School Counselor?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, Jul 21, 2012.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2012

I just realized that I am not aware of any school counselors here at A to Z. Surely there are a few, right? Chime in if so. Just curious. :)

3. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 22, 2012

I'm getting my masters in school counseling, but I haven't finished yet. I don't think I've come across any counselors yet.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 22, 2012

Good point. From teachers I've worked with in real life, I've noticed some great tension between teachers and counselors.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2012

Really? How so?

I have always had good experiences with counselors. I think they have too much on their plates (as we all do) and I wish my students were not constantly speaking with the counselor because of the non-stop middle school drama, but there hasn't been tension.

Counselors, here anyway, have become more testing coordinators than anything else...and that must be unpleasant to them.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 22, 2012

Well, I'm just basing it off of where I student taught. I never had problems with counselors, but many of the teachers complained about counselors trying to tell them how to teach and blaming the teachers when the students have bad grades. One teacher mentioned that a counselor tried to get him to totally change his teaching style because of this. In addition, they frequently interrupted classes to make long (5-10 minute) announcements that added up. One of my favorite quotes I heard from an old teacher was "I didn't realize that the guidance counselors were administrators...maybe they can come and do my evaluations!"

In addition I heard several complain about counselors not having duties like the teachers do since most of them just walk around all day anyway. I don't know the other side of it, but yeah...

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2012

JustMe~this is how it has become in my stat as well. I know that my counselor is stressed by the time testing is over with.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2012

I have had nothing but good experiences with counselors I have worked with over the years. Most of them have been given countless extra duties in addition to their primary role and they all have done their best to fulfill those duties.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 22, 2012

Same here! I've met one or two who probably shouldn't be in that position, but the vast majority are good people who love their jobs. They get in to the field to help kids, really "counsel" them, and it never ends up that way. They get stuck with master schedules, balancing class loads, ARD meetings and LOTS of testing coordination.

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 22, 2012

The counselor at my school is a saint. Without her, this past year would have been unbearable. She is so good with the kids, and so friendly and welcoming to the staff. No matter what mood I'm in, just chatting with her for a few minutes brightens my day. She is absolutely wonderful :)

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2012

Every counselor in my school, right up to the director of guidance, is also a teacher. So they're a great resource; they know what's going on in the classrooms and they are in touch with the realities.

12. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 22, 2012

I'm not a counselor, but I work closely with them because I help build the master schedule. There is indeed some animosity in our district between the guidance staff and the teachers, but most of that is related to scheduling and not actual counseling related issues. Teachers get upset when they feel they were "wronged" somehow in the courses they teach/students they were assigned, which is ultimately setup by guidance.

As for actual guidance counseling, they seem to do very little of that. It's testing, scheduling, and grade monitoring. Some college readiness work.

13. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 22, 2012

Working on my masters in school counseling right now...I finish up in October. There doesn't seem to be any tension between our current counselors and teachers. Based on the responsibilities counselors and teachers have I can't imagine being able to get everything accomplished and having any free time at school.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 22, 2012

The counselors at my school should be, routinely, placed on pedestals and have rose petals thrown at their feet. What they do is insanely complicated (each counselor has about 700 students to manage) and time consuming. Yet, if I call one of the counselors about a particular student, they always know enough about him or her to give me at least a pulse check on that kid's needs. I am nothing but grateful for the folks in that department and would flail helplessly without them.