School called but no message..

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sunfishy, Jul 28, 2014.

1. sunfishy

sunfishy Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

I had an interview at a school today and had put my cell phone on silent so that it would not ring during the interview. Shortly after I arrived home, I noticed that I had a missed phone call from the school that I had interviewed at. They called me only 45 minutes after I left, but did not leave me a message. I definitely did not leave anything behind and I am paranoid that they were going to move me on to round two but something happened when they tried to leave me a message. I did send a follow up thank you email to the principal, but I have not received a response. This district had tried to email me once in the past and I definitely never received it so they had to resend it. I REALLY want to make it to round two, but it was the first interview and was only 20 minutes so I had a bad feeling about it. I honesty can't come up with a reason why a school would call shortly after an interview but not leave a message. How long after your first interview did it take to find out you made it to round 2?

3. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 28, 2014

Did you call them back as soon as you saw that they called?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2014

Call them.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2014

Call. I had the same thing happen to me while I was in Europe. Turned out my VM wasn't working. They offered me an interview.

6. sunfishy

sunfishy Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

No, I didn't call back. I wanted to but I didn't know what to do since they did not leave a message. I know they were conducting interviews all day so I honestly did not know what to do. They called at 12:17... which is lunchtime. After they had called, I did email a thank you to the principal with my phone number and the message that I look forward to hearing from them soon. In the past, I have always received a phone call on the same day as an interview when I made it to the next round. My husband is of the opinion that if they chose me for the second round they will respond to my thank you email or call me again tomorrow. I just hope that they did not try to leave me a message and it somehow did not go through.... I am honestly not sure what to do without seeming desperate or stalking the school for an update. My husband thinks my best bet is to wait it out.

7. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 28, 2014

I think you should call. It can't hurt - I mean, they called you first! It's not like you are calling them repeatedly to check about the next round...

8. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 28, 2014

I don't think responding to a phone call with no message is stalkerish. I would just call, mention you saw the missed call and ask if they needed anything else.

9. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 28, 2014

I call numbers back all the time when they don't leave a message, even when I pretty much know they are a wrong number. Just go, "Hello. This is *insert name here*. I am returning your phone call."

10. sunfishy

sunfishy Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

Thank you so much for the advice. I think I might call back at noon tomorrow if I have not heard from them. I had my husband call my phone and his message went through fine. It just seems so strange to me.

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2014

Definitely call back! I would just explain that you saw you had a missed call and were just checking in. I wouldn't wait until noon either, to be honest...I'd call first thing. What if they were scheduling 2nd round interviews for tomorrow morning?

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2014

I agree with waterfall. Call first thing!!

13. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

Always always ALWAYS call back! They probably called because they liked you enough to move you to round 2. Or if they needed an important piece of information. Either way, if they weren't interested in you, they wouldn't call at all. Calling them back shows persistence. That happened to me a few times and I called back right away.

I agree. Call in the morning. When looking for a job, be persistent and not passive. Show them that you WANT that job. They called you, the ball is in your court, make that move!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2014

I hope that you have already called them this morning!

15. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 29, 2014

God I would have pounced on the phone calling them back!!! How did you resist the urge!

16. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2014

Well??? Did you call? We want to know...

17. sunfishy

sunfishy Rookie

Jul 29, 2014

I called back first thing this morning. I said that I interviewed with them yesterday morning and noticed a missed call from the school that occurred after my interview. I then asked if they needed any further information from me. I was told that someone from the office may have called me yesterday, but at this time there is nothing they need from me and they have nothing to tell me. In my experience, I always know within two days if I am moved to round two. Since the principal never responded to my thank you email, and I did not receive a call about my status today, I am pretty sure that they chose three other candidates to move on. I don't think that they are going to tell me that I was not selected until they hire one of the three candidates they chose for the next round.

I did learn a lesson here... call back immediately! I stressed out about it all day yesterday. On a side note, though I really liked the school it may not have been meant to be. They should have left a message.

18. lionvirion

lionvirion Rookie

Jul 29, 2014

That's still really weird though. There was SOME reason they called. I just wonder what it was. They really should have left a message.

19. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 29, 2014

Whaaa how strange. I don't approve.

20. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 29, 2014

That's very bizarre...I wonder why they called you then?? Hmm. They should have left a message since they definitely didn't call you just to say they had nothing to say!!

21. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 29, 2014

I really get so frustrated when they don't respond to anything, like a thank you email. I know there is not any type of obligation owed when one interviews or applies for a position, but still....:(

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 30, 2014

It's possible they called the wrong person. Maybe someone with the same first name as you? Then when they realized it they didn't leave a message. I wouldn't have stressed out about it though since anytime someone calls and it's important they leave a message.

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2014

This is what I was thinking, too.

24. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

Yup, got one of those. I answered and was "offered" a job, only to get a call back saying it was a mistake and the person they wanted to hire had a similar name as I did.

But yea, any person who calls me and needs me to call back, they always leave a voicemail.

25. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

I wonder if this is what happened to me last week. I got a voicemail from a school saying that they wanted to interview me and would "love" to speak to me, and when I called back they were like "ummm...okay? I guess we can schedule you somewhere. I'll call you back." and never did. :dizzy: Now I wonder if someone with a similar name to mine applied and they meant to call them instead.

26. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

Oh wow RedStripey, I'd be really annoyed!!!!!! I would've called them back, and if they do it again, mention that the person who called said "we'd LOVE to speak with you!"

I swear, some people are so unprofessional. Get your resumes straight! I used to be a secretary and I NEVER called the wrong person. How can someone make these stupid mistakes? :lol:

Funny thing is, that school that made that mistake in my situation last summer…I got interviewed by them again in the middle of the year…and I got another call by them this summer only to reject them because I got a job. Sorry :D

27. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

Funny thing is, the lady who answered when I called back was the same person who said that she would love to speak with me. So weird.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2014

Someone may have dialed only to realize they had called the wrong candidate and hung up.

29. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

RedStripey - I'd call them back. Would you? Because I would. And if they act like that again, calmly asked "so how come I got a call for an interview?" It's not like you're needling them with if they made a decision on making a job offer. Come on, they shouldn't be unprofessional like that, stuff like that annoys me :p

30. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

Yeah, you have a good point. I was thinking of calling back but I didn't want to see too pushy but you're right, I'm not asking about a job offer.

The whole thing was very weird. :/ I'll call them tomorrow to follow up and if they act like that again I'll let it go because I'm not sure if I want to work for a district that pulls that!

31. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 31, 2014

Yea you're right. I just don't like hearing those stories! They're painful! But yea, give it another try :p

32. snowball2014

snowball2014 Rookie

Aug 5, 2014

A niece or nephew was probably going to be hired regardless, and as such there needed to be a 'record', just in case any investigation ever occurred- "See, we called this applicant here, and that one there...our decision was justified...."
    -Keep on trucking kid