Scholastic book sets for new teachers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 4, 2008

I've heard Scholastic sells book sets by grade level, but I can't find it on the site! Well, actually, I have found book sets, but they're like $300-$975!! Who has that kinda money? I thought I read that Scholastic has 40 books for $49, that's geared towards new teachers. Is that some once-a-year sale or something?

I'm lost...

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 4, 2008

By the way, I'd like to keep it under $100, if I can.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

I find the 50 books for $49.00 two ways. I get e-mails from Scholastic that sometimes offers this special and often times you find the special in the monthly book order form that you send home. (I find them in Lucky)

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2008

I think you can also call them and order it. They have the 100 books for 100 dollars or the 50 books for 50 dollars. I think they also have 30 books for 30 dollars. SO, if I were you, I would call them. That's what I heard you can do.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 4, 2008

Ooooh, I will call tomorrow, I hope they're open. Someone told me their cust service is very nice :)

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

May I suggest before spending the money on new books why not check out yard sales, thrift stores, and/or rummage sales. My mom is having a garage sale and I know that there will be plenty of children's books for sale. I went to a yard sale a few weeks ago and got 25 slightly used and some new books for 25 cents each. Sometimes if you mention you are a teacher they will cut you an even better deal. Also, town libraries sometimes have sales. I know mine does and the books are very inexpensive.

8. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

I would definitely look at getting books as cheap as possible. I was able to get a lot of mine from yard sales when I was trying to build up my classroom library. Ebay was another good place. Then when your students begin ordering from Scholastic and you start earning bonus points, you can use those to get additional books for your library or for small group literature circles.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 4, 2008

I know you can get sets through their Teacher Store section-is that where you looked? I know I've bought sets of like Multicultural Books or Caldecott Award books-if you look up "paperback collections" in the search - then you can narrow it by grade level. It's definitely cheaper than buying the individual titles. But you're right if they will give you 50 books for $50 - that 's a really good deal too.

10. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

In the monthly book order, there is usually a code for 40 books for 49 dollars, etc. They also usually offer collections like mystery books, high interest books, etc. to purchase with bonus points or dollars.

I bought one of the 40 book deals, but I was a bit disappointed b/c there were so many girl oriented books, and many didn't have Reading Counts quizzes. I've had far better luck at thrift stores. I also got a lot of seasonal books in my order, b/c I ordered them closer to Christmas. Good luck!

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2008

Is the 40 books for $49 a set of "mystery" books or do you get to see a picture of what books are included in the set?

12. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2008

I second the garage sale idea. I went to one and the woman let me have the books for free because she knew they were going to "a good home". Check Goodwill too...

13. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 4, 2008

You see a picture of the books from Scholastic...

14. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

The 40 books deal are mystery books, you don't know what you get...until the box comes! They did offer a "mystery" genre library set, but you were able to see the titles b/c it was available in the bonus catalog.

15. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 4, 2008

Has anyone ordered the 40 book deal? What kind of titles did you receive?

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 5, 2008

I have been to about 8 or 9 yard sales. I didn't find ONE book! Maybe kids out here don't read! Sheesh! I also went to all 3 of my local Salvation Armies, and got about 20 books this way. Most of it was Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley High...I won't allow that type in my library. If kids bring it in, ok, but I'm not going to buy stuff like this genre. I also went to the 2 used bookstores in my area. Again, I got some ok tings, but not enough to stock a library. Plus, the better of the 2 booksellers retired last week!!! I also registered for Freecycle, but my membership was denied! :(

So, Scholastic is my last resort...

17. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jul 5, 2008

I also buy "lots" of books on ebay!

18. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

Call your local library and see if they have used book sales.
    Ebay is a good auction. Lots of teachers auction off their old books.

19. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 5, 2008

It is a mystery set -- and often it has a lot of holiday themed books that you just don't need.

If you wait and join the book club, you can get much better deals each month as their "special offers for teachers." You can get books in sets of 6, or buy very specific books that you know your kids will enjoy.

20. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 5, 2008

Yes, be sure to join the new teacher scholastic club. They give you extra points and one free book with each order in addition to the regular extra points and books they send teachers. Scholastic also sells sets of themed books for $20-$70 that are for different grade levels (such as farm books or by a certain author).

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 5, 2008

I get lots of books at Savers. Before I used to buy them in practically any condition but now I will only buy it if I know it's a good book or a good series, and if they are in decent condition! They are 69 cents each usually, but sometimes hard cover books are a little more, like a dollar or two, and short paperback books are sometimes 49 cents. Most of my books are from there, or were ordered with Scholastic Bonus Points.

22. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

Anytime I've gotten the 100 books from Scholastic they've been a set of "mystery" books. I would imagine the same would be said for the 40 books.

23. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 5, 2008

I bought of of those "Mystery" book deals. I wasn't thrilled. I bought it from FireFly and I got a lot of board books that the kids don't care for and always overlooked. I have done well with Goodwill. I've tried doing yard sales, but never once have I seen books. I was actually at Goodwill yesterday and a woman gave me a tip on another thrift store that had a huge wall filled with used children's books. That's going to be next on my summer shopping endeavors!

24. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 7, 2008

The scholastic fliers that come bound together sometimes have teacher resources in the flier holding all of them together. One set has 100 books for $100. They provide a great assortment of levels and books.