Scholastic Book Orders

Discussion in 'General Education' started by StarsofTommorow, Oct 15, 2014.

1. StarsofTommorow

StarsofTommorow Companion

Oct 15, 2014

Hey, for those of you who have tried the book club with your class, have you had success or complete failure with family orders (sending payments to school or online)? My October one was a flop. Try for November and the call it quits with sending them home?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2014

I've done it in two different classes now, in two very different environments. It depends on what you mean by "successful". Those parents/families who have enough money (sometimes even just the kids ... since you can get $1/$2 books often times) and are interested in getting more books for their kids order, and those who aren't, don't. Probably had about $50-60 in each order that I send in, and I do it once every two months so as not to be always "asking for money" (since we also have field trips and other enrichment).

In both the first case, and this time (though not yet this year), I also made sure to buy the birthday free-book certificates so that over the holidays, I could gift them each a book without breaking the bank. This way, everyone would have the opportunity to get a book from the book orders at some point no matter what their financial situation.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2014

Consider any orders you get a success....it means families are. Valuing their kds' reading life.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 15, 2014

It depends on the class. Last year I usually had 1 or 0 orders every month. Last month I think I had 9.

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2014

Yup, it totally depends. There are years when I have tons of kids order and others when I have nothing.
    Every book that makes its way into the hands of a kid is a good thing!

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 15, 2014

I had around 9 last month.

I haven't decided whether it was worth the work on my end. I might send home more in a month or so, but it was a lot of trouble to collect the money and submit the order. Plus, one thing was out of stock, and now I am responsible for providing a refund. It's not a ton of work, but I am crazy busy, and don't have time for unnecessary responsibilities right niw.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 16, 2014

I just looooove the bonus points! Last month I got around 30 free books for my classroom library. :)

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2014

Jealous! I have about less than 10 books so far in the 4-5 months I've ordered. Then again, I've also had about a billion (give or take 2 or 3) books that were donated to me from other teachers and the library, so I'm not worried at all.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 16, 2014

Like others some years surprise me. I got to the point where I thought it wasn't worth the trouble and this year my first order was over $100. I think now that they can order online helps.

I always go through the book orders with the kids showing them books/authors/favorite characters we have read. Then I think they go home excited to share it with their parents.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2014

I teach in an urban title 1 school. I have on average about 6 orders a month, last month was sept. so I had more interested. That usually comes out to anywhere from $25 to $80.

What bothers me about it sometimes is that to get the big bonus points you have to have orders that total up to A LOT of money. I guess it's easier in some suburban districts where people are spending more money each month, I'm not sure.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 17, 2014

I don't do orders every month, more like every two or three months. In early November I usually send a note that the books are great holiday gifts, and offer to keep the books and parents can pick them up without their child seeing them.
    I did an order last month and it was over $200.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 17, 2014

It varies a lot for me too. I also send a note that I can leave them in the office of they want to order gifts. Other ways to increase sales: make a sheet with a few treacher recommendations and let the kids look through it and circle 3 books they like. I also point out class favorites and favorite characters.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 17, 2014

I have a question - for those of you with parents who order online, do you hold off putting the order through until a certain date? I came from a school where parents liked to do orders on paper, and now I'm at a school where they all want to do them online. The problem is that I'm barely getting any bonus points when I put in their orders separately since you need the bigger totals for more points.

Advice?

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2014

I don't do many online orders, but either way I always have a deadline. I give about a week after I send the order home and remind parents on the weekly homework sheet and our monthly newsletter. If a kid brings in money late I would never turn them away, but that rarely happens, everyone usually sticks to the deadline which makes it less time consuming for me and better for getting bonus points.

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 18, 2014

I send home the flyers with a note a a two week deadline. I put a link on my website. I send home a reminder in my weekly newsletter the Wednesday before the due date. I post the orders after school...usually around four, after reminding kids that they are being turned in today. I have averaged $75 a month this year.

17. StarsofTommorow

StarsofTommorow Companion

Nov 8, 2014

I am still having no luck. Maybe try in Dec and quit?