School Appopriate Music that's CURRENT?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ArtTeacherK, Mar 26, 2009.

1. ArtTeacherK

ArtTeacherK Rookie

Mar 26, 2009

Does anyone have any clean playlists (just a list of songs, not necessarily a file or mp3s) or links to online radio stations that play clean (no swears, no overwhelming sexual innuendos or outright descriptions of violent acts) but current music that an urban population might like? I'm thinking along the lines of Rihanna's Umbrella song?

I'm an art teacher who'd like to play some music for the older kids while they're working independently. Unfortunately, all the music I like is electronica or underground indie pop or lots of other things that the kids at this school could care less about :) I'm having a lot of trouble finding stuff.

3. sciencewrestler

sciencewrestler Rookie

Mar 26, 2009

I would try www.pandora.com. I've been using it myself the past couple months and like it.

It's a free online streaming music station that can be customized by the user, but I am not sure if it could be guaranteed that ALL the songs would be free of curse words or decriptions of situations not appropriate for a school environment.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2009

Take a look at Will Smith's stuff.

A few years ago, my Korean/Irish/Italian/American son decided he loved rap music. He was about 7 years old at the time; way too young for the lyrics that typically accompany rap music. The I discovered Will Smith.

The messages are all positive, but the style is rap.

Here's a particular favorite:

http://www.sing365.com/music/Lyric....s-Will-Smith/31B4697E863418DC48256BCD0007AE62

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 26, 2009

Here's a list of some suggestions. These are all top 20 on the station that I listen to which plays music my high school students would enjoy. I gave links to the lyrics for most. I didn't necessarily read every word, so if something is inappropriate disregard the suggestion!

"I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz
    http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/j/jason_mraz/im_yours.html

Love Story by Taylor Swift

Heatless by Kanye West
    http://artists.letssingit.com/kanye-west-lyrics-heartless-w7l3xwv

Single Ladies by Beyoncee

Pussycat Dolls "I hate this part"
    http://artists.letssingit.com/the-pussycat-dolls-lyrics-i-hate-this-part-sszxm2z

and also by the Pussycat Dolls, "When I grow up"

"The Climb" by Miley Cyrus

The White Tie Affair "Sick and Tired"
    http://artists.letssingit.com/the-white-tie-affair-lyrics-candle-sick-and-tired-5m37tsb

"You Found Me" by The Fray
    http://www.tsrocks.com/t/the_fray_texts/you_found_me.html

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Mar 26, 2009

I use kids bop & smart shorties. I also use the instrumental versions of the top 40 songs. I recently purchased an mp3 album through amazon that had 30 instrumental songs for 8.99. We are using it for a project but I will use it for other things after that. :D

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2009

Listen to RadioDisney for a couple of days. They play top 40 stuff as well as Disney artists. I find lots of music there that is appropriate for my 7 yr old daughter to listen to.

8. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 26, 2009

There is an incredible group of young adults called Soulfege' - They are peace activist who use rap-reggae-african music. The leader is Derrick Ashong, who is an incredible Harvard graduate who started the group and is involved with many global groups around the world. He does work with Desmond Tutu and his grandson as well as Nelson Mandela, and many others. The music is fresh, hip, inspiring, and political. Just google Derrick Ashong or Soulfege' - they also have a myspace page.

Your students will love the music and the message they sing of is incredible -

9. keekum

keekum Rookie

Mar 26, 2009

anything by lauryn hill. they eat it up!

10. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Mar 27, 2009

Be careful is all I have to say. I had no idea that a song that is played on the radio actually has the B word in it. That word is not played on the radio but when you get it from iTunes, it is on there loud and clear. The kids will ALL KNOW what word is missing even if you use the "cleaned up" version. I'm not in favor of using the cleaned up versions when the "real" version has bad words.

11. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Mar 27, 2009

You can also check out www.imeem.com. Pandora is great as well, but you can find all of the newer stuff on Imeem.

Historygeek, thanks for the reference to Soulfege, I'm definitely gonna check that out

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2009

Yes, be careful! I put on the oldies station once - I figured it was the only thing I could play with absolute certainty that nothing inappropriate would come on.

Than come "You Sexy Thing" complete with 8th graders singing along :dizzy:

13. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 27, 2009

:hijack:Here is the link to Soulfege for those who want it -

http://www.myspace.com/soulfege

In addition to their music if you need a speaker for your class contact Derrick Ashong through the myspace page and if he is in your area he will probably set up a speaking engagement with you for your students or do a web video conference - just talk to him. The work he and Soulfege is doing is incredible. He is someone that all students should learn about, a very inspirational and incredible person.

Also check out this video about a documentary being made that Derrick Ashong is in - hopefully it would be completed soon - but you can see what an incredible person he is -

://www.TheShiftMovie.com

14. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 28, 2009

I like A Fine Frenzy, Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, Norah Jones, Missy Higgins, people like that. I like them because they're songs are generally pretty soft. I love to play music, but anything that's too loud or fast gets the kids too crazy.

15. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 28, 2009

I don't have any suggestions personally -- but i wanted to recommend staying away from "Kids Bop" or something like that. They have kids sing current songs... but ANY current song...things kids should not be singing about.

16. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Mar 28, 2009

I play Brian McKnight and Mariah Carey. Theradio.com is a great website that has a lot of different music channels, but they don't censor. I know other teachers let their students listen to it, but I'm very careful.