School Clothes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsWK, Sep 16, 2008.

1. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 16, 2008

I used to love back-to-school shopping as a kid, so I think I'd continue to buy school clothes for myself even if I wasn't technically in school. I loved looking through all the department store ads the weekend that my mom would take us for new clothes.

I wasn't planning on doing back-to-school shopping this year, but it just dropped below 80 here for the first time in weeks. I went to pull out my favorite pants, and saw that they were really worn at the thigh (to the point where I'd be afraid that they'd pop open when I wore them). I decided I couldn't go the year without those pants, so I ordered two new pairs (gotta love the internet!). Then I got a few other things I've been wanting for a while (and basically ended up doing a whole load of back-to-school shopping).

It's the start of the school year. Did you buy new back-to-school clothes? If not, is there something you're planning on buying in the near future? How often do you buy clothes? Are there essentials that you can't live without?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 16, 2008

My husband cut out my shopping budget when we got married, as I was a major splurger and really didn't need anything else. I fell out of the habit of shopping-hard to believe, but you actually forget how! After two years of slobby dressing, he got me a personal stylist for our anniversary and let me spend a large amount of money to jumpstart a new wardrobe. I love my new look, and am starting to get back into the swing of shopping. I have a new budget for clothes each month (we make a bit more now), and I just picked up a second job that I can spend money from on clothes. I need to get a pair of jean capris in the future, with maybe a black fitted jacket. I would like a new pair of kakhi shorts, too. I don't really need a whole lot anymore, though.

Funny, I just posted in the other thread about clothes in Elem. Ed. Here's a link to my stylist purchases:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikuppman/sets/72157606667793344/

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2008

I usually buy a new outfit every year for school. I cut that out at first this year because I am losing weight and didn't want to waste money on something I might not be able to wear in a few months. But then when I got into school, my classroom was soooo hot. Usually it is freezing. So I don't really have any summer-y work clothes. So i went out and bought some new tops and a new pair of 'denim trousers' (ie jeans I can wear to work).

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2008

I practically bought a whole new wardrobe. But I have been gaining weight :( and my old clothes would not be appropriate. I like tight pants, but not skin tight. I just got a gym membership, so hopefully I will go down and be able to wear my old clothes again, and still be able to wear some of my new ones.
    In all fairness, I probably would have bought all new clothes whether I gained weight or not.

6. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 17, 2008

My husband and I go shopping every few months, sometimes the mall, sometimes an outlet mall, but we try to think about what we really need before we go. Lately, like Jem, I have looked at my wardrobe and realized I haven't bought anything in a long time and my closet is really lacking. Last year I was between two schools, in grad school, and planning a wedding. I wore the same clothes two days a week and spent all my money on school or the wedding. I have bought several new things this year: a sweater vest, sleeveless black top, brown shoes, black shoes, two gray sweaters, and a hat. I still need at some point a medium weight dress coat, winter boots, a nice black dress and some more basics that aren't cotton t shirts.

7. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 17, 2008

I bought new clothes this year. I didn't do much clothes shopping last school year and my wardrobe was lacking. I didn't buy new clothes last year since I had been gaining weight and I was convinced I was going to lose 15-20 pounds...however, I am being much more realistic this year. Since I haven't lost the weight yet, I just bought a whole bunch of outfits. It feels good to wear clothes that fit me a bit better!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2008

I'll get some shopping in before I return to school next month.

My favorite is suits. Given that I just had a mastectomy and that the reconstruction will take several months beyond my return, I'm thinking that some nice structured suit jackets will be my best bet.

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2008

I had to actually buy (and am still adding to) a new wardrobe, because the clothes I wore previously were not suitable for me to teach in (T-shirts and shorts).

10. classicbeauty02

classicbeauty02 Rookie

Sep 17, 2008

Jem those clothes are cute!

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2008

I shop throughout the whole year. I have a really hard time finding clothes that I like and look good on me. I tend to buy only REALLY nice things that look nice and accentuate my figure. I watch a lot of What Not to Wear and really take the rules to heart. As a result, I can't just go out and do a back to school shopping trip as I prolly won't find anything that I like.

I buy clothes from Old Navy, Gap, and The Loft.

12. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 17, 2008

I love to be able to start off the new year with new outfits. I wore a new dress today, and a new skirt and shirt yesterday. It was great. Tomorrow and Friday, I can wear two new outfits, and then next week, the new stuff will go into my regular rotation.

I usually pick up a few things a few times a year. Plus, my mom (who is a teacher) is my same size, and gives me a lot of her stuff that's just a season old. Some of it is pretty dorky (like I would never wear her khakis... they are just the wrong shape for me [imagine pleated, elastic-waist, anke-tight khakis, when I usually wear boot cut / flat front]). But I do like the blouses and sweaters she gives me. I've gotten lots of cute teacher clothes and shoes from her... stuff I wouldn't normally wear in my free time, but I can wear it to work and save my money for more fun clothes.

I probably shouldn't buy anything else until at least Christmastime. There are just a few things I have my eye on. I have started to love catalog / internet shopping in my "old age."

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 18, 2008

This is my kind of thread! I LOVE to shop & I love it all...the clothes, jewelry, shoes, handbags, watches, makeup, & I've learned to like sunglasses lately. I nev used to really care for them before because the bottom rims always rubbed against my cheeks mkg those indentation marks. They still do that now.

There's nev a bad time to shop! I don't just shop at the start of a school yr.

I literally hv TONS of clothes & shoes. They're either in my 2 closets, in a bag to go to the cleaners, in the hamper, or a few other bags (if I don't wear them as much or it's off-season clothing). I just packed up 20 pairs of shoes I can't really wear anymore & I still hv about 25 more pairs.

I get good quality clothing on sale many times. I'd rather have less high quality clothing than tons & tons of cheap clothing. I love Nordstrom!