School District Student Dress Code

Discussion in 'High School' started by EDUK8_ME, Mar 8, 2008.

1. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Mar 8, 2008

Hi Everyone,

I am taking a graduate course for my Masters. For my term paper I am writing about student dress code policies. I am looking to get your opinion. No names needed just grade level and state. Please do not respond if your students wear uniforms. Thank you.

Question #1- Do you agree with you district's student dress code policy? Why or why not?

Question #2- Does the policy have an effect on student behavior? How?

Question #3- Does the policy have any effect on your teaching such as taking time out to enforce the policy?

Thank you for your participation.

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 8, 2008

Hope it helps.

4. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

Mar 8, 2008

There are enough teachers at our school that don't bother to enforce the dress code, so the kids pretty much wear what they want.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

Our district does not have a policy. Each school sets its own policy. Overall, I agree with ours. Each year it's revised a bit to clear up any ambiguous wording. I find it very reasonable.

I've never taught in a place without a dress code, so I'm not sure how they'd act otherwise. The only issue we really ever see is when one student wears something and was not turned in and another student wears the same thing and is turned in.

Not really. First period teachers are supposed to scan for dress code violations while they're taking attendance and lunch count. They sent violations to the office. There are scrubs available to students who don't comply with the dress code.

I'm at a Kentucky middle school.

6. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Mar 9, 2008

Hope that helps!

7. traeh

traeh Companion

Mar 9, 2008

Question #1- Do you agree with you district's student dress code policy? Why or why not?

Unfortunately there is no clothing policy enforced at the school where I am employed. This is pretty foolish in my opinion and I feel that it detracts from the learning environment. Who wouldn't be distracted by underpants/boxers hanging out, cleavage on display, and barely-there shorts.

The lack of a specific dress code policy does have a negative impact on student behavior because they wear what they want, and in turn, feel that they have the power to get away with more. There is less of being punished for behaving poorly/inappropriately when the students see what they can get away with in terms of dress code.

Question #3- Does the policy have any effect on your teaching such as taking time out to enforce the policy?

I never reprimand the students for their clothing choices, because I figure, 'you pick your battles.' (Okay, there was one time that I told a student to take off her hat, and she refused, and then I saw her the following day walking past the asst. principal -- she was wearing this hat -- and he said nothing. This is when I realized that any attempts I made at enforcing an acceptable dress code were futile, as there is no consistency at this school.) Since there is no policy in place, whatever I say will go in one ear and out the other anyway, so I figure, why bother?

There are a wide-range of behavioral issues at my school, and I'm not sure if it is caused by the dress code primarily or what.. but I'm sure that it does have a deleterious effect

8. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Rookie

Mar 11, 2008

No, I do not agree with my district's student dress code policy. I do not think it's strict enough.

Not really, though the dress code reflects the overly-permissive culture. The kids wear shirts with half-naked women, Tony Montana from 'Scarface', or script like "Three Things I'm Not Going to Do Today: Listen. Pay attention. Care." on them, baggy pants, and clothes covered with symbols that are not directly gang related but can be interpreted that way. Their behavior fits their wardrobes. They (boys and girls alike) proudly call themselves thugs and burnouts. We have a pervasive gang culture, and I know for fact that at least two of my freshman students are drug dealers. Mind you, I don't live in the city. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere!

Yes. Worse, it takes the kids out of class for anywhere from a few minutes to the rest of the day. In the meantime, I have to message someone to write a note. All the while, the kids are complaining because they thing the dress code is a joke.

Thank you for your participation.

You're welcome.

9. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Mar 16, 2008

Thank you everyone for your participation. Every answer is appreciated.

10. tcutonilli

tcutonilli Rookie

Mar 17, 2008

I agree with our districts dress code, but my personal belief is that it does not go into enough detail about what is acceptable or not.

The policy does have an effect on student behavior - in a negative way. Most students will want to wear whatever they wish, no matter how crude, vulgar, or revealing it is. Students will give many of the faculty a hard time with this, and as a result the faculty does not enforce the dress code.

Yes, having to take the time to enforce the policy is a disruption - this should be handled first thing in the morning by all teachers.

11. sophist42

sophist42 New Member

Mar 17, 2008

N.B. I teach at a private school with a dress code, so I will reply based on my school's policy.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2008

This is the situation at my school as well.

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 17, 2008

Honestly, I feel the same way I do not enforce the dress code unless it is very blatant, I am not going to be pointing out exposed underwear, or measuring the length of girl's shorts. To me it is just not worth the hassle.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2008

I agree for the most part. I would actually like to see uniforms in my school, or at least maybe something stricter against hoodies and sweatpants, and I think the length we allow for skirts is too short (to the fingertips) but for the most part I agree. (And that is only because I teach in a vocational school and would like to see professional dress pushed a little more.)

I think so... If anything I think its one of those things where it is visibly enforced so it reminds the kids who is in charge. I am not sure the actual clothing has an effect on the kids, other than teaching them about appropriate and professional dress.

Not really. Its not hard to say "pull up your pants" or "Turn that inside out" and that is about it. If its recurring, i write it up, which isnt really that time consuming either. If there is an immediate concern that can't be fixed, we send them to the office and they have to wear school issued tee and sweats. I don't make kids measure or hold their hands down to test skirts or their fingers in armpits to test shirts, unless I think its too short/low. I also turn a blind eye when kids are testing and pull their hoods up... I don't even think they notice they do it, but some kids just concentrate when their hood blocks their peripheral vision. I swear by it.

15. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

I like dress codes. Im sick of seeing some of the crap students (and some teachers) where to campus.

And to teachers who dress like crap: You're a professional. Look like one. Casual fridays are reserved for fridays.

And dressing well doesnt mean you have to look expensive.

As for students: I think one of things we as teachers should teach them is the importance of first impressions and appearances in the real world. We can sugar coat the subject all we want but at the end of the day it doesnt prepare them for real life. My students and I talked about this one day and they learned a great deal. None of these young girls are going to get a job if they walk in an interview as some spaghetti-strap-wearing-cussing-snarling creature. And to the fellas: Pick up your **** pants.