School 6-7 Days A Week?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Jun 26, 2013

I never thought of it that way.

2. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 26, 2013

I'd venture to guess that a majority of teachers would indeed quit the profession!!!

I'm 100% in favor of year round school, with 2 week breaks at the quarters and a 6 week summer.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2013

The school I work at is an 11 month school year. We don't get any extra time off. It's only a 4 day weekend in February.

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2013

I'd burn out a lot faster without my weekends and that wouldn't be good for my teaching or the students. And I'm sure the students would burn out as well.

I teach a Saturday School but it's only a few months a year and only a few hours a day. I like it but I could never do it year round. 7 days would just be ridiculous. Who else works 7 days a week? It's not like a hospital where one nurse can work 4 days and another nurse works 3. The classroom teacher would have to be there all 7 days? That's insane.

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 26, 2013

What grades and how many hours a day?

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2013

We have 3 schools that are K-8 & one that is 9-12. 8 a.m.-3:15p.m.

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 26, 2013

Wow. 11 months and only 1 long weekend? What about breaks during winter or spring? None at all?

Has the school seen improved educational outcomes because of the longer school year and reasonable start times?

That is much different than the norm around the country, even for year round schools. We had several of those in our district but phased them out because there was NO educational benefit. They had 3 week breaks between quarters but also had time off for spring break and winter break.

8. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jun 26, 2013

These kids need a break. There is no way I'd be willing to teach six or seven days a week.

What I'm a big fan of is what a surrounding district used to do. They ran on cycles. Students were in school for 9 weeks and off for three. When they completed their fourth 9 week cycle, they were on summer break for 6 weeks. This 6 week summer was the perfect length. It wasn't too short, and it wasn't too long.

However, they stopped doing cycle breaks a few years ago due to budget.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2013

We have the standard breaks: 2 weeks at Christmas & a week at Easter.

Thanksgiving is a 5 day weekend. Labor Day a 4 day weekend. MLK Day.

For the first time we had a 4 day weekend in Feb, it had previously been a 3 day weekend, same with Memorial Day.

The kids get a few more days, but they are PD days for us.

Compared to my son's school, a traditional public school, we go back 3 weeks earlier and stay in school 2 additional weeks.

My first year at the school we went until the Friday after July 4th. Because of state law we now end earlier & go back earlier.

Yes, this has been successful. Our scores are on par or higher then the state averages.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2013

How many instructional days do the students get?

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2013

Sorry, I meant to put that. It's 200 instructional days.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 27, 2013

Is it all about test scores? There should be more to life, and teaching.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 27, 2013

Missy, it doesn't have to be ALL about the test scores. There is more to teaching and learning, but at least in my test they test the very basics on the state tests. Any student well taught should have little problem passing the test.

The difference is, state standards now have to all be taught because they can all appear on the state test. In the past teachers could teach more of what they liked and less of what they didn't. They could even just skim over information they didn't agree with.

I remember when the state tests started in our state which was before they were mandated by the federal government. The teachers that had the biggest issue with them were the teachers that were cherry picking the standards. Those students always left their classrooms with major holes in their education because it wasn't the information that was preferential to the teacher. What was seen in the first few years was that the teachers that taught all of the standards because they felt it was important had students that performed better on the state test than those teachers that cherry picked using the rationale of teaching the whole student. The teacher that taught all standards did teach the whole student also, it was just done in a different manner.

What we did see was that the students that were "passed" and whose progress was talked about in terms of the whole child? That child failed miserably on the state tests because the child wasn't progressing academically nor was the child getting any extra help to do so because it wasn't deemed as critical because the child was "creative", "personable", "well-behaved" but functionally illiterate.

The tests aren't completely evil. The whole child can be taught and still teach the standards such that the majority of the students have enough knowledge to pass the state tests.