School Calendar

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LATechTeacher, Feb 4, 2009.

1. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Feb 4, 2009

:soapbox:We just found out today that the teachers and staff are no longer allowed to vote on the proposed school year calendar. This year our "lovely" school board members have proposed a calendar with 3 days for Thanksiving Break and 7 days for Christmas Break. We also will not have Spring Break until the last week of April. It is just ONE Month away from the last day of school. Needless to say EVERYONE is in an uproar. We are all going to the school board meeting to voice our opinions tomorrow! Are we the only school district that gett to have a say in the calendar? Im so...upset!! :mad:

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2009

We have no say in our school calendar. The board determines our calendar based on several things, including the calendar for the high school district (we are not a unit district). They try to have our major breaks the same so that it is easier for families.

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 4, 2009

I've never heard of a school district around here where teachers have any input in the calendar. I sure wish we did though so I sympathize with your loss of input.

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Feb 4, 2009

We all got to vote for 4 different options for our school calendar this year as always although it is usually just 2 options. I know back home in Kentucky we got to vote also.

6. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Feb 4, 2009

We never get to vote on the calendar. It is a county wide calendar due to many special needs children throughout the county that attend a school that specializes in educating them.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2009

I know in the district I'm in now the teachers have a voice in the calendar. My previous district the teachers AND parents were able to vote on 3 options. The one with the most votes won.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 4, 2009

Our union worked on the calendar in MI. It was always done very well.

9. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Feb 4, 2009

Teachers get a say about the proposed calendar in our board. In fact, I'm on the committee that gives our staff feedback about the calendar. Surprisingly, they actually care about what we think and have made changes to accommodate us. A few years ago, they even changed the 'approved' calendar after hearing complaints from teachers and parents. I say speak up, let them know how you feel and why. Good luck!

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2009

we never vote, although each school for the district might have a rep on the calendar committee or something like that.

we get 3 days for Thanksgiving and 7 for Christmas - I think that is pretty standard.

11. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

We don't get to vote on calendars or anything, but a committee develops several possible calendars to be presented to the board. We can give our input to the committee to consider when creating the calendars.

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2009

The school board proposes the calendar, and we vote whether to accept it or not. It's pretty stable year to year.

13. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2009

We don't vote but our union leaders approve it once the board has made a draft.

14. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Feb 4, 2009

Maybe we're just spoiled here, but normally we get out around December 19th and don't go back until January 5th or so. At Thanksgiving, we normally get the entire week. My mom teaches in Florida, and she gets the same breaks. I love the length of Christmas because it gives us time to take a break, and then we can go into our classrooms. I work on plans and kinda get refreshed for the new semester.:)

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2009

As a matter of fact, I voted on line today.

It's open to anyone.

Staff and parents log in and vote. Have to leave name, address, etc. and how connected to the school system.

Two choices.

16. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

we have no say in our calender. three days for thanksgiving sounds good... we get a half day before thanksgiving, and then thurs and fri. why do you need more then that? Our christmas break depends on when new years falls. We usually get the 23rd until Jan. 2nd. Spring Break fluctuates depending on when Easter is. We usually get the week after Easter. I don't know, your calender doesn't sound so horrific... as long as they have you teaching the number of days you are supposed to and not adding days. (by me teachers go 183 days, and students 180.)

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 5, 2009

We have never really gotten a say, but I think that is because we didn't ever ask for one. We just took what they gave us. But this year, we looked at the draft, and came up with a list of proposed changes. No additions or removals of days off, but rather changes. Like, they had a bunch of work days on Thursdays. That makes no sense to me. I would much rather have them on a Friday or Monday, so the kids don't get off as bad. Nothing ever gets done on the Friday after those days! Plus, they had the majority of the work days in the fall-we just asked for an even distribution.

As for vacation days, that is pretty standard every year. We get 1 day for fall break, 2 for Thanksgiving, Christmas depends (although this year we asked for and got a paid work day in January right before the kids come back-I mean we asked for it for next year), 2 days for spring break in March, 2 for Easter. We start around the 3rd week of August and are out the second or third week or May, depending.

18. goopp

goopp Devotee

Feb 5, 2009

OUr calendar is voted on by staff and parents every 2 years, although I don't think that they take the calendar with the most votes...but they do take our opinions under consideration. For a while, the calendar had moved to 3 days at Thanksgiving, but they finally realized that teachers were correct when we told them that there were more students absent on Mon/Tues than normal. This year, they went back to a week for Thanksgiving. We also get 2 weeks for winter break, plus a teacher work day the next Monday and kids come back the Tuesday after the 1st. We get a week for Spring break.

19. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Feb 5, 2009

We went to the school board meeting today, and they have tabled the calendar. They are going back to the drawing board to make four new calendars, and we (parents and staff) are going to be able to give our opinions. They are then going to decide on one. There were TONS of people at the school board meeting. We at least have the chance now for our opinions to be heard! :D

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 6, 2009

I am happy for you, I would totally be upset if this would happen to us. I could not imagine not having my week for Thanksgiving and the long break for Christmas. Teachers and students need this time to regroup. It is nice to be heard. I can't believe how many of you don't get to vote on the calendar; that is routine here. LATech, I guess we are spoiled.

21. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 6, 2009

We were just offered 3 calendars to vote on. We have always got to vote.

22. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 7, 2009

The only time that we have voted was when Texas had to change the start date of school (state wide). Most school districts voted between having the last day of school be in June or cutting out some days of Thanksgiving or winter break. We choose to keep the longer break and have not had a vote since. Also, 2 years ago my district has Spring Break a different week than the other small near-by districts. It caused all kinds of problems for day cares and parents who taught or had kids in a different district than their own. It was such a big public uproar that they changed it to be at the same time as the other districts.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2009

We have never had any say in the calendar. A rough draft is published in March.

24. frogger

frogger Devotee

Feb 7, 2009

I would say I'm not sure if I have a say in it either - they send out a rough draft and we send copies to the parents so they can have a say but then the Board adopts it pretty much as they wrote it out in the rough draft.

25. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2009

Our union has a representative that works on a committee that forms the calendar. We only get 3 days for Thanksgiving, and Christmas break depends on when the holidays fall (we get as little as 5 days some years, as much as 10 other years.) And, traditionally, we get only Good Friday for Spring Break. However, next year, for the first time ever, we get a full week in Spring, because parents have been so vocal in asking for it.
    Kim

26. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2009

Our union can put in suggestions for the calendar. The superintendent makes the final decision and he can take or leave the suggestions.