Scholastic Question for a newbie

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, Jan 19, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 19, 2011

I am new to scholastic. Last year I did not have many students interested. This year I have parents actually purchasing books for their kids. :)

Normally I send the orders in as I can get. I never send them in all together for fear I will forget or lose the check. Do they bundle all the orders at the end for points and free stuff or do I need to send them all in at the same time to get the most points and bonus stuff?

For example...I sent in a order earlier this month for $10. I just submitted another one for $50 and they gave me free $10 for my order over $20. Was this because of the $50 or both of them combined?

Anyone understand?

Basically what I am asking is can you submit the orders at one time or sporadically?

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2011

You want to get into the habit of ordering only once per month. Normally, you get the bonuses for orders $20 or more. Order online and print out the confirmation. I keep that along with the original student orders and checks in a folder. When the books come with the invoice, then mail the checks along with the stub they send you. Hope that answered the question.

4. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 19, 2011

You got the free $10 because of the $50 order, they don't combine. You should keep them all together and order once a month. I make a due date for my class, and send the order in 2 days after the set due date (just incase I get some late orders). Like Mary, I keep everything in a folder and when I get the books, then I mail the checks. You can also set up online ordering, where parents order and pay online and all you have to do is click submit order when your ready. plus every time a parent orders online you get $3 to spend on books for your classroom.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2011

Online ordering is GREAT! I have 4 or 5 kids order each month (not always the same ones...), which isn't a ton, but I earn so many free books!

I think this month I had 4 kids order a few books each, and I ended up with about 25 new books for the room.

I love not having to handle the money - I've had maybe two send in checks all year?

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 20, 2011

Great idea about online ordering. I'll try that.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 20, 2011

One more question do you get more than $10 free when you submit orders? For instance like if you have $80 in orders can you get $20 free?

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2011

No. And it's usually $10 with your first order, so you can't just submit 4 $20 orders.

But, they often have bonus point multipliers - like, spend $1-20 and you get one point per dollar, spend $20 - 50 is double points, and so on and so on (some months, they run specials where with a $200 order from one catalog, you get 5000 points!) So you can really rack up the points on a big order!

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 22, 2011

I have tried to encourage online ordering this year and even set u the first three orders to be done this way. No one has used it ever. This most recent order I didn't bother with the online thing and I had a parent call me at home asking what my code was! I might try online once more this year, but I'm not too sure it will be used.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2011

I have seen the same result with online ordering this year. Little interest. But I usually don't have a large interest in book orders anyways by sixth grade....