Scholastic Warehouse Book Fairs- Worth the trip?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clr2785, Nov 30, 2008.

1. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Nov 30, 2008

I just got an email from Scholastic about the locations for the Holiday Warehouse sale. The closest one to me is about an hour away, but I would love to go, if it would be worth it.

Has anyone been to these before? I'm a new teacher so I would love to stock up on cheap books, but how cheap are we talking about and are they good books or discards?

Thanks for any advice!

3. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Nov 30, 2008

Haven't been, but would love to hear from those who have. We have one coming locally and I've invited a parent to go with me. If it isn't worth it I'd hate to waste her time.

4. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Nov 30, 2008

I have been to one about an hour from me a few times. There are a lot of GOOD books. Some discounts are better than others, but I always come away with some deals. It is also a good time to stock up on gifts or treasure chest items. Often times there are great erasers and/or pencils for pennies!

5. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Nov 30, 2008

To be honest with you they are hit or miss. I went to two last year, one in Dec. and one in the spring. I bought a ton of books for a fraction of the price in December. In the spring - I bought just a few books and really thought it wasn't worth the trip. I would go if you are a new teacher and want to stock your library.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Nov 30, 2008

They're ok. I went to 1 last year and bought some pencils, erasers, and some Steve Spangler Snow. As far as books, the deals are ok. They weren't any books less than a dollar and most were between $2 and $5. I think you can get similar deals from the scholastic book club, ebay, or yard sales.

7. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Nov 30, 2008

I plan on going to the one in St. Louis here in December, but I can only go on the last weekend of the sale. Will there be enough books to go around on the last weekend?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  8. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Nov 30, 2008

I have been to several and would say it would be worth it if you are a new teacher and want books (who doesn't want books???) They aren't as cheap as yard sales (but not much beats yard sales...) but you can find some great deals!

If possible, sign up to volunteer at the book sale. You get $10 worth of books for every hour you volunteer. I have volunteered every time and get easiley over $100 dollars in books each time! Then it is definitely worth your time to go!!!

9. Lilymax

Lilymax Rookie

Dec 1, 2008

I think it's worth the time. It's true that they can be a bit hit-or-miss, but the Christmas ones are usually great. I've gotten lots of nice posters for just $1, and a lot of times they have craft kits for a couple of bucks. As the others have said, it's a great place to stock up on treasure chest items (bookmarks, fun erasers, etc.).

I've never regretted going; however, ours is only 15 minutes away so it's not like it's any trouble for me to go. ;)

10. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Dec 1, 2008

I would suggest going. Yes, like the others have said, it is hit or miss, but I always come away with at least a bag full of books. For us, the spring sale is much better than the December sale, but I am still planning on going to the sale when it starts this month. Just my opinion.

11. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Dec 1, 2008

I have a warehouse just down the road from my house. The sale in December is usually awesome. I always find something even with as many books as I have in my classroom library The last time in December I got almost 250 dollars worth of books for around 90. I don't normally have as good luck in the Spring sale, I think I got $135 for about 50.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 1, 2008

They can be a great deal if you are looking for books in general, but if you have something specific in mind you may be disappointed. When I have gone in the past I found it VERY easy to spend $70 or more in no time, but when I went looking for a specific title (for a class set or something) I rarely found what I needed. I'd say keep an open mind and bring cash. That way you can't overspend as easily.

13. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Dec 1, 2008

Just wondering....can you earn bonus points off of the money you spend?

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 1, 2008

No, they don't ask for account numbers or anything like that. The warehouse sales are overstocks left at the end of the semesters from the school bookfairs. They have nothing to do with the orders and catalogues.

15. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Dec 2, 2008

I work in a private day school for children with autism. We dont do book fairs, but we do have book orders done. I was wondering if there is anywhere online that list current book fairs in the area?

Id like to go to book fairs at some of our local schools. Any ideas how to get this information?

16. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Dec 2, 2008

ame8199 - go to scholastic.com and under the "quick links" on the right find the book fair tab. There should be a big Holiday Warehouse Sale ad. Click on it and follow your state. If you print off the coupon, you can save extra $$.

I personally wouldn't go to book fairs at another school. They are not discounted. If you want more books, have Scholastic send you additional age groups. I'm signed up for Honeybee, Firefly, See Saw AND Leo(Spanish). When I taught older kids, I would get catalogs for a couple of years younger and older. You only have to order $20 and could order out of one or five catalogs at a time. I get a lot of books on CDs for my Pre-K.

I've been going to the warehouse sales for over 6 years. (It is only 4 miles from my house and I've been there numerous times) The before Christmas is by far the best. I usually find some 5 for a dollar deal, but lately it's more expensive. Last year it was Cat in the Hats. I gave them out on Dr. Seuss' birthday. I usually get cute pencils too.

Sometimes the last weekend is the best. They drag out everything they overlooked, and sometimes give a better deal on classroom sets. I've asked before, and they are SO anxious to clear it out, that they have nearly "given" it to me. Some years aren't so good. I have so many books in my own library now that I spend my budget on hardback books that I REALLY want. They are usually half off. Look in the sale bins if you have time. Several years I found hardback books in the $1 area because the dust jacket was missing. Always check for missing pieces, parts, or no batteries if you go for something that isn't a book.

Good Luck!

17. kellerbelle

kellerbelle Rookie

Dec 3, 2008

I LOVE volunteering at the warehouse sale. My daughter is going with me to help this year. We both earn $10 sale credit for every hour we work.

Below is the link to start your search:
    http://www.scholastic.com/bookfairs/events/warehouse/

The sales are usually spaced out February, May, August, and December. I have found the May and December are the larger and better sales.

In the May sale they want to clear the warehouse for the end of the school year to make room for the new stock. You can really clean up on the the kits that are normally offered in the flyers. Many may be marked down to $1, $2, or $3 from the normal $10+.

I also use the sale for personal gift shopping. I think they are absolutely fantastic!

18. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Dec 3, 2008

I have printed out the coupon for the warehouse sale. Also, the book club thing...there is another teacher who does the book orders for the whole school.

Ive signed up and have some catalogs on order, but they havent came yet. I just noticed that I only can have my book club orders sent to the school and I dont want to cause waves with the other teacher who does it for the whole school.

19. teacherinohio

teacherinohio New Member

Dec 12, 2008

I went yesterday to the book warehouse sale. All books was 50% off the retail price. They had some other books price for final clearance for $1.00, $2.00, $3.00 and $5.00. I spent $64.00and got $150.00 worth of books.

20. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Dec 15, 2008

Just came from my local sale. I was told it was not one of the "big" warehouse sale, but a satellite sale. It was basically an oversized end of the year buy one get one half price school book sale. I wasn't too impressed, but did pick up a few good books. I took a parent who is a good shopper from my flyers and we pooled our spending to get the extra $10 off. I don't know if I'd go again.

21. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Dec 15, 2008

I went to the one here and it was pretty good overall. I went on "opening day" and was able to get the Rapid Math games that the November magazine had for 13.00 for 6.50. I showed them to my principal and she sent me back the next day for another 21 for our grade level. I had already ordered some with bonus points so I almost have a class set. Might go back and get 5 more so I will have.

22. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Dec 15, 2008

We are having one this week in Ft. Myers, FL. Is it best to go the first day (Thurs) or the last day (Sat.)? I am looking for books mostly and some hands on stuff to use in center activities.

Either way for me it is at least an hour and a half from my school to get there, but my principal is giving all teachers $50.00 and a coupon to go, so I want to take advantage of the deals!