Scholastic Warehouse Sale

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pencil Monkey, May 21, 2011.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 21, 2011

So I went to my first one this morning. I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. Are they all the same? I was expecting a much larger selection and better prices because it was being held at a local arena. What I found looked like a slightly larger than normal book fair. Some things were priced at a good discount. The build a box thing didn't seem worth it because a lot of the books were in Spanish or were for younger readers.

That didn't stop me from purchasing some good books for my library. But I was hoping for some better stuff!

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 21, 2011

It's different every time I go. I agree with the build a box thing. . .at the warehouse I was at, it was mostly books for older kids!

Sometimes, it's great, sometimes not so great.

I got some good stuff though. It helped that I had a coupon for $10 off if I bought $50. I had a parent give me a gift certificate for my birthday so I used that plus one from Christmas that still had money on it. I ended up only paying $16 and that included a book for my son.

4. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

May 21, 2011

I am so glad that this topic is being discussed. I just saw that this event is being held in the next town over this coming week. I need to start building up my class library. I was considering going but it doesn't sound worth it... Any other suggestions where I could find books for a reasonable price to start my library? It will be my first year teaching this coming Fall!

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 21, 2011

If the next town over isn't too far away, check it out. Sometimes I've gotten really good things. I think my problem this time is that it was almost the last day. Should have gone earlier.

Check out library book sales, garage sales, craig's list, freecycle for books. At Christmas ask your parents to donate a book to the class library (or more). Do it again at the end of the year.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 21, 2011

Our local warehouse sale was great! The trick is to go the first day and be sure to register for the coupons. All books are 50% off their cover price!

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 22, 2011

It's been several years since I went to one as I switched to high school teaching. But I did go about 4 or 5 years ago. I wasn't teaching at the time and volunteered to help at the sale. I worked I think 4 hours and for each hour worked I got something like $10 in free books (of my choosing). Since I was off from work anyway that worked out great. So that's my one piece of advice, if you are able to be there for a good chunk of time, see if they need volunteers.

8. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

May 22, 2011

I love these sales. I'm lucky to get out with only spending $100. One year I think my total was $300 and that's at everything at 50% off. They have red light specials wHere a feature book is $1. I can normally pick up a few teaching supplies. When my kids were younger I also always picked up some books for birthday presents. I live close to the warehouse and we have two sales a year. I LOVE THEM.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 22, 2011

I love the $1 and $2 books!

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 22, 2011

Where are the sales held? I haven't seen anything on them...

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 22, 2011

All over the US.

12. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 22, 2011

Are they posted on the Scholastic website? How did you find out about them?

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 22, 2011