Scholastic Book Orders

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cocobean, Oct 1, 2016.

1. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Oct 1, 2016

I've been trying to submit my book order since yesterday, but there is a delay in processing orders. *le sigh

Anywho, do you use Scholastic book orders in your class? How do you like it?
    I teach at a Title I school and was pleasantly surprised to receive $100+ in orders from students! As a first year teacher, I love how Scholastic helps me build my classroom library.

A few teachers at my school don't send the book orders home because they assume families cannot/will not buy. I see this as a disservice to their students but what do I know...

3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Oct 2, 2016

Wow! I also work at a title one school in a very low SES area, but I only get maybe $25-$50 each order.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2016

What is SES? I keep seeing that and have no idea what it means.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 2, 2016

Socioeconomic status

6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2016

AH, OK! I even Googled it and came up with all kinds of results... Thanks.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2016

Scholastic often features a 99 cent book or two in its offerings. It is a great way to build s class library over time, encourage literacy at home... I also get class sets of books for holiday and end of year gifts. I currently have enough bonus points to get a new iPad!

oneteacher and cocobean like this.
  8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 2, 2016

I loved them as a kid, so I've tried to make them available. I hadn't done so at my current school partially due to SES fears but people seem to like them.

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 2, 2016

Low SES school or not, I don't think it's right to assume I know how my students' families choose to spend their money. So, I send them home. If I get orders, great! If I don't, well, at least they had the option to find low-cost books for their home.

10. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Oct 2, 2016

This is exactly how I feel!

11. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Oct 2, 2016

I teach at a Title 1 school as well. This is the first year I did Scholastic and I had $130 worth of orders so I got the 10 free books and $20 to spend. I bought the I Survived the US series so they were really happy about that.

Most of my orders were about $10-12 dollars from the students own money. I asked them and they all said it was their money. Some had parents pay but mostly the students. They were happy to use their money for what they want.

I'm hesitant to send the October one too but we'll see. Only because we just had the September orders AND the book fair. I feel like the monthly flyers are overkill and the should do every other month.

12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 2, 2016

We have a wide range of SES backgrounds in our school, but even if I was at a low income school, I'd still send them home regularly.

Scholastic gives points for every book ordered. So, let's say three students order $80 worth of books. The bonus points can then be used to buy books for the classroom. Those three students get excited about their books. But, when the box arrives, you also have new books to add to your classroom library that everyone else can get excited about. I feel like it's win-win. Also, I'm always sure to highlight the $1 books for kids when I hand out the brochures.

13. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2016

I agree with letting the parents decide if they want to order or not (and all the comments about that there are plenty of very cheap books that can be ordered - usually tons of $1 and $2 books!) -- in fact, I even had a family who ordered a couple books for our classroom library, and a book that I could give to a student who might not be as well off.

Really, no one even noticed some ordered books and some didn't when I gave them out on Friday - my kids were all too excited about the 35ish other books I was adding to our library and playing up...

Also, if you are willing to spend a bit of your own money - there's a set of 32 $5 coupons for $34 during these first few months. I use them to give each student a "free book" during the holidays, which allows everyone to be able to "get" something from the order, no matter what their parents choose.

This is what I do - I send it every other month. Doing it every month tends to get me fewer rewards (they go up quickly as you get to higher totals), is extra time, and with all the other little tidbits that tend to get asked for in terms of money, feels like asking for too much too often. I totally understand those that do it every month, though!

otterpop likes this.
  14. oneteacher

oneteacher Rookie

Oct 4, 2016

I use scholastic book orders in my classroom and I love it. I have added so many books to my classroom library through scholastic. I try to do one once every 2 months, but I never get very many orders. My average is probably around $15 an order. Some months, I don't get any.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 5, 2016

I love the scholastic book orders. A lot of items are very inexpensive. I would always send them home in case someone wants to order regardless of what the other teachers at your school say/do.