Scholastic?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by TeacherGrl7, Sep 25, 2006.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 25, 2006

Hello Again...

I'm posting like a fiend the past few weeks, you are all just so helpful to me as I'm trying to find my way through my first year!! Yet another question...

I am setting up a Scholastic registration so that I can start sending the order forms home to my kids. My question is how you handle the parents giving you their checks. Do you mail in your orders rather than place them online? It seems so much easier to do it all online but I am assuming that means parents must use credit cards or you must involve your own credit card with the purchase. I don't think all of my parents are in a position to own credit cards so I am pretty sure this option is out for me. Also, when do you make your order forms due? And I saw that there is a $3.50 service fee for an order less than $20.00. I am sure it's rare that this happens, but if it does, who pays that fee? Do you pass it on to the parents? Thanks for the help!!:love:

3. TeachAZ

TeachAZ Rookie

Sep 25, 2006

The easiest way to sign up for Scholatic is to call their 800 number. It will be on the last page of your flyers - in the teacher section. When you call, they will ask you a few questions and then you will be set! :) As for when you collect money, send in the order, etc. that is all up to you. I generally give my class a week and 1/2 to decide with their parents if they are going to buy any books. Once that deadline has passed, I either mail in the order form or order the books online.
    Hope that helps!
    Nichole

4. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Sep 25, 2006

You can place your order on-line, and then mail in the checks the parents give you. I personally like ordering on-line so I don't have to be placed on hold when I call. And it takes too much time to mail in the order form for me. Your order gets placed quicker, and they'll mail you your order when they receive the money. I have the parents return their orders to school (be sure to stress that they have to write a check, no cash!), then I collect the orders in a big envelope. Then, I do all the ordering myself and mail in the money.

(I hope this answers your question. When I re-read it, I'm sure I'm even hitting on what you've asked...)

5. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Sep 25, 2006

I just started with Scholastic this year, and I had the same questions you did. I accept cash (keep change on you) and checks (made out to Scholastic Book Club). Collect all forms and total them up on Scholastic.com. Pick whatever free books you want to order with your bonus points. Total it all up. I keep the cash and write out a check for all of that. Mail this check and all other checks in the envelope that Scholastic provides. You can send the order online before you send in the checks. Scholastic will deliver even before they receive the money! They will just bill you. When they receive the checks, they will credit your account.

Both orders that I've done so far have been over $100. It is highly unlikely that an order will be under $20, but, if it is, I would pay the service fee.

Hope this helps! I LOVE SCHOLASTIC!

6. Alitig1

Alitig1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006

The teachers in my school keep the orders until they have over $20 so they don't have to pay the fee. I am ordering at least 1 time per month and always have more than $20

7. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 25, 2006

We have the parents make the checks payable to the school. We then place our order online and check that we are paying by check. When we receive the order and the bill then we mail the check which the school makes one whole check.

8. PB&J

PB&J Rookie

Sep 28, 2006

If you would have an order under $20, I believe if you mail it in then there isn't a service fee.

9. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Sep 30, 2006

I just placed my FIRST order today. Make sure you use coupons and the $10 in free books for October. My class (and aide) made my order $100 and I ordered $26.00 worth and got free books and 781 bonus points!

I found these coupons online:

PC60533 for $10.00 free books in October
    pc52381 for free .95 cent book?
    PC60053 for 25 free bonus points

I sent in all the checks from the parents made out to Scholastic Book Clubs and then I made out a check.

It was pretty simple! But if anybody has ideas to get more bonus points please share! or any good deals with the book packs, etc.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2006

I may be repeating some stuff so forgive me, I don't have time to read all the other posts. There is a section where the parents can order online themselves. This may be a good option for you. You set up a class code and whatnot and then the parents can have access to the ordering page to do it themselves. However, they still have to give you their slip so you know who ordered what. There may also be a place where they can have their books sent to their own houses. Not completely sure about that though, but it's worth looking into. Less hassle for you and less mail to deal with if they have this option.

Also, if you do place the whole order yourself you can still send a check in the mail, it gives you that option. So, just because you place an order online doesn't mean you are stuck paying for it right there. Many times I even get my whole order before I send them the check.

Because I only deal with a small amount of families I send in their personal checks, not make out one. However, I would call Scholastic and ask them what they prefer if you are dealing with more than 5 different checks at any one time. They have never said anything to me about sending 3-5 different checks with an order though.

About the due date, I usually make it due the first Monday of each month for that club month. For example, my October forms are due this Monday. You can choose when they are due. They also let you back order up to so many months if someone is late. If someone is late, I let them know they will have to wait until I place the next order to have theirs added in.

One last thing, I have had no problems with ordering online, but I have had botched orders when placing them over the phone. I always order online because then I can see what is placed right in front of me instead of having to repeat things over and over to someone over the phone. Although, they always come through when there is a mix up, it is much easier to do it online, IMHO.

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2006

Yes, there still is a service fee no matter how you pay for it.