scholastic book club was so worth it

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by amyt682, Aug 31, 2006.

1. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Aug 31, 2006

i just had to share my blessing today...book club order went in today...we combined the two second grade class orders- grand total $320...i have like 5300 points...god is good...i'm a first year teacher with few books...and even fewer chapter books...

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 31, 2006

I can't wait to start my own account. I ordered so many books last year on another teacher's account because I was only a long-term sub and wasn't permanent in the building. I racked up soooo many points for her and really wished I had had my own account!

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 31, 2006

oh Beth why didn't you just make your own account?

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 31, 2006

I tried, but didn't have a permanent school address. I didn't want to put that school's address and then have things mailed there for me after I was already gone. I spoke with a customer service person and she said that I couldn't use my home address and phone number.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2006

Beth- I had a friend who did use her home address with Scholastic (10 years ago though!!). I guess someone in the same situation could say they were a homeschooler? (I know you aren't but......) :)

In the past there has been a September Scholastic club offering to get a book free for each child in the class. I always have done this order and saved the book to give as a gift for the holidays. I haven't seen that offer yet- has anyone else?????:confused:

7. herins

herins Companion

Sep 2, 2006

My new display bookcase arrived yesterday FREE with my bonus coupons. I LOVE Scholastics! :D

8. TallyTeacher

TallyTeacher Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

I just did my Scholastic order this week for $230.....okay , so I spent $100 myself (haha) but ended up with over 4,000 points. There was no offer for a free book for each child, but you are allowed to spend $25 on anything you want this month if you order a certain amount....don't remember the amount but it was not too much ...and $10. a month for the rest of the year.

I, also love Scholastic...such a great way to fill you class library. Arrow is offering The Report Card by Andrew Clements for 95 cents....so you could get enough of those for 25 children for your holiday gifts....

9. aethurn

aethurn Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

Most times I barely have the 20 dollar minimum order...Why don't parents take advantage of these any more? Is anyone else having this problem??? I don't like paying that fee! But, I've had to last year!

I have a student whos family is donating 200 dollars for me to spend on books in my classroom!!! I'm pretty excited about that!! I was thinking about giving the book orders to their son and letting him pick a lot of the books! what do you think?

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2006

I think that would be an awesome idea.

Has anyone done that option where parents can order online. I have several parents this year who I think would take advantage of it.

I LOVE the .95 books (have at least 10-12 sets of 10 for novel groups). I also love to buy the teachers books they have using my points.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 2, 2006

I'm with aethurn. Most of the time, I have to add to the order to get the minimum which means my points are not building. I ordered about $300 this summer, but the central office ordered them so I don't even get those point. :(

12. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Sep 2, 2006

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to receive classroom library collections from Scholastic? I ordered 2 collections (600 books!) two weeks ago and am eagerly awaiting them! I have nice, new pockets and cards waitng for them!!!

13. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Sep 2, 2006

What's great is now you can order online with them instead of filling out all of those forms! Can't wait to start! I wish more of my 5th graders were as into ordering books as the 3rd and 4th graders were, tho.

14. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 2, 2006

I sent home my book orders last week on the 2nd day of school. I have the same students as last year, and I already got 2 book orders back from my 3 students. I couldn't believe it. Last year nobody bought books from me. My aides are also going to be purchasing some books too. So I should have lots of bonus points this month. Yay!

15. KIF

KIF Companion

Sep 2, 2006

During my student teaching I used my school's address. When I moved I called scholastic and gave them the new address. No big deal!!! It worked out great.

16. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Sep 2, 2006

Also, if you're near a large city, don't miss the Scholastic Warehouse sales, usually before Christmas and in May. They sell all the books they get back from the school book fairs. One year I scored copies of Magic Tree House books for a quarter each ... lots of reading group sets purahcased that year! Sometimes you can also get the junky novelties they offer in the catalogs - backpack toys and pencils, etc. 0 quite cheaply. Then again, sometimes there's not much at all (like the end of summer clearance I just went to here ... a complete waste of time and my gas $), but if it's not too far a drive for you, it's worth checking out. You can get on their e-mail list and get a $5 coupon and notification, or find info on the Scholastic.com site.

17. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Sep 2, 2006

I've always been lucky with my Scholastic orders. I usually have about 25 students in my class & each month my class order is anywhere from $100.00 - $300.00 or so. I always pass out the order forms about a week before they're due, then the day before they are due, I remind the students that they are due the next day & I ask who needs another. A bunch of hands then go up & I pass out more forms. It always works!!

I get extra forms by telling Scholastic that I have a class of 42 students.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2006

OK- tell me where that offer is!!!!!!

19. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2006

They have a catalog full of items you can use your bonus points on. It is available online too. They even have laptops, and big items like that.

20. herins

herins Companion

Sep 3, 2006

Exactly!! :D I saved up all year and had $400 dollars to spend. (But, yes, I did spend lots of money on Scholastics orders throughout the year as well). The Canadian Scholastics clubs are a little bit different, as we get coupons rather than points. We also never see books for under $1.