School Calendar

Discussion in 'General Education' started by daisycakes, Apr 8, 2015.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Apr 8, 2015

I used to work at the charter and we had the following year's calendar in hand in January. We aligned our calendar with the local district, meaning that district had their calendar sorted out by December.

It is April and my new district does not have a calendar. I have asked to know the first day of school 2 times and each time have been shut down, like I am a crazy person for wanting to know when I am expected to be back at work 4 months from now! I am trying to plan my summer and there are a lot of concerns (summer course, boyfriend's work schedule, father's surgeries, family celebrations in far away places, etc.) and it would be super-helpful if I knew the day I needed to be back at work. When do you get your schedule?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2015

Our school year calendar for the upcoming year is usually approved by the Board in early March. Once it is approved, there are no changes.

4. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Apr 8, 2015

Who are you asking? You might check the district site and the board agenda and then the minutes. They might have the calendar as an attachment.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 8, 2015

Ours is released 6-8 months before the start of each school year.

6. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Apr 8, 2015

I am asking the district and they said it won't be released until May! The board hasn't approved it.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2015

When did school begin this year? I would think that it would be fairly similar.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 8, 2015

Ours was released a while ago - it's available online, but not officially approved.

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Apr 8, 2015

We just got ours. It usually comes out earlier, but in the end, it depends upon when the board approves it.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 8, 2015

We got ours in mid February. I like knowing. I think I would have a hard time not knowing until May!

11. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 9, 2015

I think my local board approves them at the first meeting of the calendar year, distributes it ASAP so everyone knows, then finalizes the super-final version of it at the second to last meeting of the school year - in case they decide to add more snow days, things like that.

12. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Apr 9, 2015

Okay, I am glad I am not crazy thinking May is late. If I get the calendar in late May, school starts just 3 months later!

I don't think going by the date we started this year is a good practice. There is a lot of variation in school start dates in this area. Also, Easter will be several weeks earlier next year, meaning spring break will be earlier. Additionally, we had 3 paid PD days at the beginning of this year which I know we aren't getting next year.

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 9, 2015

We don't have ours by now, but we also know that school always starts for students after Labour Day, and that we are in the week before that for meetings/classroom setup.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2015

Calendars are generally openly discussed at my district board meetings. Tentative schedule is sent to union leadership before official board vote as a courtesy. Our schedule for next year has been public for about a month already.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2015

Most of the districts I have worked in have posted the next years calendar near the end of the first semester...2015-2016 was out in Dec 2014.