Scholastic News, Weekly REader, etc

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by jenybear0804, Aug 17, 2007.

1. jenybear0804

jenybear0804 Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

This year I am planning on getting a magazine for the students to use. HOwever, there are so many out there to choose from. I have seen Scholastic News, Weekly Reader and Time for kids. I think I am debating between Scholast News or Times. Which one do you use and prefer? Any feedback from those of you who use them would be great. Thanks.

3. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

We've used SN in the past but in the last few years have used TFK as it seemed to be more relavent to current events.

4. 2ndgradebluejay

2ndgradebluejay Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I used SN last year. This year will be using TFK.

5. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 19, 2007

I like Scholastic News best. I have the kids read them and then those relevant to our curriculum I save and pass them back out when we study that topic. They are a great spring board to introduce a new theme. I like how they stay on 1 topic too. Time for kids has a variety of topics if I remember correctly. I also have ordered weekly reader in the past and I like that a lot too for the same reason, 1 topic covered well. :rolleyes:

6. polgacri

polgacri Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I loved TFK, but its reading level can be challenging to some students, especially at the beginning of the year. I sent it home with students as homework with parents and on Friday students would work in a group, with a partner or by themselves (depending on time of year/reading level) to highlight answers to additional questions (5W - H) I made up. This year I am going to try a new one called "Studies Weekly" by North Mountain Publishing (look at their website for samples) because it seemed to fit so well with our Social Studies curriculum. They also offer a science edition.

7. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 21, 2007

I do the same thing! If it fits our curriculum I hold on to it until we cover it. If we've already studied that topic when the SN comes, we use it as a review. I like SN best also.

8. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 21, 2007

I decided against TFK because of the more difficult reading level for second graders. (I thought the third and fourth graders series was great though. It is more timely news.) For second grade, I like Scholastic News best. It is a little more like a "feature" article than actual reporting of current news, though. They can often handle it independently, and that's what I wanted it for.

9. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2007

Does Scholastic News cover current events?? I was told that TFK does that the best but now I'm torn between the two. I have to decide on which one I will go with too. Hmmmm???

Another thing, are you all ordering your class sets now, like in August for the school year?

10. Cindy5522

Cindy5522 Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Last year, I had both TFK and SN. I preferred SN. TFK covers more current events. I found the reading level more challenging for the majority of my class last year, also. SN fit our content better. Like other posters have said, if we hadn't covered a topic yet, I saved that particular article for later. If we had already covered a topic when it arrived, we used it for review. I chose to order only SN this year. I usually use it in one of our centers.

11. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2007

Can anyone tell me if it would be a good idea to do my ordering now for the school year?? Or do you all wait until the school year starts? I'm just wondering because I put the price of the subscription for each child on the school supply list and I'm expecting "most" kids will turn in their money. But...I don't want to order my subscription too late. Any suggestions???

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 25, 2007

I picked Scholastic news this year primarily because they explicitly said they were covering the primaries. None of the other magazines states that. I also ordered WR Science. My kids are older though. I only have 1 second grader.

13. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 26, 2007

In my experience, they hold the price for quite a while. I usually order after school starts.

14. Cindy5522

Cindy5522 Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I ordered my SN at the end of last year as a renewal. They don't actually bill you until the new school year. If you order it early enough, they will get you your first set in time. If you wait, you may not get the September issue of SN is what the customer service rep at Scholastic told me.

15. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 26, 2007

I have used both Scholastic News and Weekly Reader and really liked them both. This past year, I used Time For Kids and didn't like it at all. The content was way to challenging for my students and I found myself reading most of it instead of them. I won't use that magazine again.

16. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 26, 2007

I would do your ordering Now as opposed to later. I forgot to order last year and a huge bunch of 4 arrived like in late October and it was a bumber to have to use them up really fast. Another reason I like Scholastic News is you get the points toward free books on your book orders, yeah!!! :woot:

17. Mrs. Chick

Mrs. Chick Rookie

Aug 31, 2007

I'm trying the national geographic explorer this year. If I had stayed in 1st grade I was going to try their K-1 little explorer edition.