School and classroom library?!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MandaNicole01, Jun 20, 2008.

1. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 20, 2008

I'm at a new school this year and we have a library! Before we had to rely on our classroom library for the books the children wanted to check out and read. I have quite an extensive "teacher library" meaning children's books only I handle.

My question is...if you have a school library, how much do you still use your classroom library? I've checked and my new classroom has very few books for the children to browse. Should I try and build the classroom library up? Do you still have books bins the children can sift through? When do you allow them to browse? Do they check out books from your library and the school library?! We also have the bookmobile who visits and the children check out a book from there too!

I was thinking of just have books for them to use in the room...not to take home. WDYT?

3. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Jun 20, 2008

I have my classroom library as well as the school lib. My kids like using mine because I dont have fines!!! :)

I also have some very up-to-date books and mine are organized by genre, which fits in with our quarterly projects. They have specific genres they have to read, so I am well stocked on those. They also know that I will order books on topics they're interested in. I love WWII and so did a lot of my kids, so we went crazy with those last year.

I also took a class offered through our county that got me A LOT of library materials, as well as my principal feeling generous this year and letting me order $1000 worth of new books (hey, we got a 44% discount, so I really only spent 600ish!!!!) He feels bad cos we dont really have a budget next year, so he said "Order while you can!!!"

I also have my library back in a corner where the kids can chill, Ill see if I can put a picture up... its a great place!

4. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Jun 20, 2008

[​IMG]

This is a semi good pic of my library, well the only one I have. Its back in a nook in my classroom by the door that leads to the small copy room between my classroom and my roomies. It also has the attic door (we're in a building that used to be a barn!) so its really a bunch of un-useable space, so I made it my library! My neice made a Flat Shelly and sent her to me, so this is FS with our classroom mascot (the tiger) Arnold and Dude the bear!

5. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jun 20, 2008

Our students only go to the school library once a week, so I use my classroom library most of the time. They keep their library book in their desk and I usually let them borrow 3 from me as well. For my books, I make up a schedule and have about 5 kids trade books each day. They keep them for a week. I have certain books they can borrow. Other books are in bins and they read from them at the reading station, when they finish work early and sometimes I pull out baskets for self-selected reading.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2008

I have a library too when I taught kinder and fifth. We also went to the library once a week. My students could not take the books home, so they could read their library book when they were done with centers or read one of my books. I rotated the books out that worked with our theme, or just to put some new books in the library. I have a TON of books and so it would have been too difficult to keep it up. Plus, I only had a very small space for a library. I think it is important to have a section in the classroom for a library where the kids can sit down and read. These kiddos need as much print as possible.

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 20, 2008

Yes, a classroom library is a must even if you have a nice school library. You will probably only go to the school library once a week but your students will use your classroom library constantly every day. We still visit the school library once a week and check out books, but pre-k and kindergarten students aren't allowed to take them home, just keep in the classroom.

I couldn't function without my classroom library, it's one of my required centers daily for students during literacy centers as well as developmental centers.

One of the main objectives of any early childhood teacher is to instill a love of reading and books in all students. The art of reading requires much skill and practice, and to practice you need books. It's simple, the more children are exposed to books, the more they learn to love them- therefore having a good classroom library is a must.

8. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Jun 21, 2008

I dont have a picture of my picture book library... but I have that too. I had a good one when I taugt K. We have a reading buddy day when half of my kids are in strings, we go and read to the K kids. Its a nice break for all involved!!! My kids use the picture books. They are NOT allowed to take my picture books home, but the library books are fine!!! :)

9. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 21, 2008

We have a large "learning center" and I'll have a classroom library too. I'm not sure what the LC policy is regarding books that go home, but mine will stay in the classroom. I think it just promotes reading on a daily basis when kids have a cool reading area in their classroom. It can be really inspirational.