Scholastic Warehouse???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cameroncrazie, Jul 13, 2007.

1. cameroncrazie

cameroncrazie Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I have seen online that there are scholastic warehouses?? When I type in my state it says that there are none currently available. Can anyone tell me what exactly these warehouses are about? Thanks!

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

The warehouses are primarily where the books are shipped out. However, every now and again they have warehouse sales. At the sales they have everything between 50 and 80% off. The last one was in May. You can check out this link for a little more info. I hope this is what you were asking about! :)

http://www.scholastic.com/bookfairs/events/warehouse/

I went to one of the warehouse sales in May and got a TON of books for REALLY cheap! *You can also print of a Fast-Cart Pass and get an additional $10 off your purchase.*

4. cameroncrazie

cameroncrazie Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

Thanks! I'll keep a watch on it so that I'll know when there is one in my state.

5. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

So there is a warehouse sale 30 minutes from my house next week. How awesome is that?! Thanks for posting that link!!

6. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

No problem! :D

I will warn you, though. When they say there's a chance it could be hot inside the building, BELIEVE them! I went in May before it got "July hot" and the warehouse was so hot and "stuffy"...we were miserable!! They had fans going on ever other aisle or so, but it was still hot! Be prepared! Dress like you're going to play field hockey (without the padding, of course) in the hottest part of the summer! haha Ok, so maybe it wasn't that hot! I just don't want you to think I'm kidding!
    Then again, they could have a fantastic air conditioning system in your area! :)

7. cameroncrazie

cameroncrazie Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

how often do they have these sales? it looks as though the closest one to me is in Tenn. next month??

8. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

I think they have them twice a year at the different locations.

9. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2007

speaking of scholastic, and not meaning to hijack or anything, could somebody tell me what i'm need to do in order to start doing book sale order through scholastic for when i start teaching. i don't want to hijack, so feel free to pm me any information. thanks!

10. cameroncrazie

cameroncrazie Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

just go to their website and request catalogs. you can select the age level that you'll need and how many copies you want. if you do have a teacher at school that uses them, i would refer them once you submit your first order. they'll get points too, that way.

11. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

teaching-n-2, i'm glad you said something...i had no idea how to go about doing the book orders and such! thanks! :D your hijacking is appreciated!

12. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

The scholastic warehouse sales are fantastic. I got many multiple copy books. When I was there I found that most were 80% off. I would highly suggest you print your ticket early, you bypass the lines and get $10 off!

13. devama

devama Companion

Jul 14, 2007

wow thank you SOOOOOOO much for this information! there is a sale in the town i teach in in august! im so excited!!!!

14. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

There is a sale about an hour away from me, but I love going to that city anyway (there's a HUGE mall!) so I'm happy to travel for it!

15. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 14, 2007

I bought alot of books in May, but I think I may go back and buy a class set of something (maybe more than one something...hehe) for my classroom. What are some good books to have a class set of?

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2007

I am soo thankful that my PTO lets us shop in May with book profit! It's the only time that my husband will let me go, otherwise I end up spending way too much money. When he went with me I was just shopping and spent almost $200, which of course I told him could have actually been $400.

17. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 14, 2007

There is a Scholastic Warehouse only about a mile from my house. That is a good thing and a bad thing. My boyfriend went with me one day and I bought 150 dollars worth and he was amazed. I told him it could have been 300 and he just shook his head. He has a problem with the fact that if we want it for our classroom we have to buy it ourselves since they won't provide it.

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2007

I tell my husband that the basics are supplied, but you can never have enough books. As I'm an avid reader he has seen me buy a book, sit down & have it read in a day or 2. He'll take a week or more to read the same book.

19. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2007

Just to let you know, not every sale is the same. Some are good (the May usually is because they are trying to clear stock for the upcoming year). If I remember correctly, the August one is not that great. I believe I went to that one last year, and couldn't find much at mine.

It may just depend on your location, and the stock they have. Be sure to get a fast pass, at mine you just throw it in the box at the door & shop. No one checks id's or anything, so don't worry if you do not have yours yet :)

20. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jul 14, 2007

I have been to my local warehouse sale 3 times. They use volunteers to help restock the shelves at the "store." The volunteers are "paid" $25/hr in store credit. The sale prices do not apply to volunteers.

I worked a 4 hr. shift and selected $100 worth of stuff. Then I found a ton of other books that were 50% off. For me it was a good deal.

21. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 14, 2007

Dave, that sounds like a great deal! How do you get information on volunteering like that?

22. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

This will be my first warehouse sale. Do they continually restock or is it best to go on the first day?

23. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

I went the very last day of the sale and they had PLENTY of everything. Since it's a warehouse, it's pretty well stocked. Also, it seems that alot of teachers don't know about the sales, so not as many people go as you would think. I would just go when it's convenient for you.

24. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

mstnteacherlady, If you are looking for small reading group sets, see if there is a Borders Outlet around you. I picked up Raven's Gate and Chasing Vermeer, 6 copies of each, for about $20 total!

25. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

I've always skipped the warehouse sale, but I might go this year. Do they have other Scholastic items besides books?

26. BookWorm6

BookWorm6 Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

cameroncrazie-I laughed when I read your first post!! I was just on the phone with Scholastic a week or so ago asking about these warehouse things....I heard about them, but could never find one "available" in my state as well! Glad to know I'm not the only one!:) Have a great week!

27. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 17, 2007

If I sent my mom to the one in KC, would I need to sign her up on the Scholastic website first?