Scholastic Warehouse Sale

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yellowdaisies, May 3, 2014.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 3, 2014

Anyone else love them?

There is one starting in my area on Thursday... I am counting down the days! :D I think I have a problem... But shopping for chapter books for my new grade level is just so FUN!

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 3, 2014

I'm looking forward to one too! I've changed subject area and am anxious for some new books.

4. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

May 3, 2014

I love the Warehouse sales! They can be hit or miss, but even when it isn't that great, I get some good deals. My favorite part is the box of books area. When that section is good, it makes the trip to the sale amazing!

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 3, 2014

I did pretty well with the $25 box two years ago. I'm going in a couple of weeks and hope it's a good one again :). Other than that I don't get much. I tend to stick to the dollar buys and points when adding to my classroom library from Scholastic.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 3, 2014

I love them, definitely going soon to find end of year gifts for my kiddos. I do have trouble finding good books for my kids who are reading on about a 2nd grade reading level or so. I wish they had more early chapter books. Most of the chapter books are good for upper elementary or middle school I find.

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

May 4, 2014

I love AND hate them at the same time...but only because I can't stop shopping once I'm there.

I seriously have a TON of books for my new 3rd grade classroom. So much that I don't think I have the space for all of them. And I know my grade level will change after next year, but I'm not sure to what. So I shouldn't buy anymore than what I already have. But I just can't turn away from the sale :/

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2014

My district used to give teachers purchase orders so we could supplement our libraries. We don't get the PO anymore, but the sales are great!

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 4, 2014

I've never been. It sounds interesting, though, and it looks like there's one in my area soon so can anyone tell me more about them- what to expect, how good the deals are, what's the selection like...:)

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 4, 2014

Now that we have ipads, my students do all of their free/independent reading on those. I have a decent selection of "regular" books, but they never get used. I like the i pad apps because they force the kids to read books at an appropriate reading level, but it's a little sad to see the regular books going to the wayside. I definitely don't need to purchase any more.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 4, 2014

I have NEVER had success with the $25 box. I've always been shopping for first grade books, and the books in that section were way too hard. I'm hoping that I'll find stuff in that area now that I'm shopping for fifth!

Agreed! That has always been a problem for me too. I've really only been able to get picture books and readers at the sale, not early chapter books. But now that I'm in fifth, I get to look at the other chapter books, which is why I'm so excited.

Well, the ones I've been to are actually in a Scholastic warehouse. They are organized pretty well - K-2 together, middle grades together, and middle school/high school together. There are some adult books too. There is a section where you can put together a box for $25, whatever you can fit in it. I haven't ever been able to use that section because there aren't a lot of picture books. To the best of my memory, most of the books are half off, and some are more than half off. There are a lot of seasonal books. I would anticipate lots of back to school type books in the summer, and in August there were a lot of Halloween books. That's mostly the picture book section, though.

If you go on the website you can print out a pass that gets you $10 off $50 or $25 off $100.

I have always gotten a LOT of great books there. It's not as cheap as going to goodwill or buying the books used, but they are new books. I stick to paperbacks mostly, only getting hardcover books I REALLY want. The hardcovers are about $8 I think, because retail is $16 and most of them are half off retail.

As for the selection, I can really only speak to primary because I haven't spent time in the middle grades section (though I will be this year!) There are a LOT of I Can Read type books and lots of picture books. Some sales have more selection than others. I haven't figured out if that's the location or the time of year. I have been at a couple different times of year and to two different locations. Selection is better at the beginning of the sale, but there is still stuff towards the end.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 4, 2014

How often do they change what's available for $1? I just ordered all the $1 that are appropriate for my grade level, and I'm wondering when the selection will change.

13. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

May 4, 2014

I'll be going to my first one on Thursday.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 5, 2014

My entire room is lined with bookshelves and they are FILLED with chapter books for my kiddos. But I always, always want more. I can't even fit them in my baskets anymore-I have to stack them on top. It's ridiculous. But reading this makes me want to run to the warehouse 2 hours away and go on a shopping spree.

Why are books so addicting??? What is it about them that makes me want them all? The kids couldn't read all my books if they tried, and they do have a library here. Yet I always want more.

This year I have been focusing on book sets to start literature circles next year. I have about 60 sets so far. That's helped to keep my classroom shelves from overflowing, but it's quickly filling up my back room!

15. melnm

melnm Companion

May 5, 2014

We have a Scholastic warehouse nearby. I never knew what it was used for. I'm going to have to stop by next time I am in town! I don't even know what grade or if I'll be teaching next year, but I can't pass up a great book sale!

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 5, 2014

My coworker and I are going Thursday too! YIPPEE!! :D:woot:

They ARE addicting!!! 60 literature circle sets?! That is incredible! Please share your secret about how you were able to collect that many sets!

Just be forewarned - the sales are only at certain times of year. Other times, the warehouse isn't open to the public.

But when it IS open...it's like Christmas! :haha:

17. melnm

melnm Companion

May 6, 2014

Ours is open starting tomorrow and for the rest of the month! I signed up and got my pass already. Can't wait!

18. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

May 6, 2014

I am getting ready to sign up today. My school gave me $500 to build my classroom library! #niceone!

19. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

May 6, 2014