others will be distracted. WTF. I am so sorry men and boys cannot keep it in their pants long enough to get through a lesson. I hate that its such a double standard for guys. They can wear a tank top that shows their shoulder, and its acceptable. But when a girl does it, oh heaven forbid shes classified as dressing innapropriately.

Ugh.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2013

I don't agree that dress codes are established because the female body is taboo or because males 'can't keep it in their pants':eek:. But rather because some clothing is distracting, unsafe, or inappropriate for school.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 1, 2013

If you have issues with the dress code you can always bring it to the principal's attention. I understand your frustration with the other teacher coming into your room, however, tearing up her referral slip probably wasn't the best way to deal with it. Maybe next time (if there is a next time) tell her you appreciate her bringing it to your attention, but you will handle it.

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 1, 2013

If it was a clear dress code violation, why didn't you deal with it yourself? Our rooms are incredibly hot right now, and we do overlook some of the minor issues - but not the flagrant ones. It isn't about not being comfortable with the clothing. It is about providing an environment that allows all to concentrate.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

No offense, but I HATE teachers that don't enforce dress code. It makes me come off as a giant B when I do enforce it.
    Rules are there for a reason. It doesn't matter if you agree with them or not. You have to follow/enforce them.
    As for ripping up the referral, you'd be facing some consequences at my school. Definitely a write up.

7. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jun 1, 2013

In my district, tank tops are not allowed for either gender and a boy would have been written up as well. There are also restrictions that apply to boys moreso than girls, such as no sagging pants. It's not making any bodies taboo.

I also dislike when I enforce a rule that somebody else lets slide. I look like the big B when that happens.

I am not there to be a student's friend. I'm not saying that is your intent, but rules are there for a reason. Enforce them.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

I absolutely think part of a dress code's purpose is to prevent girls from showing too much of their body. No doubt. Only difference is, I actually agree with most rules and like very modest clothing. For example, I've never worn a top revealing any cleavage whatsoever...and I mean outside of work. I think some things are to be personal and in my specific case just for me and my husband. At the same time, I do realize it's just skin and a body and I wonder how as a society got to this point. Yet I still can't shake it. Maybe that makes sense to someone else. Kind of like not cussing, but asking why crap is okay and sh-t isn't. You know?

Anyway, I don't like at all that males can wear tanks and girls can't. But I do suggest following school rules. I was pretty darn strict with our policy which sometimes made even teachers roll their eyes, but it's the rulebook and it's just easier if I always enforce it. I never have to make a decision.

I would, though, speak to someone on SBDM about your concerns. That's how change hapens.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2013

It's a simple explanation!
    The males don't have anything that females would lose their senses over in public, and the females have the 2 girlfriends; need to be kept in their places, not exposed; or the males would lose all kinds of senses; like staring and who knows what goes on in their minds and pants?!?:eek:
    It's nature. Women either have common sense to dress modestly, OR dress to get attention in a pervert kind of way.
    Rebel1

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2013

I'm a fan of modesty in certain locations. I've given up with my kids because we don't have a dress code therefore I'm not really allowed to make one myself. I do make all kids take of hats (even those fashiony hats) in my classroom. If someone's pants are sagging, I tell them to pull them up. If someone is showing midriff (and it's NOT just the girls that do this! The boys are always holding their shirts up) I tell them to cover up. Spaghetti straps and tank tops I don't care about, but sometimes the girls wear those shirts that are completely open in the back (like this) I suggest they layer another shirt underneath for the next time.

I don't care what they wear on the street, to the club or on the beach. But this is a professional environment and I think a little modesty is good to learn. For both sexes.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 1, 2013

:agreed:

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2013

Your info shows that you are a "teacher in training". Does that mean that you are a student teacher? Are you the only adult in a classroom? Do you have a cooperating teacher or school supervisor?

I advise you to be careful about skirting the rules (or, in this case, blatantly refusing to enforce them), especially as a "teacher in training".

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 1, 2013

Honestly, I don't always notice dress code violations. Often, when I seed a child down, they send them back to class, anyway. I don't usually notice unless it is blatant. Things that are iffy or borderline, I err on the side of keeping g the kid I class and creative g the least disruption, if I notice at all. When it's obvious, down they go!

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

I think rules are there for a reason. By being too lenient you might be sending the message that you are lenient with other rules as well, or that you are a push-over, afraid to enforce the rules and the kids will give you more problems. It's one thing to not notice, but another to actually rip up a referral another teacher wrote.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2013

On days my 5th graders rarely got out of their seats, it was not uncommon for short-shorts to go unnoticed until lunch. However, spaghetti straps are pretty darn obvious!

