school closed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by runnerss, Sep 11, 2008.

1. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Sep 11, 2008

We don't have school tomorrow. In the last 12 hours we have 6 inches of rain and it isn't letting up. They closed school for tomorrow. I have never had school close because of rain. I live in West Texas, so it's not like we live right by the coast. It is a good 8-10 hours away.
    My city takes in evacuees from Houston when they have tropical storms. Ummm...I find this kind of funny when we can't even drive down the road because they are flooded and they are sending evacuees to us this weekend.:eek:hmy: I guess having some extra rain is better than a hurricane!!

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 11, 2008

Ack! A soggy three day weekend...just what all of us want :D

I'm glad you're not in the direct path of the storm, and I pray that the rain doesn't cause any real damage. Stay safe.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2008

We just missed 8 days of school for Hurricane Gustav, went back to school for 2 days, and are off again tomorrow because of Hurricane Ike. At this rate, we might finish this school year in July to begin next school year on time!

5. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 12, 2008

Let me guess you live in Lubbock??? :)

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2008

We are in the same situation here. In our district, they have taken away out PTC days, inservice days, and they are adding 20-25 mins to our day in order to make up for the time. School Board decided not to add it to the end of the year.

7. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

You are good! Most people, unless you live in Texas, don't know where Luboock is.

8. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

We are up to 8 inches know, in less then 24 hours. We don't know what to do with ourselves, because we NEVER get this much rain at once.

I feel bad for those who have to extend school days or even go later into the summer. Being behind one day is driving me nuts. I can't even imagine being behind 8-10 days.:(

9. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 13, 2008

Yea. I went to TTU there so i definately know that they have issues when it rains AND i have a lot of friends that live there and they have all told me how horrible it is.

I hope it gets better there...i know how frustrating it is for all those roads to be closed and then need to be patched up time and time again. Oh lubbock, Tx.

10. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

:lol: Someone who understands! They have got to do someting about their drainage system. If we even get 1 inch of rain then the outside lane is always flooded. THey have made some improvements with the plyla (sp?) lakes so that the water will drain into the lakes. But something still needs to be done. I doubt anything will happen since we NEVER get this much rain.

11. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 13, 2008

They did that to us when Katrina came through we ended up losing recess and lunch and breakfast was shortened and times to get to school started earlier so we didn't have to stay so late in the day. It sucked.
    I thought that the last hurricane was gonna come our way like Katrina but, it didn't.
    We are only getting rain and some wind.
    It has been raining so much since the hurricanes begun this year. I dont know how much more the ground can hold or the trees before they begin to fall.
    We have full creeks, pools, and rivers.
    :(

12. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

I got a call in the middle of the night on Thurday from TTU saying classes were cancelled on Friday They have a rather newly-established communication network. My daughter attends there. She said some kids were making the most of the water, for example tying ropes to the back of trucks and pulling people on surfboards.

13. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Sep 13, 2008

I too live in Louisiana. I live in Vermilion Parish in a city called Erath which is close to the coast. For Hurricane Rita, the whole city flooded. This looks like it's going to be just like Rita. I have no idea if our house is flooded as no one can go into the city. So we are just sitting around and waiting. Our school closed on Friday as well and we missed 4 days with Gustav so it should be an interesting school year. I am sick of hurricanes!!!

14. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

After the shootings at Virginia Tech, TTU came up with a new system for emergencies. That is hillarious that they were pulling people on surf boards.Doesn't surprise me.:lol: The flooding is not too bad anymore. It is only bad around the lakes

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

FootballGal,

I know what you mean about being sick of hurricanes. I hope that your house is ok, I know that it is not a good feeling waiting to get back home. We just came from touring our town and there is more flooding in our area than there was for Rita. I know that one school for sure is flooded. I hope that all is well in our school.

16. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2008

I know that I am ready for hurricane season to be over. We got lucky because they kept saying Ike was going to be similar to Rita and my house flooded for Rita. It ended up taking 10 months to re-build and I am not up to that right now. Hope everyone is well, safe, and dry!

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2008

Hope your houses are not flooded this time. What a mess. We've gotten lucky in south FL so far.

18. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Sep 13, 2008

Thanks, DHE. I keep seeing the videos of Erath on tv and we live about 2 minutes from the middle school and high school so I still don't know for sure if our house got flooded. I don't know if any schools got flooded in Iberia parish which is where I teach. I hope the water starts going down soon!

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

Is anyone familiar with Sun City in Texas? I think it's near Georgetown. My brother and SIL live there.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 13, 2008

I'm praying for all of you in the affected areas. The news might not be great, but I'll pray that you have the strenght to get through it. :hugs:

21. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 14, 2008

That sounds like a great new system. I know its annoying to get a phone call in the middle of the night but at least people know they can sleep in a little in the morning:) I wish individual teachers called and told students about their indivdual classes bc i sure hated when i would drive all the way to campus for a note outside the door that said class cancelled. haha.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2008

Not too familiar with it, but see the sign to it every summer when we go to Schlitterbahn. I think its between Georgetown and Austin.