Scholastic employing bad choice?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by WELS 1, Oct 16, 2009.

?

Should Scholastic drop Whoopi as 39 Clues spokeswoman?

1. Yes, they should drop her.

32 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No, they should keep her.

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. WELS 1

WELS 1 New Member

Oct 16, 2009

I'm struggling with Scholastic's use of Whoopi Goldberg as a spokeswoman for the 39 Clues series. After her comments regarding Roman Polanski's case the rape of a young girl, I don't feel she should be speaking to my students (5-6 graders.) Some of my students got involved with the online website and they promote her on there as well. What options do I have to voice my concern to Scholastic? Do others feel that my concern is validated?

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2009

I definately agree with you.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2009

Email them with your concerns. I just saw a book series 'by' Whoopi at our book sale..."Sugar Plum Ballerinas"...I didn't put it on my wish list....really? She wants to make money off little girls buying her books yet thinks it's ok for some middle-aged Hollywood hack to rape a child and get away with it? Not in my world. Her books will not be in my classroom....my own little banned book list.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2009

What exactly did she say about the Roman Polanski thing?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2009

WG: "It wasn't rape-rape..."

really?

There are words I won't use here to express what I think of her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NX_D0Bv9M0

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 16, 2009

I happen to like Whoopi, despite the fact that I vehemently disagree with her on this issue.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2009

Man. That's not appropriate.

I don't think that she should be professionally affiliated with a company which focuses on the educational needs of children if she holds these sorts of beliefs. I actually find that sort of offensive and creepy.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2009

That show is so going down the tubes...in a quick way. Joy Behar is also intolerable. :2cents:

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 16, 2009

I'm not commenting on the abortion comment, just on the Roman Polaski comment and the foul language comment. I just wrote Scholastic an email telling them why I will not be participating in their 39 Clues event and asking them to reconsider their choice. If enough people voice their opinion, then even if they don't reconsider, they will understand the lack of participation and possible negative long term consequences in terms of teacher participation in their merchandizing.

I encourage everyone who has a strong feeling about this to email Scholastic directly and let them know how you feel and why. When it comes to there bottom dollar, most companies tend to be fairly responsive.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 16, 2009

I felt exactly the same way when I got the e-mail today. I'm glad someone put their finger on this issue and the bad choice Scholastic made-I may write a letter this weekend as well.

Czacza-good for you with the series. I would have done the same thing.

12. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 17, 2009

Since I've had a D&C I refuse to comment on the abortion issue. Women have the legal right to chose, regardless of INDIVIDUAL religious beliefs.

That said, RAPE = BAD mmmkay? (and if you don't get the South Park reference, lol)

13. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Oct 17, 2009

Scholastic is crazy

Why would they put a person like Whoopi in a position to represent their company?

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2009

You refuse to comment...... yet you did..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 17, 2009

Uhm, as a victim (not as a child though) there is not such thing as "rape-rape". Rape destroys you. I think anybody who uses Whoopi really needs to rethink what they're trying to put across. She's a great actress, I usually like her, but EWW. :(

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2009

I would do the same thing!
    :thumb: Totally agree! Scholastic won't have a clue unless we let them know.

17. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 17, 2009

I am in complete agreement. Why would they even choose Whoopi? Does she have any influence over kids in any way? Do Scholastic book club kids even know who she is? They are at school when she is on TV, and as far as I know has not made a movie for kids in years. hmmmm.

A very weird choice.

I will also email them and tell them she is no role model for kids. Their choice says a lot about Scholastic that I never would have suspected . . .

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2009

I thought I'd go to Scholastic's 39 Clues Page to see how W. Goldberg's pic was set up...I didn't find a clue :)Dexcuse the pun). LOL Do you think Scholastic has already pulled it?

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 17, 2009

I think it was a weird choice in the first place but I do want to add that the day after the Roman Polanski comment Whoopi came out and said she didn't mean it the way it sounded, she to was trying to say that what he was convicted of wasn't "rape-rape" but so sex with a minor and that in any case sex with a child was obviously rape and not consensual. She still is not a great choice for a spokesperson, but we have all had things come out wrong and her comments about Roman Polanski may have been one of those times that it just came out differently than intended.

20. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 17, 2009

But, she has a filthy mouth all the time. I think she is a great actress, just a terrible role model for kids and should not be held up as one.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

The press release regarding Whoopi's involvement with the 39 Clues series can be found at:
    http://mediaroom.scholastic.com/node/252

You can email your concerns to 'cmeloto' at the scholastic email address listed at the above link.

Got a response to my Scholastic email:
    Your comments regarding Whoopi Goldberg’s participation in The 39 Clues™ webcast on November 2nd were forwarded to me and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

The quote regarding the Polanski case, made on The View on September 29th by Ms Goldberg, “It was something else but I don’t believe it was rape-rape.” It is our understanding that, while receiving factual details on the case simultaneously from her producer speaking into her earphone from the control room, Ms. Goldberg was attempting to clarify the precise legal charge against Mr. Polanski. Mr. Polanski was charged with having sex with a minor, not rape. Ms. Goldberg went on to say that she is not a supporter of Roman Polanski.

Ms. Goldberg has long been a dedicated champion of literacy and quality education for all children and has, at numerous times, participated in activities with Scholastic that promote reading and learning. For example, she hosted a previous webcast on The 39 Clues that was well received by teachers, librarians, parents and kids and can be seen online at: http://www.scholastic.com/kids/stacks/videos/ (click on Your Favorite Series on the left side.). Ms. Goldberg has also been a powerful and supportive presenter at the awards ceremony for the top student writers and artists recognized by the 87-year-old Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. In addition, she has also been actively involved in the “Get Caught Reading Campaign” and received the 2009 Impact Award from the Every Child a Reader Foundation for her work on behalf of children’s books and literacy.

I hope the information above regarding her comments helps clarify what Ms. Goldberg was saying in her remarks as she attempted to use very precise language regarding the legal charges. Of course, we fully respect your right to make your own judgment about participating in The 39 Clues webcast or other Scholastic programs.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this or other concerns.

Sincerely,

Kyle Good, VP, Corporate Communications, Scholastic Inc.

22. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2009

I finally sent in my email and expressed my disappointment in Scholastic's choice.
    I don't care if W. Goldberg has won numerous awards as mentioned in the email, she is an actress. I happen to NOT like her attitude; she is a very rude person and displays herself as such.
    Thanks for sharing your email, CZACZA. :)

23. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Oct 25, 2009

All she was trying to point out was that there are different degrees of what the law says is rape. If a 27 year old woman were to have sex with a 15 year old boy, don't you think that boy could be ecstatic? Still, that's called rape...

That being said, in this case, according to wikipedia, Pulanski drugged the girl and performed sexual acts on her without her consent. Therefore...guess what Whoopi?...it's called rape. Sex against the will of the other person...

I am a strong contender that there are different degrees of rape (young woman who wears skimpy clothing and goes to a bar, gets drunk on her own dime, and goes back to a stranger's apartment doesn't DESERVE what she gets, but she is certainly not making smart decisions...vs. a woman being violently pulled into the bushes...vs. a woman being drugged anywhere, anytime....vs. a boyfriend, husband, etc forcing himself upon an unwilling partner...vs. incest in its many variants). A woman never deserves what happens, of course, but I believe it's worth considering the entire situation AND everyone's point of view. It's a discussion that needs to happen, but the way to start the discussion is NOT by calling something that is rape not rape.

24. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 25, 2009

I'd disagree about the degrees. Rape is rape. No means no. Suggesting that wearing skimpy clothing makes it less rape simply justifies unjustifiable actions.

25. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Oct 25, 2009

It's not about justifying behavior. It's about making smart choices. It's about understanding that a person who thinks it's okay to attack a random woman is a different person than someone who ignores a girl muttering no when she's been saying yes all night. The violation may be the same, but the "violator" changes. Does that make sense?

26. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 25, 2009

Sorry but I'm just going to have to disagree. Statistically speaking you are more likely to be attacked by someone you know well than by someone you just met or don't know. So statistically speaking a "smart" woman would never enter a relationship because she is likely to be attacked by her husband/father/brother-in-law, etc. Also women who are saying no to a guy who goes to far generally don't "mutter" no and being interested in a guy does not imply that they are saying "yes all night." That kind of assumption is what leads men (or women) to think it is okay to take advantage of someone else because they were "asking for it". Sorry but I just completely disagree.

27. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Oct 25, 2009

All I am saying is that it's not as black and white. That's all. I know very few people who can discuss this without getting overly emotional, which is understandable. But if you listen to other people talk about it, you start to realize that the issue is far more complex than just the woman's word. There is a whole situation going on. In our society at the moment, all a girl has to do is cry rape and she is listened to, she is immediately the victim. That shouldn't be allowed to happen. I think a narrower definition of what rape is could help prevent that. It could also help more women come forward with their various violation stories -- often the word rape itself prevents women from seeking help where it's needed.

I hope I don't sound insensitive -- I am far from it. I just believe in looking at both points of view.

28. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 25, 2009

Well like I said earlier I'm going to agree to disagree. There are some issues where points of view don't matter. No means no period. No ifs, ands, buts or maybes.

But I do think that we are veering off topic so I won't post on this thread again about this. If you'd like to discuss this furthur I'll happily pick it up in an appropriate thread.

29. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2009

Once again, I have the feeling we are being flamed.

That said, I find the explanation provided by Scholastic that Whoopi was not putting forth the "rape-rape" comment as a personal opinion but as a clarification of the legal charges to be plausible.

I agree that rape is not acceptable in any way, shape or form -- I was date-raped in high school.

However, my question is did she really say, in essence, that it was acceptable, or was she just trying to clarify the charges? If that really was the case, should the furor continue?

30. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2009

BTW, I think there should be a third option in the poll -- "Should we wait until we get the full story before we start over-reacting?"

Otherwise, it is like trying to answer that old saw "If you aren't with me, you are against me," or "When did you stop beating your wife?"

31. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2009

Well; I also heard from Scholastic today and got the exact email as did CZACZA:

Your comments to Charisse Meloto regarding Whoopi Goldberg’s participation in The 39 Clues™ webcast on November 2nd were forwarded to me and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

The quote regarding the Polanski case, made on The View on September 29th by Ms Goldberg, “It was something else but I don’t believe it was rape-rape.” It is our understanding that, while receiving factual details on the case simultaneously from her producer speaking into her earphone from the control room, Ms. Goldberg was attempting to clarify the precise legal charge against Mr. Polanski. Mr. Polanski was charged with having sex with a minor, not rape. Ms. Goldberg went on to say that she is not a supporter of Roman Polanski.

Ms. Goldberg has long been a dedicated champion of literacy and quality education for all children and has, at numerous times, participated in activities with Scholastic that promote reading and learning. For example, she hosted a previous webcast on The 39 Clues that was well received by teachers, librarians, parents and kids and can be seen online at: http://www.scholastic.com/kids/stacks/videos/ (click on Your Favorite Series on the left side.). Ms. Goldberg has also been a powerful and supportive presenter at the awards ceremony for the top student writers and artists recognized by the 87-year-old Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. In addition, she has also been actively involved in the “Get Caught Reading Campaign” and received the 2009 Impact Award from the Every Child a Reader Foundation for her work on behalf of children’s books and literacy.

I hope the information above regarding her comments helps clarify what Ms. Goldberg was saying in her remarks as she attempted to use very precise language regarding the legal charges. Of course, we fully respect your right to make your own judgment about participating in The 39 Clues webcast or other Scholastic programs.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this or other concerns.

Sincerely,

Kyle Good, VP, Corporate Communications, Scholastic Inc.

212-343-4563, kgood@scholastic.com

I don't know why I thought I'd get a "personal" email.
    This stinks.
    :crosseyed

32. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 26, 2009

Still don't like her!!

33. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2009

What Whoopie said:
    not rape rape

Sounds like she is justifying why he "wasn't charged". After all, the 13 year old girl "was aware" (whatever that means.....rape victims usually do), and her parent's were aware, too. I don't get the logic.

34. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2009

Oops, sorry cza, I see you posted it too. I should have looked back at the first page.
    ETA: Your clip shows a different part mine didn't include.