School District Gift Policies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rfd1283, May 12, 2019.

1. rfd1283

rfd1283 New Member

May 12, 2019

I'm trying to find information about teacher gift policies, but I'm running into dead ends. I find a lot of rules about teachers accepting gifts - what they can accept, the value of what they can accept, etc. But what about teachers giving gifts? Here's why I asked. A high school coach (who is also a teacher) gave a sports reporter for the local newspaper an expensive gift commemorating a championship season. The reporter accepted the gift and thanked them on Facebook. Someone notified the newspaper. As you might imagine, that's a clear cut violation of paper's ethical policies and gift policy. The Reporter has been suspended. But now I'm wondering if the coach/teacher did something wrong? School districts have rules against accepting gifts. But what about giving gifts??

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 12, 2019

That's strange but I don't see huge ethical issues there. Were school funds used to buy the gift?

4. rfd1283

rfd1283 New Member

May 12, 2019

It was a championship ring, that they get from the State Athletic Association. Good question about how it's paid for. I actually don't know. The parents? The Booster Club? Maybe the school chips in. I'll see if I could find that out.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 12, 2019

Glad I work in a private school and don’t have to deal with this nonsense. I’ve accepted gifts from students valued anywhere from $5 to $500 and my fellow admin don’t care. For example, I routinely have students from each grade level who *each* give me $50 in cash around Christmas. Of course I’m going to accept it!

6. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

May 13, 2019

I work at a charter school. We have a gift giving policy written into our teacher handbook. I can't remember the limit (possibly $75?). As for giving gifts, my personal rule is if I give to one I have to give to all. This limits my budget immensely and I rarely give "gifts" more than standard school supplies and stickers. I have bought gifts for the class like a Wii (that was donated), books, and a class pet (the supplies for said class pet I got through a grant). (I remember one year I put together little gift bags for my class and one student opens it up and says "that's it?".... that was the last time I did that!)