School district checking my references before I have interviewed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by footballfan1989, Sep 14, 2015.

1. footballfan1989

footballfan1989 Rookie

Sep 14, 2015

I got a call from one of my references today that the school district I had applied to had already contacted him on Friday and my interview is Tuesday. I interview tomorrow and wondered if it is common practice to check references before the interview or if I should take this as a good sign?:confused:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2015

It's not common practice in my area. I'd look at it as a good sign. Good luck! :thumb:

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 14, 2015

It's common in my area. It can still be a good sign. Most interviewers have referenced something my contacts said about me in the interview.

5. adf0625

adf0625 Rookie

Sep 14, 2015

This has happened to me before but only for substitute teaching jobs.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2015

I've learned that every district does things differently, and sometimes the same district does things in a vastly different way from year-to-year. In your situation, I would hypothesize that time has something to do with it.

I've had references checked prior to interviewing a few times.

(Personally, I don't understand why. Seems like they are wasting a lot of time!)

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2015

Some schools around me do this as their regular policy. I don't mean to burst your bubble, but in my area for the schools that do this, they do it for everyone and it doesn't necessarily mean you're already ahead of the other candidates. I think some places do it that way so they can offer the position right away after completing their interviews and/or they don't want to waste time interviewing a candidate that has bad references. I'm on my school's interview committee and we haven't done this in years past, but there was a bit of a shortage in our area this year. We had several openings and more than once my P called to offer the job to someone only to find out that they had just taken another position. Towards the middle of the summer we started contacting references prior to interviews so we could make an offer at the end of the day without waiting on references.

8. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 17, 2015

Its a common practice at my school. I was on an interview committee last year and my principle gave us a heads up before they even walked in that they had negative references.

We did always ask the candidate why their references came back negative and none of them were able to justify the reference. To be honest I think they were thrown off guard but at the same time why would you list a reference who you knew would be negative.

Needless to say those interviews didn't last long.

9. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Sep 25, 2015

I think it was noble for the panel to tell the interviewee that they had negative references. How many people constantly are questioning why they're passed for other candidates and are clueless as to why?