School Budget!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2019

My new school has a budget of $250 for supplies. This is in addition to normal consumable supplies (chart paper, markers, etc.) that you can request from the supply closet. My VP said that in my first year we can go over and to email him what I need. He said he will scale back if necessary.

My school is piloting a new curriculum, so every child will have a workbook for each unit and all of the supplies provided with this curriculum.

My school already has a ton of math manipulatives (fraction circles, rulers, algebra tiles, and lots more etc.), scissors (which I have too), and other basic supplies.

We do not have fraction tiles so I was thinking of spending a big chunk of $$ on fraction tiles with a tray. A class set of 30 would be $185 (the cheapest I found from EAI Education. ) Each set is usually $10 so if this website doesn't work, I might ask for about 15 so the kids could share. I have a really good lesson with fraction tiles that I want to be able to teach and I use it for dividing fractions and equivalent fractions.

I was thinking of also asking for folding 3-d shapes for Geometry ($30 each) and then asking for privacy shields from really good stuff (2 sets so most kids could have 1) OR privacy shields from Lakeshore (since I could get 30 shields for only a little bit more). Do you think this is too much to ask for?

I would also love one of those classroom timers from Lakeshore but again that's a lot.

The total would come to about $350.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 30, 2019

Go ahead and ask. The worst that will happen is they say no. Maybe have the items ranked so that it will be easier to adjust if needed.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2019

I think I'm going to ask for about $350 in supplies and see what they say!

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 30, 2019

I’m not sure that I would ask for the math materials since you are piloting a new program that comes with all of the supplies needed. You may already get some with the program, or you might find that you don’t need them. I usually give it a year with new program materials to figure out what I really need before making a request. I would focus more on what organizational materials or office supplies you need, if it were me.

otterpop likes this.
  6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2019

I have looked at the lessons and it has the kids model dividing fractions so the fraction tiles would help and the curriculum kit doesn't come with them. In my experience, a lot of students struggle to draw out the models (and this was the experience with people who have taught with this curriculum & my experience last year). I would definitely also use them in my small group intervention lessons and my intervention time with the 6th graders.

I could get a set of 15 for $99 and have the kids share instead of 30 for $184. I'm going to tell my VP that this would also be fine since I went over the budget if we need to scale back. I feel like I generally do have most classroom organizational stuff already from last year since I already bought it and honestly the room came with extra organizational stuff I need any more stuff. One thing I did invest in this year was a cart for kids to turn in work to and where I could file papers ready to hand back to kids for each class. (We already have a pencil sharpener, trays, etc. in addition to stuff that I already have.) Basic office supplies seem to be provided by the school. I kind of want the giant timer from Lakeshore but I will save it for next year. :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019