School 6-7 Days A Week?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Jun 24, 2013

What are your thoughts on having school 6 or 7 days a week? I was thinking wouldn't it be more beneficial to either have school 6 or 7 days a week or have it through the summer? This way students are not forgetting as much information. I mean over the summer I know students forget a lot of what they were taught. I just wanted to know your thoughts. I mean plus this way you would be able to cover more of your content. Plus having that extra days to do more with your classes. :)

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2013

I'd quit. In a heartbeat. ;)

4. Math

Math Cohort

Jun 24, 2013

:lol:

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2013

Kids need a childhood. I'm actually a proponent of 4 longer days a week.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 24, 2013

Me too.

I love my job. I love my kids.

But I wouldn't keep that love if I never got to relax and work on my home.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2013

Same here.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2013

I think it's a terrible idea. I would also quit.

If a student can't remember material for two days, then it probably wasn't taught well or should be reinforced for a longer period of time.

Kids need to play, to interact with other kids, and to spend time with their families.

9. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jun 25, 2013

Me too! I'm constantly saying that!

I've also wondered about 4 day weeks for on or above level students and then using every Friday as a flex day for struggling students. I think it could possibly be better for everyone if lower level students got a whole day a week without the full class rather than trying to cram intervention time into the regular routine.

Of course, selfishly I'd rather have the 3 day weekend every week

10. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 25, 2013

From what I understand there is a lot of evidence that supports a longer school year. Summer vacation is certainly an issue. I would not be in favor of a 6 day school week...7 days not a chance.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 25, 2013

At the school I work at this idea would be cringed at. Many teachers at our school(myself included) believe the high achieving students should be getting just as much attention as the struggling students. That they have an equal right/need to their "intervention" time without a full class in your example..

I 100% agree with you about not trying to cram intervention time into the regular school day.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 25, 2013

Me too!

I would prefer to have my summer vacation, although I know it does effect student's learning. However if parents are on top of what their kids are doing over the summer- tutoring, clubs, etc.- knowledge won't be lost necessarily.

I use my summers to continue my learning with professional development, reading books, going to places I would never be able to do during the school year. I need to be able to grow as a learner too- during the school year I'm giving my all to my students and school, I need some "me time" sometime :)

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2013

lol. Yeah. That´s just too much.

14. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 25, 2013

Yeah, I think that would be too much for Miss Zelda here as well. :D

15. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 25, 2013

At that point, using your idea of school every day, Math, you might as well make the kids wards of the state or defacto prisoners.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 25, 2013

Heck no would I want 6 or 7 day school weeks!

I started a thread about 4-day school weeks a while back. I'm sure many more people would rather have that (& longer days).

17. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Jun 25, 2013

Thats such a great idea, I would loooooove to do what I do every single day, it wouldn't feel like work anyways :D

18. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2013

Not good for teachers, not good for children, and not good for families.

19. melnm

melnm Companion

Jun 25, 2013

Are you kidding??

20. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Jun 25, 2013

The school I taught at in India was 6 days a week. Many students even went to "tuition" on the 7th day for extra learning. The school days were shorter though. Students went to school from 8-1. This is because the children are needed at home to do morning chores, and evening chores. They went home for lunch and then had "tuition", which is an hour long class (4:30-5:30) hosted locally in each village. Students did their homework during this time and sometimes the tuition teachers taught more content. All students from the village went to the same tuition class, even though they go to different schools during the day.

During the summer, students go to tuition for two hours a day.

But it's a very different lifestyle and culture over there.

21. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jun 25, 2013

I just don't think I could do it. By Wednesday, I am usually dying for the weekend, and I would go insane if I didn't have my summer vacation. I need that time to relax, refresh, and reflect. It makes me a better teacher.

22. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 25, 2013

That sounds just horrible. Totally institutionalizing education. Whatever happened to spending time with your family, for both teachers and students? Hobbies? Hikes in the woods? Family gatherings? No way I would work 6 or 7 days a week. Sounds like hell to me.

I recognize that there are kids who might not have those ideal family lives but I think there could be other solutions for helping them out and enhancing their retention.

23. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 25, 2013

7 days a week will never happen. Most parents want weekends to have some family time, and I think nearly all teachers would quit.

6 days might be popular with some, but I am against it. I think what we need to focus more on is more quality and not more quantity in education. I think teachers need time to reflect, plan, and adapt. I know as a teacher, it is the summers and weekends where I sometimes get those moments where I realize I need to make some improvements in teaching.

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 25, 2013

Just like batteries need to be recharged, so do people, kids and teachers alike.
    I think a little bit shorter summer and longer breaks during the school year would be better. Maybe 3 days or even a week in October (it's a long stretch from August to Thanksgiving), another 3 days or week between winter break and spring break, and maybe even a couple of days added to the Memorial day week. That would add about 2 weeks or so to the summer.

25. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 25, 2013

Yes, the people who are flatly dismissing the thought, are ignoring the fact that it is done in many parts of the world. And if students are competing in a global market (as we like to say), then why wouldn't we entertain it, even as a discussion topic on an internet forum? And yeah, you could say that it is a different culture, etc. But again, is it that out of the realm of consideration?

My main thing would be... they can't afford a 180-day school year. How would they be able to afford a 220-day school year?

26. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jun 25, 2013

A 6 to 7 day work week is ridiculous.
    Who in their right mind wants to work 7 days a week?
    It has nothing to do with finances. It has to do with the toll
    it will take on the people involved. I love teaching but it is one
    part of my life, not the only thing in my life!

27. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 25, 2013

I noticed I always have a better week if I do something fun on the weekend, like go out, see friends, socialize, etc. To me that justifies working hard, because I also play 'hard' :)
    When I don't do anything, just relax, I feel like all I ever do is work and rest and then I'm not as happy as I could be. If I had to work 6-7 days, I really don't know how I could deal with it. I'd be burned out in 2 months.

28. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Jun 25, 2013

Methinks our OP has his or her tongue firmly in cheek.

Enjoy your summer there, Math. You managed to jingle a few pedagogues!

29. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 25, 2013

It would be a bit expensive to pay us to work 6-7 days a week and during the summer. If I were going to make changes it would be to the hours. I'd like to see school from 9 to 5....I know that won't happen.

30. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jun 25, 2013

I worked 6 days a week all of second semster, as my school started a Saturday school program for struggling kids.

I didn't see that much difference in the kids' education levels, and about 50% of them actually WANTED to be at school rather than at home.

The 6 day work week did wear me down, but it wasn't unmanageable.

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2013

I support an optional weekend program for students and families who want it.

A 6-day work week would be unmanageable for me.

32. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Jun 25, 2013

I wouldn't mind year long school (same amount of school days but spread over the year more evenly). I don't think many people would get on board for the 6 or 7 day week though. Ugh.

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 25, 2013

I'm sure some parents would love that! I wouldn't!

34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2013

No, not ignoring. It just doesn't matter to me because I simply would not remain in the profession with a six or seven day workweek. Although I guess the word workweek would be unnecessary then because there would be nothing else...

35. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Jun 25, 2013

To be blunt, one of my first thoughts was YUCK! :lol:

I feel like it would be toooo much for the teachers and for the students. Everyone needs some downtime! I'm also not a fan of no summer break. The argument (for either) is that kids get more instructional time, but you also have to take into account the fact that many more people would have to pull their kids from class for appointments, vacations, etc. Teaching is already a strenuous job, and let's not make it more so by not giving teachers a weekend! (unless they choose to work on the weekend). Teachers who are more stressed out then they are now will probably not be as effective.

:2cents: My opinion; not offended by anyone nor trying to offend :)

36. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Jun 25, 2013

There are many things done in many parts of the world that the US is actually trying to change us away from! (Like rote memorizing of material and separating lower-level and/or special needs kids)

37. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 26, 2013

Yup. One reason other countries get higher test scores is that not everyone takes the tests, like they do here! Lower-achieving and special needs students are removed from the regular classrooms. They do not take the standardized tests. So of course other countries look like they are doing a better of of educating their students!

One of my paras last year is from Germany. She was continually amazed at the level of inclusion for lower-functioning students. She told me that in Germany, those students wouldn't even be in the same BUILDING.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that you can't compare apples and oranges.

38. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Jun 26, 2013

Caesar and I don't seem to agree on much, but we do on this....
    And if we do go for the longer school day, it should be to bring back recess, library, art, music and the other enrichment programs that have been lost over the last 10 years.

Read Teaching With the Brain in Mind by Eric Jensen for more researched information on Brain-Based teaching and learning.

Steve

39. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 26, 2013

Read A Fine, Fine School, by Sharon Creech. It is a picture book, but it sure backs up my viewpoint.

40. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 26, 2013

I'm not so sure it's done in many parts of the world. I found that some parts of China have school 7 days/week, but not all. Those that have school 6 days/week generally have shorter days or another day off during the week.

According to this article, there are few countries that provide more overall instructional time than the US. It's just structured differently.

http://www.centerforpubliceducation...school/Time-in-school-How-does-the-US-compare

41. Miss_A

Miss_A Rookie

Jun 26, 2013

No, i would abhor that both as a student and a teacher. I think high school should finish at age 15/16 and then students can go directly to work or university. Biologically, we are at our physical prime from 14-24; I think it is sad we are spending this entire decade doing worksheets through middle school, high school, university, etc. At the end of all this, many kids are in debt, still living with parents, do not know how to cook or manage a household, etc. I think this shows the longer education is not as beneficial as we think.