School Crisis Plan

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChristyF, Feb 7, 2008.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 7, 2008

The thread about the teacher being shot and stabbed got me to thinking. In the wave of all the school tragedies our parish has really made a push for school safety and is requiring school crisis plans from us all. They include an evacuation plan, connections with local law enforcement, and teams for many of the teachers. (I get to be on the "compassion" team. I will be with parents who are getting bad news, working with local clergy.) We also are going to be required to have one window completely uncovered (so that police always have a visual line into our room. Of course we have yet to actually meet on the plan now that it's final, most of the teachers don't have a clue about it, and we haven't had a practice run, but we have a plan. What are your schools doing? (I have been told that our parish is working with someone who studied the Columbine and Virgina Tech shootings. )

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 7, 2008

We have regular 'lock down" drills at our school. We aren't in a really bad area or anything, but our district has some schools that have had problems, so we practice them district wide. Terrible things can happen in the best of neighborhoods.

When the alarm goes off, we pull any children in the hall into our room, lock the door, put the paper flap over the window so no one can see in, have the children all move to under the chalkboard (its the most protected area of the room in case of gun fire. We then have to put a note up to the window on the door (the one that is covered.) You put up an "all accounted for" if you have everyone in your class and no extras. You put up a "missing" card with the names of any child who is missing (First name and last initial) You put an "extra" card up with the names of any extra children who happen to be in your room.

If you have missing or extra students, and the situation allows it, you also email the principal, vice principal and counselor with the names of extras and missing.

The children must stay absolutely quiet. The creepy thing is, when we do it, the police go door by door, trying to turn the handle to make sure the door is locked. It scare the bejeezus out of the kids, even though we tell them over and over that it is just a drill.

It always seems like it lasts forever, but after a few minutes, the alarm sounds again, and we get the "all clear" announcement. Of course, after that, not much actual schoolwork gets done. The children are too hyper after that.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2008

In my last school we occassionally had lock down drill where we would lock ourselves in the room and turn the lights out. We never had anyone jiggle the doorknobs. That would scare me!

In my current district (which I only sub in for now), I know all schools require guests to scan their license, and only after an all clear from the system are they allowed to go where they are needed. I had to do this the first time I subbed in any of the buildings even though I had my sub tag on.

5. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Feb 8, 2008

My district does the same as the previous two posters- we are required to practice this drill every other month, I believe. We have also been told that we are not to open the door under any circumstances- even for a student. We pull in any extras we see in the hall, but after that we do not open the door. If a kid is trapped in the hall, he just has to find a place to hide. I guess the thinking is that it may be the kid himself who is causing the problem. Or maybe that the offender is right behind him? I'm not sure. I guess the drills are a good idea- I just hope we never have to use them!

Oh, I used all male references. He/she, him/her

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2008

We practice a lock-down drill a couple of times a year. It always seems endless as we wait for the secretaries to buzz into each classroom to determine if all students are accounted for. We had quite a scare last week when one of the teachers (who thought her walkie-talkie was turned off) announced to all that there was an intruder in the school when she spotted one of our former students who had returned for a visit. She immediately realized that her walkie was on and all was cleared up, but there were more than a couple of hearts pounding as we began to clear kids out of the hallways into the classrooms.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 8, 2008

I am not looking forward to our drills because they said we are not to tell the kids why we are drilling. (Yeah, not sure how that's going to to over since we are supposed to go to the rodeo arena which is about a hundred yards from the school.)

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2008

We do lockdown drills, we have only had one in the district that was unannounced, and I wasn't here for that. We always know it is coming, because the announcement says "madeline hunter please come to the office" Every teacher knows what that means! (unless of course madeline hunter DOES teach at your school :lol: )

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2008

We used to have an announcement like that; I was always afraid that I wouldn't recognize the "code name" and would just continue on with business as usual while the rest of the school was scrambling to practice lock-down.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 8, 2008

Our principal found that our dismissal bell had many settings.. one is a very old-timey school bell sound -- like actual bells ringing. That is the one we use for lock-down.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 8, 2008

I teach in an really bad neighborhood, and we've actually had a couple of real lock downs. They've both been for incidences where the police were looking for somebody who had just commited armed robbery within a few blocks of the school. The last time was 20 minutes before dismissal. We were trapped in the school until after 6. It was awful...bored, hungry, whining kids, phones ringing off the hook. Ugh. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

12. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Feb 8, 2008

We have ump-teen million codes. A couple months ago we were going to run a lockdown code (we have 4). Since I'm new I had NO idea what to do. I had to ask other teachers for help, and have my students practice. The different codes refer to doing different things. The first level is to just stay in your room. Our rooms are supposed to always be locked and shut. The levels go up to having the students hide. They should not be able to be seen by anyone standing at the door. I feel safer with the door having to be locked all the time. It gets annoying with kids going in and out to use the restroom, etc. but it's for their safety and mine.

13. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Feb 8, 2008

We have practiced the lockdown drill several times this year. Our principal just comes on the intercom and says, "teachers initiate lockdown." We've practiced it so much that the students all know what to do. It still is really scary!