Honestly, dress code and the lack of consistency is why I am a 200% in favor of uniforms.

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

We don't have much of an issue with dress code because they are very strict:
    - only black, gray or white clothing may be worn.
    - no colors what so ever, if anyone has red or any color on their shoes for example, they use black duct tape to tape over it, same thing for T shirts. Often they make the kids wear their T shirts inside out, because the is something printed on it.
    - the usual rules about length of shorts, spaghetti straps, no hats , etc. Even boys can't wear tank tops, or basically anything that would leave their tattoes visible.

So the kids usually wear sweat pants, sweatshirts, T shirts, very few would wear shorts ( i guess it's not cool ). The biggest issue we have is with sagging.
    Fridays we have "free dress day" which means they can wear jeans, but everything else is still in place. We nominate the kids on Thursdays to be able to wear jeans. We do this to not have low attendance on Fridays and it works.

17. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 1, 2013

Giraffe, I spent more time policing uniforms when I worked at schools that wore them then I do policing dress code at my current school. 5th grade at all schools. Students will always try to find ways to stand out in their dress.

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 1, 2013

If there is a dress code, you must enforce it. As a student teacher, you must follow the rules of your school and it is NOT your place to decide which ones are followed and which ones are not. You could be headed for serious trouble...

19. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2013

I am one who try to enforce rules or standards that have been put in place. Our students wear uniforms; however,we have dress down days and when students are not in compliance, I send them to the office.

20. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

Yep, yep, yep.

21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

I'll add that if you are a student teacher and you ripped up an actual teacher's referral, you should not count on getting a position at that school the next year.

22. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 1, 2013

If I can see anyone's undergarments (spaghetti straps, sagging pants, these new see through shirts girls are wearing), there is a problem.

If there are inappropriate messages on T-Shirts, there is a problem.

Gang colors, problem.

Aside from all that, I don't pay much attention to the minute details of dress code. In fact, I just found out that sandals are not allowed at school, even though teachers and admin regularly wear them. Perhaps I just work in a less strict environment?

23. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jun 1, 2013

I'm genuinely curious about what might be considered gang colors where you work. Our district dress code does not address that, but bans handkerchiefs hanging out of pockets and combs in the hair. They don't ban specific colors. There is gang activity in our district.

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

I've seen in some schools they ban overly or completely dressed in blue or red, etc. they also often ban certain athletic wear, unless it's only the logo and nothing else, or college logos.

25. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 1, 2013

Dress code is one of the things I hate enforcing. I have no issue telling the guys to take off their hats, ect. The girls on the other hand would sometimes come in looking pretty inappropriate.(to put it mildly) I would just send them to the AP who usually deals with dress code violations, it wasn't something I felt comfortable addressing.

If you are indeed a student teacher emmalyne your lucky you weren't removed from your placement for ripping up a referral from a teacher in front of the students. I have no doubt that is what would have happened if I had done that.

26. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2013

Where I taught it meant no red or blue. Headgear, all of it no matter what color, was not allowed. "White tees" were also not permitted.

27. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jun 1, 2013

Thank you for the clarification! Edited to include everyone who did so.

28. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 1, 2013

Primarily those fabric belts (red or blue) worn way to big so it hangs down (if that makes sense. hard to describe). Shoe laces. Crucifix necklaces in certain colors. Solid color red or blue (or green or purple) shirts.

Mostly, if a kid is on gang watch, and they get caught wearing stuff like the above mentioned, it gets worse for them. I think they have to have five or seven "signs" of gang activity before they can be prosecuted. Gang dress-code violations count toward that.

29. emmalyne

emmalyne Rookie

Jun 1, 2013

I didn't rip it in front of the students. The teacher secretly handed me the paper & left. I took it upon myself to discard of it, because I didn't think the student was doing anything wrong. Neither students nor did the teacher that wrote the referral saw.

30. microbe

microbe Comrade

Jun 1, 2013

Some of the dress code rules I've seen seem a little odd, but most of the odd ones are related to gang activity. For example:
    • red or blue shoelaces
    • bandanas
    • hoop earrings

Then there are the common sense things like no chains or spiked collars/bracelets (to avoid these articles being used as weapons). Finally you come down to what is appropriate for school, such as no sagging and showing off your underwear, no bearing your midriff or chest, only wearing bottoms that reach to at least your fingertips, etc. The dress code involving modesty is pretty standard between all the schools I've subbed at (which have different dress codes regardless of belonging in the same district?!?).

