Scholastic Book Orders

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by paheidi, Aug 11, 2007.

1. paheidi

paheidi Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

Does anybody know if the book orders each month will have the $.95 books? What a great deal! :) Thanks!

3. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 11, 2007

There is alomst always a 95 cent deal each month.

4. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

$0.95 books??? Where did you see those advertised - on their website? I need to get in on this!!!

5. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

There is a 95 cent book in each of the student book order forms (SeeSaw, Lucky, and Arrow). This is a great way to get class sets of literature.

6. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 11, 2007

I'll have to take a closer look at the forms in September.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 11, 2007

I need to look in the new ARROW form to see what they have for .95 books this September!

I send out Book Orders three times a year- September, December, and April because of the book fair and other events with books.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 12, 2007

Scholastic usually has some fiction for $.95, but I wish they would do it with non-fiction more often.

9. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I'd LOVE for them to have some non-fiction in the $.95! Anyway, yes nearly every month there is a $.95 book. This is oinly about 15 bonus points! This month's Lucky book is From the Mixed Up Files of Basil E. Frankweiler! This is an awesome way to get class sets! I've gotten class sets of Hatchet, Whipping Boy and Lion, Witch and Wardrobe for about $15 (mixed with bonus points) each!

10. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I use points and a few bucks and get those books for my kids for special events. Christmas, end of the year and sometimes I have enough to get them a book for our fall unit or spring/Easter.

I only have 12 kids though in preschool and my parents are really great about ordering. I strongly encourage them to order by reminding them about the great selection, child appropriate level and amazing prices. I type up a little thing when I send them out each month (I send out 2 a month SeeSaw & FireFly) and tell them my top 3 or 4 pics from each hand out. I'll say "we read this book in class and it's always a hit", "my favorite author", "every library should have", etc ... and OFTEN the parents will order at least one of the selections I've commented on! ;)

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 12, 2007

Thanks for the ideas. I give out the SeeSaw and Firefly orders to my kids. It didn't go well at all last year, but at least now I know what kinds of things I need to send out with the forms. I love Firefly! Even though its for PreK, I find most of it could be used for grades PreK-1. Yes, there is often a book that I have already read in class. What a great way to connect reading in school with reading at home!

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

OH... MY... Frankweiler!!!! That is one of my very favorite books of all time!!! :wub:

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

That does sound like a great idea to encourage the parents, because sometimes they do not know what to order for their children. Some may not realize what is age- and level-appropriate...

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

I think that lucky has ralph s mouse as their .95 book, and arrow has the other book mentioned. I may have it backwards though. If you go through the scholastic site, you can print off a letter to send home w/ book suggestions. I usually go through & have the kids highlight/circle books they want too.

15. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I bought the $.95 book for my 7 year old every book order. No matter what it was. They had one every order form that we got. They also had a TON of books for under $5 each month. A lot of them were $1.95. Great deals. I'm going to weed through my kids' books to take to school for my classroom library. For bargain books, I also love the Buy One Get One book fairs. Our school does them every year, and so does the district I live in. I live for them, LOL!

16. paheidi

paheidi Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Thanks everyone! I have two years left of school and thought this was a cheap way to build a classroom library. You can never have too many books!