School Camera Issue

Discussion in 'General Education' started by IClilpeopleu2*, Jul 12, 2020.

1. IClilpeopleu2*

IClilpeopleu2* Rookie

Jul 12, 2020

Hello Good People,
    * LONG POST*
    I have a question about cameras in the classroom. I have a fellow co-worker watching me on the monitor to see what I'm doing in my room. Her grandson is in my room and she is able to watch me because the monitor is facing her room from our office. The office and the room she is in, is only separated by a sliding glass door. the monitor is big so you can see all the rooms and if its focused on one room you really see it good, but things on the camera look like your going in fast pace when your not. well she has accused me of slamming her grandson too hard on my floor ( I have 12 to 24 month olds)
    My supervisor and Center owner both looked at the video and said I did nothing wrong and I was not trying to hurt ANY child. The floor in this case is a shag rug 3 inches thick and I was moving her grandson fast because he was about to get bit by another child. The cameras do not have sound so she doesn't know what I said before I moved him and she clams she could hear me slam this child down all the way to her room...um I doubt it. This child is adjusting to being in preschool, he has only been a a sitters all this time. He requires being told not to hit, throw things, and he loves to push so I have to say his name right often and she hears this and I get looks from her. This is going to be a problem. I feel she doesn't have a right to watch me all day on the monitor.

Never had a issue with her up until now, actually I THOUGHT we were on a friend level I guess not now that her grandchild is with me.
    What should I do? I don't think other employees should be allowed to watch the classrooms on the monitor. Only the Daycare Supervisor, Director, or Owner should have access to the video RIGHT??? HELP!!!

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 12, 2020

This is a tough situation but I’m not sure what you can do about it. Would you be able to ask your boss discretely if the monitor can be turned? If not you may just have to be extra careful.

My school wants to put cameras in all classrooms to livestream to parents of students who have opted to learn at home due to COVID. I see huge potential issues with this, in the way you describe.

4. IClilpeopleu2*

IClilpeopleu2* Rookie

Jul 12, 2020

Oh my gosh yes!! That would and will be a nightmare. I was told we cant do something like that because its a privacy issue. Parents are not allowed to watch other children thats not their child, not allowed

5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 13, 2020

Yikes, I would HATE to be watched all day. Is there a way you can cover the window? So many things could be taken out of context.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2020

It is indeed a horrible situation and the daycare center itself should probably have policies against this.

However, legally -- no you don't have a "right" to not be observed by any particular person. The daycare could, for instance, invite all the parents in to watch. (the above post notwithstanding -- that's a daycare policy decision that may be wise, but is not strongly rooted in regulation, at least not most places).

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jul 16, 2020

Is there any way that you could rebuild the friendship with her? If they are going to allow her to watch, I don't know any other way.
    I had a parent who was an aide 1x who was a royal pita b/c she never believed her kid would do anything wrong. Even if he did it in front of her. When communication was at least open on a friendly level, she caused me a lot of drama, but I know her now well enough to know she'd have really caused me worse problems if I had not kept a decent communication open. I am sorry! I know it makes for a tough year!