Luckily I mostly subbed at schools that have uniforms, so I never saw a dress code infraction (heard of one, however - a girl wore a see-through mini-skirt to class). When I subbed at non-uniform schools, I mostly just had to remind boys to pull their pants up. I don't recall having any girls inappropriately dressed in my classes, though I do recall a female student in the hall wearing only stockings and a top (kind of like how women are wearing leggings with nothing over them, just instead of leggings she was wearing sheer stockings). I probably should have dragged her to the office but I wasn't certain if it was my place.

Anywhoo, I think it's important for all teachers to enforce all rules! It's bad if one teacher enforces no gum chewing but three others don't. It sends a bad message to the students. "Oh, it's okay to break this school rule because Mr. A, Mrs. C and Mrs. D are cool with it. Ms. B is just a huge B for making me spit my gum out and is petty."

31. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2013

I do not agree with it being OK just because it's HOT and no AC. Yes, that can be miserable. But strappy and short shorts isn't going to be much different than sleeveless, modest shorts, and sandals with a bottle of water!

I personally do not want to see any of the 3 B's...boobs, butt, belly!
    Male or female.
    Why would anyone who was concentrating on learning want to see any of it?

32. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 1, 2013

lol, Rabbit, I tell my students on the first day that I have a no B's rule. None of the 4 Bs are allowed: butt, boobs, belly or boxers!

I never heard anyone else say it :)

33. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 1, 2013

I agree with the majority of the posters. My school also does not have AC, but that doesn't make students exempt from following a dress code. Almost all workplaces have dress codes, so students need to learn how to dress appropriately according to their environment. A teacher would not show up to school in a tank top and short shorts, so students should not either.

Ripping up the referral only shows your coworkers that you aren't interested in promoting a positive school community. And, as a student teacher, I would say that's a seriously bad move.

34. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

AAAAGGGHHHH!!!! My current school has uniforms. I HATE uniforms. Half the time I miss infractions because I honestly don't notice!!! I feel like uniforms don't help students learn how to dress themselves. I feel VERY comfortable sharing with teenage girls how and why to dress modestly in overly warm weather. and I feel comfortable telling teenage boys that I am too old to know the pattern on their boxers. And at my current school I do report infractions when I notice them. Which is probably about half the time, which I'm sure confuses the heck out of the students. Somebody recommended I start the year by not dismissing class until every student has checked their table partner. If I was going to be here next year I would so steal that idea. I love it.

The issue of no a.c. seems far more important to me than the young lady's inability to dress herself appropriately. Yes, I think it is important to report dress code violations. ...And I would attach a write up about the broken a.c.

35. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

And I agree - with op about the politics of clothes. ...sigh. unfortunately, beyond helping them to love themselves (I hope) a lot of the societal stuff is just too much for me. I pick my battles. I also think how they dress outside of the school setting is a completely different matter. As for the gang related stuff. I teach in an area where that MATTERS and still, I miss a lot of it. But so far that has never been an issue in my class, or school. I make firm rules that you don't have to like the people you work with, but if you are assigned a partner, you work with them. period.

36. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 2, 2013

Ripping it up whether anyone saw or not, is not your place as a student teacher.

37. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 2, 2013

As a teacher with you own classroom you can pick your own battles. But as a student teacher, as the OP is, every single rule must be followed, 100%. A student teacher cannot choose what they follow and cannot come up with new rules.

38. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

Just to clarify - I didn't mean dress code as a battle of choice - I meant politic of wardrobe as battle to choose or not choose. I agree that ALL teachers should follow school policy. whether fully credentialed or not. I just happen to agree that society has a double standard. Now go get your proper attire so we can continue this conversation.:)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  39. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 2, 2013

I agree that, as a student teacher, it is your job to enforce the rules, whether you agree with them or not. As a teacher, it is my job to enforce the rules, whether I agree with them or not. If I have a problem with a rule, I can certainly work to change that rule from within, but until that time, it's my job to enforce.

However, I find this statement:

rather sexist. Firstly, do you really think that women don't find the male body distracting? I guess all those firemen calendar fund-raisers and such are done for...no reason?

Secondly, how does common sense tie in with the way someone chooses to dress? Because common sense tells me that when it's hot outside, you wear less clothing.

And thirdly, how do you know that women who dress to show more skin are looking for the attention of a pervert? That's a bold statement that sounds very much like slut-shaming to me.

40. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2013

Slut-shaming? That's a new one. :huh:

41. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2013