Scholastic?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ashley57, Aug 29, 2008.

1. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

Is September the month to order and receive the coupons for $10 in free books?

I seperated the flyers, but lost the cover telling me the specials (I swept the website, but couldn't find that part either)...

3. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Aug 29, 2008

When I ordered online, there was an icon to order $20 in free books...no codes necessary!

4. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

that's great :) I'll keep that in mind!

Last year they sent out coupons for the rest of the year with my initial order (I think it was $10 free with a $20 order)...was there anything about that? Maybe it was a one-year thing...

5. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Aug 29, 2008

I just finished putting in my very first order (how exciting!)...if you put in the code of your book order, there is a link to download the catalog.
    Which club are you looking for? Maybe I can give you the code for it.

6. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Aug 29, 2008

Yes- they're doing something new this year. Each month, you get books free with each $20 order ("No more coupons to keep track of"). They also have 3 free books with a $20 order. All of that is on the website.

7. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Aug 30, 2008

great- I have the catalog codes. Thanks :)

8. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 30, 2008

I got a calendar in the mail from scholastic, and at the beginning of it were coupons for each month of the year. (Boy am I glad I didn't toss that free calendar!)

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 30, 2008

No, they do this every year with the first September order you place.

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

My catalog said they were getting rid of coupons. Every month you can get $10 in free books.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 30, 2008

That's intersting. What's the difference? It doesn't really save on paper and ink since the coupons and promo codes need to be printed up either way. The only thing that changes is the timing.

12. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

You don't need to have the code (hence don't need to have the coupons). You get the $10 automatically. They won't be printing the coupons.

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2008

And don't forget...if you still have last May's "coupon"; you can get another free book in September!!! yay; I actually have my coupon saved!!

Scholastic decided not to print out coupons for this school year...so yes, we get $20 free books this month and the rest of the school year...$10 a month! whoppie!

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 30, 2008

Sometimes you could use the coupon codes over and over-maybe this will stop that and save them money??

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 31, 2008

But then, how do you get the books? Do you just choose them ahead of time and tell them on the phone "Oh and by the way, I chose these titles for my freebies."?

16. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 31, 2008

Once you get the catalog and the codes do you just start earning points? I am new to Scholastic and building my classroom library as well - I can't find a clear answer on their website.

17. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Aug 31, 2008

Yes-- you start earning points right away. When you first request catalogs for your class, you fill out a survey...it asks what grade, how many students, if you are a new teacher, etc.

I actually ordered myself in August so I'd have some "back to school" kind of theme books for the beginning. When my order came, there was a little "First Class" organizer in it (it has pockets to store student order forms, payments, etc).They also sent a "Library Builder Card", which allows me to pick a free book with monthly every Book Club order $20+.
    I just sent in my students' orders. I gave them 3 different Clubs to order from and each was over $20, so I got 1 free book from each.
    I also got $20 free from each (as that was the promotion for each with a $20+ sale), and 2 of them also included 3 free books! SO- I got quite a few FREE books to add to my classroom library! I also ordered something with my points already! WooHoo!
    I'm as excited as the kids for our order to arrive! (One started asking me the same day she turned in her order!).

anyway-- Go on the site and request catalogs to be sent to you. Mine came in just a few days.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 31, 2008

My kids do this too. It drives me crazy after a while. How can the books possbily be here when I just placed the order 17 hours ago? Once I marked the calendar three weeks ahead as the "delivery date" and just pointed to it if anyone asked me if the books had come. Scholastic is pretty good about getting books to the schools in under two weeks' time.

19. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2008

I got something in the mail that is a special promotion if you place your first order before September 20th...I'm not sure if it was just for bonus points or or free books though...

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 31, 2008

I got something like that too. I think it was additional bonus points, but I'm not at school looking at the card so I could be wrong.

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2008

sort of...since I have already acculumated bonus points; I decided to place an order for my books to be purchased with my points.
    I made a phone call and told them which books I was interested in (I had seen the books online in the Sept. flyer) I needed to know how much each book was worth point-wise; I wanted 11 books and needed to know if I was going over my acculumated points.
    Then, I placed a fax order. I faxed in my order to avoid a handling fee; your order is free if you have over $20 worth of paid books or if you fax an online order!! I never knew that faxing would avoid that little fee as I always have an order over $20!
    At first, there was a problem as they had not received my fax order; I did it again and there was no problem. The books arrived within a week.
    Runs/Scissors, are you already set up with Scholastic and have bonus points?

22. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2008

woohoo! I'll be sending out the Sept. flyers to my students this week! I can hardly wait to get that organizer! I hope I get one! :blush:
    Another first for me...Online ordering for Parents!!! Setting this up and getting an order will give me an extra 500 points! And parents can order using their credit card! :up:

23. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 1, 2008

If your order totals $200 or more you get an extra 6000 points. I was able to get 5000 points last year when I talked about Scholastic at my Back to School Night. They offered a Scholastic Dictionary and it is the same one I use in the class. I played up how important it is to have a good dictionary at home for 2nd graders. I had about ten people order the books. Also, when using your bonus points for the catalog you should check out the catalog on line because they offer items only available on line. Right now they have a really neat hopscotch rug. I'm hoping to get it. It's 3600 points. Click is also offering 6000 points for a $200 order.

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2008

wow! that's awesome!

25. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2008

Maybe it's just me because of the area that I teach in, but I have never gotten a $200 order...I don't even think I've hit $100 yet. I've only gotten close a few times. I have a very low number of students order...usually only 2 or 3 everytime. I never get those extra bonus points!:(

26. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 1, 2008

Yes, I have used Scholastic for many years. I have some bonus points, under 1000 but I'm not sure of the exact count.

TeacherC, I almost never get orders worth more than $40 dollars. You still get bonus points (I think it is one point for each dollar spent) but not all the bounses. Look for the catalogues that automatically offer double or triple points for orders over $20. You might also talk to the school librarian. She may have fine money to spend and that can increase your order as well.

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 1, 2008

Arrow Book Club says you get $20 per month in free books. Plus, the Sept. issue gives you 3 other free books - new titles (everyone gets the same 3).

There is a book about electing a president that is $1 so I ordered one for each of my students.

I saved the coupons for extra bonus points.